Pregnant cat belly dropped, then fluffed back up again / permanent personality changes after birth?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anniem319

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, not much you can do about a heat cycle. It lasts about a week and can occur about every 2 weeks, so if it’s heat, she may have one more cycle before spaying.

You can try putting a plug-in Feliway diffuser in the room. It does help to calm cats.
Thank you, I will get one of those!!!

Anniem319

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will being in heat affect her nursing? Different hormones and all that?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When my cat was nursing and in heat, the nursing seemed to actually calm her, so I imagine it’s different with each cat.

Anniem319

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my cat was nursing and in heat, the nursing seemed to actually calm her, so I imagine it’s different with each cat.
Now she is trying to hide the kittens. She looks frantic. I don't understand what is happening!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This may just be her anxiety over the kittens leaving the nest. If so, she’ll eventually adjust. Make sure she has hiding places, though they likely will not stay where she puts them. Poor mama!

Anniem319

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This may just be her anxiety over the kittens leaving the nest. If so, she’ll eventually adjust. Make sure she has hiding places, though they likely will not stay where she puts them. Poor mama!
OK thanks. I have that playpen coming, maybe that will help. Do you think having my son home from college and playing with the kittens could be part of her anxiety too?

Anniem319

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So it's not heat. She took one of the kittens and hid with her. I think maybe having my son home from college and letting him handle the babies was too much for her. The other 2 are on the heating pad so they are taken care of.

Will she come back to them, or to the nest? He's going back home today.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She should calm down after he leaves. I agree that your son’s presence may have agitated her. Just too much too soon. Make sure she continues to feed ALL her kittens though. Glad it’s not heat yet!

Anniem319

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She should calm down after he leaves. I agree that your son’s presence may have agitated her. Just too much too soon. Make sure she continues to feed ALL her kittens though. Glad it’s not heat yet!
I moved the whole nesting crate into my walk in closet. It's huge and she was interested in it when she was pregnant. Neither of us go in there very often. I put her litter, food and water in there too. It was too dangerous in my husband's office, even if she was happier there. Under his desk while he is working it would be far too easy for him to roll the office chair over a kitten. Especially since one is black and he'd never see her there.

I'm hoping this helps her feel more secure.

Anniem319

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK she is carrying a kitten and trying desperately to get out of my bedroom. But It was too dangerous in my husband's office, even if she was happier there. Under his desk while he is working it would be far too easy for him to roll the office chair over a kitten. Especially since one is black and he'd never see her there. My husband is the absent minded professor. It's not a question of if he'll roll over a kitten, it's when, no matter how much he loves them and is invested in their wellbeing.

She's a little frantic now. Should I let her out of my room?!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, I would keep her in your room. She just doesn’t understand why you moved her.

Can they perhaps be in your son’s room once he leaves?

Anniem319

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, I would keep her in your room. She just doesn’t understand why you moved her.

Can they perhaps be in your son’s room once he leaves?
I put the crate back next to my side of the bed. My son went back to college. The house is peaceful.

She came out without the kittens and I gave her a smidge of whipped cream, her idea of heaven, while next to the crate. She was beside herself trying to get out before so we let her take the kittens under the desk and he's just not working in there right now.

I also put a Feliway difuser in our room.

In your experience, do you think she'll return to the crate with the kittens?

Thanks

Last edited:

Anniem319

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK she is back in our room as of last night. Slept in the crate without a sound the whole night. Now this morning she WON'T STOP MEOWING!!!!

The kittens are highly mobile now. I did a thorough sweep of the room to kitten proof it. I bought a playpen for them to contain them a little but she gets anxious when they are in it. Is this just typical when the kittens start to move a lot? Do we just have to wait it out? Thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, wait it out and return the play pen. The kittens will climb out of it soon anyway.

Anniem319

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK here's a question for you. Can my cat's pregnancy affect her dander and make it more allergenic? I think I may be allergic to the Mom, but I've never had allergies before. She's mostly been in our home since her pregnancy. I'm wondering if hormones can make dander more - dander-y.? LOL Thanks

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK here's a question for you. Can my cat's pregnancy affect her dander and make it more allergenic? I think I may be allergic to the Mom, but I've never had allergies before. She's mostly been in our home since her pregnancy. I'm wondering if hormones can make dander more - dander-y.? LOL Thanks
I think its possible. Its known fertile cats are more touchy for allergic persons than say, neuters...

Are there more persons than you? The quickest fix is is to let this someone swipe off her with a bedewed cloth every day... Before she meets you...
And swab the areas in the the room every second day or even every day.... Alternatively to vacuum them if she is OK with the noise...

If there arent, so put a filter before your mouth, and do it yourself.... Clean off your hands after this...

Of course, after you handling her, rinse off your hands, even if she was swiped off. dont touch your mouth or eyes...

There are many tricks for an allergic cat owner.

Last edited: