Pregnant cat barely eating / the birth and kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The formula should be body warmth, ie slightly more than you are already giving.

You can always put in a droplet of white caro syrup or honey, or something containing glucose sugar on his gum under his lip. Do so several times a day. It gives some quick energhy. Do so before you set him to nipple, so he has hopefully strengh to suck.
Good you let him suck alone, so he isnt bothered by the biggies.

Observe, some of them add 10+, which is good, but some less than 10...

Sure momma has good and calcium rich food?
Thank you

Yes, amber is getting the best ready made nutrition i can get my hands on. She eats weruva, tiki cat, carnilove (not a big fan but she likes it), and ziwi. All wet food, nothing dry (not even dry treats). She gets raw (Chicken wing, lamb heart, rabbit ears, chicken hearts etc.) as a booster and an occasional treat. (Still trying to create balanced recipes of my own) She gets salmon oil on the days she eats weruva as it lacks animal sourced fat. High calorie treats are also a daily. She also has kitten formula 1 or 2x a day. And a multi vitamin just in case she needs it (:
-
I named most so i could differentiate:
(one day difference)
Oliver (the weak one) gained 4 grams
unnamed (also weak but bigger) gained 3 grams
Namla (ant) gained 10 grams
Koala gained 14 grams
Ka3bool (arabic name) gained 21 grams

Oliver is drinking more now, is still skinny but has much more strength and fights with the others over a nipple. I am giving him formula every 2 hrs bc i dont want him to depend on it as he is already nursing well, and i believe his mothers breast milk is much better than the formula

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: Oliver is gaining weight steadily, has a warm temp, has much more energy and is a very grumpy kitten for his age. He makes growling like noises whenever i pick him up now. The other kittens are doing great. One kitten is gaining around 20 grams a day, should i be worried?
- Amber (mummy cat) has a bloody vaginal discharge which i hear is normal, the thing i concerned about is that she manages to get the blood everywhere! On the sofa, carpet, all over the cat tree and her tent, and i have to change the cotton mat every 30 minutes bc of this. What can i do about this?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That seems excessive, though a cat can have a discharge for at least a few days. Is it watery or full blood? If it's full-blood she will most likely have to see a vet. Or call them and ask if there is anything you can do. Make sure she is drinking a lot. Is she eating and using the litterbox? I'll see if Sarthur2 Sarthur2 and StefanZ StefanZ are available, they are experts at this......

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its mostly watery with something whitish but with blood clots, her litter box has been used and she drinks a lot of water.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a relief that it is watery. Keep an eye on it, if it gets really smelly or turns thicker and white or yellow, she will need an antibiotic. a vet checkup would be needed to make sure she doesn't have a kitten still in there or some kind of other problem.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Update: Oliver is gaining weight steadily, has a warm temp, has much more energy and is a very grumpy kitten for his age. He makes growling like noises whenever i pick him up now. The other kittens are doing great. One kitten is gaining around 20 grams a day, should i be worried?
- Amber (mummy cat) has a bloody vaginal discharge which i hear is normal, the thing i concerned about is that she manages to get the blood everywhere! On the sofa, carpet, all over the cat tree and her tent, and i have to change the cotton mat every 30 minutes bc of this. What can i do about this?
20grammes is OK, some do it, just be pleased. But I see a couple of others gain barely, not even the minimum 6 g.
Happy your runt is recovering, but you have some problems elsewhere too.

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
20grammes is OK, some do it, just be pleased. But I see a couple of others gain barely, not even the minimum 6 g.
Happy your runt is recovering, but you have some problems elsewhere too.
All except Oliver have gained 10+ grams today. The gains I had listed before were over 24 hours ago. Took them to the vet today, he told me they were mostly fine, he gave amber antibiotics (for her gums, unrelated to pregnancy and already dealt with) he said the blood was fine and to place her in a separate room

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
update: Olive was the first to open his eyes, who wouldve guessed
Theyre all doing great. I have noticed however that one of the kittens has big paws, or limbs in general, is this normal? Does it mean he would be a big cat when all grown up?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, most likely he will grow to be a big boy! My runt had big paws and is now a huge cat!

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you!
His parents are very small cats i wonder where he got it from (:

After noticing this i began to look at all my other cats paws and noticed that one has paws that point outwards when standing, is this something to worry about or am i overthinking. Perhaps shes double-jointed?

Attachments

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, can i use this method if the cat is an adult and no longer growing?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You could try, but it works best on young kittens while their tendons and bones are still malleable. You should get started on that kitten right away.

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I put it on her and she would remove it constantly, I put an e collar onto the kitten to stop her but her mother took it off and chewed on it. Is it okay to lower the amount of time to about 10 minutes twice a day until they get used to it? She seems to be running around and playing just fine and even more than her siblings, so I think she doesn't need it for a long period of time but ill try my best to keep it on for as long as I can. My other cat (adult) has the same issue, she hasn't showed any symptoms of pain or immobility. Should I put splints on her too? Perhaps I should take them to the vet, or is that unnecessary if there are no symptoms? Their vet has never acknowledged this during their checkups

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: Kittens are huge, most of them have big limbs and I wonder how (both parents are small cats)
They all opened their eyes and respond to movement, theyre beginning to groom and nibble one another too. They also meow back whenever i talk to them
This is how I noticed that one of them has a very very quiet meow, he opens him mouth but no sound comes out, and very rarely I hear his tiny meow. Is this okay?

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: kittens are growing teeth and biting, is there anything I need to do? Theyre 3 weeks and 5 days old. When can I get them to eat/go to the litter box? What texture of food should i introduce first?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens with a mom tend to wean best between 5 and 8 weeks, but will continue to nurse mom also. They are a week or two on the young side, but start with a slurry made of soft pate and formula. Once they begin eating soft foods you can introduce the litter box.

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens with a mom tend to wean best between 5 and 8 weeks, but will continue to nurse mom also. They are a week or two on the young side, but start with a slurry made of soft pate and formula. Once they begin eating soft foods you can introduce the litter box.
Thank you so much