Pregnant Cat Acting Strange...

G123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi all, I’m new to this site and have recently adopted a stray cat.. when I adopted her we didn’t know she was pregnant however I noticed around a week and a half ago that she was rather large, eating a LOT more than usual and seemed to be nesting. I have checked her over and her nipples are far more pronounced than usual.. for the past three days she has been showing signs of nearing birth (impossible to find a date in which she fell pregnant).. she has been more loving, nesting A LOT, sleeping all the time and her appetite has been a lot lower than before. I’ve never had a litter of cats before but I am a little worried as she seems to be smaller than before? For the past 3 nights she has called out waking me up early in the morning and she’s either eating or licking herself!! When she goes to sleep she seems to be twitching in her sleep, more of a full body twitch than what I have read about? She isn’t having contractions from what I can see but has been showing signs for a good 3/4 days, should I be worried or am I just panicking due to it being my first time?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

G123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry I meant sleeping and licking herself!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you are worrying. But she is nearing, she is.
Nesting they do quite shortly before. Her eating less is prob because she is full inside, so she can eat just a little at a time...
Still be observant - they CAN get sick although in high preg. Several days of non eating is Red alert, as one of our formites exerienced the other day...

Also, it seems she has dropped, as she seems smaller
So the delivery is very soon now, perhaps just hours away...

Use the time left to prepare as well you can, read on our articles etc...

G G123

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. The twitching is prelabor, first comes the Hickney Baxter hicks (or what they are called), to prepare the body for the real labor. Later, shortly before the delivery, begins prelabor with minor contractions

As long as real contractions hasnt began, dont worry too much.
What we dont want to see, is long resultatless labor, ie full contractions and pushing without results, more than 30-40 minutes - is a vet rush
The prelabor phase may be quite long, but the delivery phase is typically much shorter than with humans

G123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies guys!! Poor girly hasn’t popped yet but I’ve come home today to find the bottom of her tail is really fluffy unlike the rest of it?? She’s almost acting as if she’s on heat but a little different meowing at me a lot, she kept me up all night running around and has spent most of the morning in her birthing box...

I’m reallt hoping this means she’s close as I’ve been getting quite concerned about a phantom pregnancy! She’s very needy at the minute and is walking differently to normal. She has been eating just reduced amounts (unless I feed her tuna then she eats the lot)

Thank you for the reassurance, hopefully all is well...

G123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ps. The twitching is prelabor, first comes the Hickney Baxter hicks (or what they are called), to prepare the body for the real labor. Later, shortly before the delivery, begins prelabor with minor contractions

As long as real contractions hasnt began, dont worry too much.
What we dont want to see, is long resultatless labor, ie full contractions and pushing without results, more than 30-40 minutes - is a vet rush
The prelabor phase may be quite long, but the delivery phase is typically much shorter than with humans

Also she hasn’t had any contractions that I have picked up on, just little twitches!! She’s nice and relaxed now, just eager for her to have them I think. She seems to be very distracyed when I’m in the room so thinking about leaving her alone to do what she needs to do.
She seems to be breathing a lot quicker but still no contractions..

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
she has surely some pains anyway...
If you have possibility to give her something calcium rich - goats milk, kmr, yoghurt, cheese, it would perhaps be good. Cant hurt, sometimes may help.

G123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she has surely some pains anyway...
If you have possibility to give her something calcium rich - goats milk, kmr, yoghurt, cheese, it would perhaps be good. Cant hurt, sometimes may help.
Gave her a bit of cheese yesterday so will try that today too, shall I only give her little amounts? Didn’t want to upset her stomach. She seems content just a bit on edge.

Thank you

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cheese shouldnt be dangerous, the lactose is broken down in it. So unless its some sharp brand, should be OK

Why Im writing you shall give her calcium nourishment. Sometimes they have too little calcium, and it causes the labor to become weak.

In more grave cases its necessary with calcium injection by the vet, but most milder and on verge cases, may be remedied by calcium rich food.

So if better to give calcium rich food than pretend we dont see anything. :)

G123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cheese shouldnt be dangerous, the lactose is broken down in it. So unless its some sharp brand, should be OK

Why Im writing you shall give her calcium nourishment. Sometimes they have too little calcium, and it causes the labor to become weak.

In more grave cases its necessary with calcium injection by the vet, but most milder and on verge cases, may be remedied by calcium rich food.

So if better to give calcium rich food than pretend we dont see anything. :)
Thank you for the help, really appreciate it :)
She’s had the goats milk and she’s nibbled on some cheese but still doesn’t want to eat much..

Will take her to the vets if the situation hasn’t changed within the next few days just to be sure

G123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

So I posted a week ago about my pregnant cat Cali (a pregnant stray I have rescued)..
This morning she has been walking round doing the tiniest meow constantly (all the time I've had her she's never been one to meow a lot)
I've noticed her in both birthing areas I have made for her, scratching at the blankets and towels to rearrange them, she's been on and off jumping on the bed and giving me love then flopping over. Last night she was laid on her side and couldn' get herself up at all..
Does this mean she' starting the first stages of Labour?? I'm super excited for her but can't tell if she's having contractions. I have seen a few twinges in her lower back but she has been pacing like mad so it's hard to tell.. just as I thought she was going into labour she's taken herself into her birthing box and just gone to sleep. Are we close or do you think I'm just getting over excited?
I appreciate any answers

sam12

Sam
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes! Congratulations, it sounds like your cat is going into labour! sit by her in her favourite birthing box and give her plenty of water and try to get her to stay lying down! Remember to use throw away blankets!
Good Luck!!!

G123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes! Congratulations, it sounds like your cat is going into labour! sit by her in her favourite birthing box and give her plenty of water and try to get her to stay lying down! Remember to use throw away blankets!
Good Luck!!!
That's great news I've been a nervous wreck waiting!!
Thanks for the advice, currently sat by her birthing box while she sleeps, hopefully just trying to sleep off the pain..