Pregnant cat 1s litter

Yose00

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone I’m new here so I hope I’m doing this right. My cat Nala is about to turn 5 in human years this 25th of may. Last year may 8th we got a boy cat to which our surprise my cat (Nala) does not like him. We went to the vet cause we notice she got big and her nipples were pink and standing out. Although she didn’t get an ultrasound the vet still told us she was pregnant.

Today around 11am I notice some mucus like leak coming from her behind I gave her a few wipes and she was fine she didn’t seem distress or in pain. I took a nap and woke up to her bottom covered in this mucus white substance and it had little to no smell and it wasn’t a bad smell just stale. I also noticed she would push and more liquid would come out. Again she didn’t seem in pain this lasted for a few hours till I left her alone for 20 mins I saw some pink Im guessing blood mixed with the white liquid.

I called a few vets to which they said it was pretty normal but the amount that was coming out didn’t seem normal. I still left her alone again (she has nesting spots) when I came back about 20-25 mins I noticed she looked much slimmer so I looked everywhere in my room but no kittens.

My question is did she possibly interrupt her labor till I came back or was she not pregnant and had something else.

Bellow I’ll attach a previous photo on how big she was, a photo of her with the discharge and a photo of her now in this order.

PS: she still doesn’t look like she’s in pain or distress she is acting more affectionate, meowing and atm as I write this she is eating.

oops seems like the discharge photo and now photo got switched sorry!!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow! She is hugely pregnant and clearly at the end of her pregnancy. She should go into labor and deliver any day now, but if you notice she is pushing for an hour with no success you will need to get her to a vet. Otherwise, if she is not in distress, let Mother Nature take its course.

You must get your male cat neutered ASAP, and keep him away from your mom cat and her future kittens.

Mom will need to be spayed once the kittens wean around eight weeks. Five years is old to have kittens, so this should be her one and only litter.

Keep us posted!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My other thought is that is A LOT of discharge, and to be safe, I would get her to a vet to be checked. There is a uterine infection called Pyometra that causes a cat’s uterus to swell with fluid and the uterus can burst - pregnant or not. This can be fatal to the mother cat. Please get her checked by a vet to make sure all is well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yose00

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone I’m new here so I hope I’m doing this right. My cat Nala is about to turn 5 in human years this 25th of may. Last year may 8th we got a boy cat to which our surprise my cat (Nala) does not like him. We went to the vet cause we notice she got big and her nipples were pink and standing out. Although she didn’t get an ultrasound the vet still told us she was pregnant.

Today around 11am I notice some mucus like leak coming from her behind I gave her a few wipes and she was fine she didn’t seem distress or in pain. I took a nap and woke up to her bottom covered in this mucus white substance and it had little to no smell and it wasn’t a bad smell just stale. I also noticed she would push and more liquid would come out. Again she didn’t seem in pain this lasted for a few hours till I left her alone for 20 mins I saw some pink Im guessing blood mixed with the white liquid.

I called a few vets to which they said it was pretty normal but the amount that was coming out didn’t seem normal. I still left her alone again (she has nesting spots) when I came back about 20-25 mins I noticed she looked much slimmer so I looked everywhere in my room but no kittens.

My question is did she possibly interrupt her labor till I came back or was she not pregnant and had something else.

Bellow I’ll attach a previous photo on how big she was, a photo of her with the discharge and a photo of her now in this order.

PS: she still doesn’t look like she’s in pain or distress she is acting more affectionate, meowing and atm as I write this she is eating.

oops seems like the discharge photo and now photo got switched sorry!!
Update: It’s been over 24hrs and still no sign of kittens. I contacted my vet and she said since she isn’t showing signs of pain or distress then she is fine (in the back of my head I have some doubt) last night she slept next to me and she seemed normal like she always is. As of now I’ve noticed a few bleeding spots very small. I tried reading online and some say it’s normal during labor and some say it’s not….. Let’s say she started labor yesterday how long does it take for cats to give birth. She doesn’t seem to be pushing though she’s just grooming near her tits and cleaning herself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yose00

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow! She is hugely pregnant and clearly at the end of her pregnancy. She should go into labor and deliver any day now, but if you notice she is pushing for an hour with no success you will need to get her to a vet. Otherwise, if she is not in distress, let Mother Nature take its course.

You must get your male cat neutered ASAP, and keep him away from your mom cat and her future kittens.

Mom will need to be spayed once the kittens wean around eight weeks. Five years is old to have kittens, so this should be her one and only litter.

Keep us posted!
Oh my I did not know that 5 years was too old. My vet never mentioned this and she knows my cats age.