Pregnant adopted stray- can't feel kitten movement

Pgemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, firstly, I have spent the last few days reading so many informative posts, so thank you all! I'm putting in some background details, or you can skip to the bottom of my post for pictures and my question.

I have recently adopted the two stray cats that have been living on our 5 acre property, after feeding them on the porch to build trust (we recently moved in). The male (Archie) has been neutered, and our pregnant female (Kit) will be spayed after she has this litter. Both have transitioned extremely well as inside cats, and Kit will not be outside at all, especially prior to being spayed. We did witness repeated matings between these two cats right before separating them and bringing Archie inside. We brought Kit in a few weeks later after Archie had been neutered as he definitely lived under the house, but we thought she might have had an owner. Once Archie was inside she basically moved into his old space, and we kept interacting with her and feeding her, and brought her inside once we confirmed she didn't have an owner.

2 weeks ago we took Kit to the vet for a health check and to confirm that she is actually pregnant. The vet thought she was in the final 3rd of pregnancy, approx 6 weeks. She is a petite cat, but her belly is really big. As a black cat I feel she photographs smaller than she looks and feels in real life!

That puts her at about 8 weeks now, but I am worried that I haven't seen or felt any kitten movement. Could she be a bit less pregnant than we thought? Has any one else had healthy litters and not felt any kitten movement beforehand? She is loving belly rubs and is licking my hand heaps at the moment! Pics mostly of Kit, and one of Archie. IMG_20200910_111209.jpg IMG_20200812_142052~2.jpg IMG_20200914_171801.jpg IMG_20200910_111100.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’s either not as far along, or she has a small litter, but I think it’s the former. Vets cannot really tell gestational age without an x-ray, and even then it’s an estimate based on bones. As you’ve probably read by now, kitten movement becomes most visible the last couple of weeks. Feed her well and let Mother Nature do the rest! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pgemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s either not as far along, or she has a small litter, but I think it’s the former. Vets cannot really tell gestational age without an x-ray, and even then it’s an estimate based on bones. As you’ve probably read by now, kitten movement becomes most visible the last couple of weeks. Feed her well and let Mother Nature do the rest! :)
Thank you! I thought I was a patient person - until I began waiting for these kittens to be born! 😂😅.

Pgemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure her belly has dropped today, and she is incredibly cuddly and vocal tonight!
IMG_20200916_174019.jpg
It sure is a waiting game.

Pgemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if I imagined her belly dropping?! It definitely seemed more popped out sideways a few days ago. No other pre labour signs other than lots of licking.

Picture comparison from 10th September compared to 16th September received_611420079548035.jpeg

This one is from yesterday (17th September).
IMG_20200917_152446.jpg

Nest options, she sleeps in the one on the left.
IMG_20200917_073518.jpg

Pgemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By absolute chance I saw Kit's mucous plug today! I never thought I'd be excited by body fluid 😳🤭
I went in to give her a pat, and she came running up to me and I spotted it. I went to grab my phone to document it and she'd already cleaned herself up. So hopefully 🤞 kittens soon.
IMG_20200924_112135.jpg
Archie is a bit jealous about all the attention Kit has been getting, he keeps jumping into my lap the second I sit down anywhere!
IMG_20200923_144954.jpg

Pearce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm currently waiting on my cat to pop too. It seems like you're a little closer to delivery than me. My cat is just slugging around. I thought there was a little discharge on the 23rd but I'm starting to second guess it was poo stuck to her bits. 😂😂
20200924_232346.jpg

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
When Sadie was pregnant, I NEVER felt any movement.

She had two kittens (one sadly didn't survive) so it's possible only a small litter? Though from what everyone else is saying maybe just not that far along? Sadie always looked huge (we have a theory she might have had kittens and abandoned them before running to use because something went wrong x.x)

Pgemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm currently waiting on my cat to pop too. It seems like you're a little closer to delivery than me. My cat is just slugging around. I thought there was a little discharge on the 23rd but I'm starting to second guess it was poo stuck to her bits. 😂😂View attachment 352292
I'm second guessing everything at this point! I'll just keep waiting 🤞😁.

Pgemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When Sadie was pregnant, I NEVER felt any movement.

She had two kittens (one sadly didn't survive) so it's possible only a small litter? Though from what everyone else is saying maybe just not that far along? Sadie always looked huge (we have a theory she might have had kittens and abandoned them before running to use because something went wrong x.x)
Since I posted I've felt quite a bit of kitten movement, I wasn't really feeling in the right spot or for a long enough time earlier, so might have missed it. But it is really difficult to see the movement, possibly due to her dark hair? I'm guessing at least 3 kittens based on how far apart I felt the movement, but maybe 4 (2 on the left side, 1 or 2 on the right).
I will update once she eventually has them!! She was a tiny little cat (but not underweight) when we first interacted with her, and is huge now by comparison, but still seems smaller than other pregnant cats I've seen. I'll take an updated picture the next time I check in on her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you feel them move, she has probably not dropped yet. As they cease to move as much when she has dropped.
They usually do drop a couiple of days before delivery - even if its not ironclad.

So probably no immediate oncoming delivery as yet.

Pgemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you feel them move, she has probably not dropped yet. As they cease to move as much when she has dropped.
They usually do drop a couiple of days before delivery - even if its not ironclad.

So probably no immediate oncoming delivery as yet.
Yup, I realised pretty quickly I was definitely wrong about them dropping earlier! Kittens were super active a couple of days ago, but have been quieter the last 2 days, but I don't think she has dropped yet. She's had an increase in nesting behaviour but otherwise no major changes.
So we continue to wait! I'm hoping she does have them before the 12/10 as I'm working from home until then, so hopefully I will get to be around for the birth.
IMG_20200927_161638.jpg

IMG_20200927_134119.jpg