Pregnant adopted stray- can't feel kitten movement

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pgemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They're 6 days old now, and now in the 201-211g weight range. 😁

I realised I made a mistake with one of the sexing photos. I posted Blue twice, and missed Echo.
Here is Echo. I'm leaning towards girl? But not sure about the circles on the side (white arrows).
IMG_20201013_180143_1~3.jpg
Blue, Charlie and Delta are all boys. Pics for comparison.
IMG_20201013_184443.jpg

I'm curious if anyone can tell me anything about coat genetics and likely phenotypes. I studies genetics at uni, and am a biology teacher so I have the gist of genotypes covered. I've figured out that the 'grey' cats are black cats with the dilute gene, but I'm interested in knowing more about Blue tabbies and I haven't found many pictures or info about them.

Charlie and Delta are obviously black with white, and I think Blue is a Blue Classic Tabby (do I have the colour correct?). Could his markings get darker as he gets older?
(Blue is on the left, you can see the cute little bullseye)
IMG_20201011_201037.jpg

Echo, again, is more difficult. I'm thinking Blue Mackeral Tabby? Or maybe spotted?
(Echo is on the right, closest to camera)
IMG_20201012_174827.jpg

I'd also love to know if the different coat textures might indicate slightly different coat lengths. Dad is long hair, mum is short, so they probably will all be short haired, but two of the kittens have a fluffier coat, and the other two seem slicker and shinier.

Should I post these questions in a different section of the forum?

Some more kitten photo spam.
IMG_20201013_183758.jpg

IMG_20201012_195658.jpg

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you could post in the "Describing Cats" forum.....and/or.....we could ask our resident genetics expert to join in... lutece lutece ?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Solid blue kittens often have stripes (ghost markings) as babies. Solid black kittens can also have ghost markings. I see faint tabby markings on at least one of your black and white kittens; these might be ghost markings, or it might turn out to be a dark tabby kitten.

In young kittens, the easiest way to distinguish tabby from solid is that tabbies have lighter areas on the face and underparts. But when the kittens have white on their faces, chests and bellies, it's not as easy to tell, so you may need to wait and watch the color develop a bit more.

Here is an example of young solid blue kittens with ghost markings. These are both solid blue, not blue tabbies:

IMG_20120605_094600.jpg

Here is a litter of solid blue and blue tabby kittens.

blue tabby vs blue solid.jpg

Pgemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou white shadow white shadow and lutece lutece . I didn't know that greys could have ghost markings! It will be interesting to see how they all change over time. 😁

1 week old (yesterday) pics
IMG_20201015_084547.jpg
IMG_20201015_084402.jpg
They were all in the 230-240g range, so growing very well!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh WOW !

Two sets of 'twins'.............with a dinosaur nanny.......so precious !

Pgemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our kittens were 3 weeks on Wednesday, and are 3.5 weeks old now.

I weighed them twice a day for the first 2 weeks, and am now weighing them once a day. At what age should I stop/reduce weighing? They all appear to be on the large side for 3.5 weeks!
Blue 474g
Charlie 472g
Delta 503g (!)
Echo 477g

Can someone also suggest what age to start worming? And should I separate them so they don't lick each others wormer afterwards?!
I'm about to call around the local vets, but does anyone have a recommended neutering/spay age? I'd like to have them all done before they go to their new owners at 12 weeks.

Some updated pictures
Wrestling time
IMG_20201030_192841.jpg
Blue
IMG_20201030_191617.jpg
Charlie
IMG_20201030_191741.jpg

Delta
IMG_20201031_092819.jpg
Echo
IMG_20201029_195916.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can stop weighing now. Their weights are fantastic!

Kittens can be spayed and neutered as early as 8 weeks or 2 pounds, and I had mine done at 12 weeks. They recover very quickly when young. I appreciate that you’re getting them done before they go to new homes.

If they are not having issues, kittens normally see the vet for worming and first vaccines at 8 weeks, although rabies vaccines are not given until 6 months.

I’m not sure what you mean by licking each other’s wormer. Worm meds are oral.

They are adorable! Nice job! 😻

Pgemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can stop weighing now. Their weights are fantastic!

Kittens can be spayed and neutered as early as 8 weeks or 2 pounds, and I had mine done at 12 weeks. They recover very quickly when young. I appreciate that you’re getting them done before they go to new homes.

If they are not having issues, kittens normally see the vet for worming and first vaccines at 8 weeks, although rabies vaccines are not given until 6 months.

I’m not sure what you mean by licking each other’s wormer. Worm meds are oral.

They are adorable! Nice job! 😻
Thank you! The wormer our vets use is a combined wormer and flea treatment, which is topical and placed behind the neck. We were hoping to get most of their vaccines done too.

I'll probably reduce weighing to a couple of times a week (if I can figure out ways to get them on the scale as they get bigger!) To satisfy my curiosity and check they're hitting weekly recommended weights.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, separate them some so they wont lick of this fluid drop wormer. One hour should be enough. Make it more to be on the safe side, if you wish. Anyway, licking on the backside of the neck isnt the most common to lick.

I had read somewhere an advice, to not let them be near the fire for half an hour, because the fluid is easy flammable. This was a british cat handbook, and in GB they do have often open fireplaces...

So, dont put them anywhere near open fire for at least one hour after they got these drops! (Revolution? or similiar ) :)

Pgemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, separate them some so they wont lick of this fluid drop wormer. One hour should be enough. Make it more to be on the safe side, if you wish. Anyway, licking on the backside of the neck isnt the most common to lick.

I had read somewhere an advice, to not let them be near the fire for half an hour, because the fluid is easy flammable. This was a british cat handbook, and in GB they do have often open fireplaces...

So, dont put them anywhere near open fire for at least one hour after they got these drops! (Revolution? or similiar ) :)
Thankyou! Yes, I'm pretty sure it is Revolution. They won't be anywhere near a fire, but that is good to know for when we treat our other cats in the middle of winter!