Pregnant adopted stray- can't feel kitten movement

Pgemma

TCS Member
Kitten
Reaction score
Hi guys, firstly, I have spent the last few days reading so many informative posts, so thank you all! I'm putting in some background details, or you can skip to the bottom of my post for pictures and my question.

I have recently adopted the two stray cats that have been living on our 5 acre property, after feeding them on the porch to build trust (we recently moved in). The male (Archie) has been neutered, and our pregnant female (Kit) will be spayed after she has this litter. Both have transitioned extremely well as inside cats, and Kit will not be outside at all, especially prior to being spayed. We did witness repeated matings between these two cats right before separating them and bringing Archie inside. We brought Kit in a few weeks later after Archie had been neutered as he definitely lived under the house, but we thought she might have had an owner. Once Archie was inside she basically moved into his old space, and we kept interacting with her and feeding her, and brought her inside once we confirmed she didn't have an owner.

2 weeks ago we took Kit to the vet for a health check and to confirm that she is actually pregnant. The vet thought she was in the final 3rd of pregnancy, approx 6 weeks. She is a petite cat, but her belly is really big. As a black cat I feel she photographs smaller than she looks and feels in real life!

That puts her at about 8 weeks now, but I am worried that I haven't seen or felt any kitten movement. Could she be a bit less pregnant than we thought? Has any one else had healthy litters and not felt any kitten movement beforehand? She is loving belly rubs and is licking my hand heaps at the moment! Pics mostly of Kit, and one of Archie. IMG_20200910_111209.jpg IMG_20200812_142052~2.jpg IMG_20200914_171801.jpg IMG_20200910_111100.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Reaction score
She’s either not as far along, or she has a small litter, but I think it’s the former. Vets cannot really tell gestational age without an x-ray, and even then it’s an estimate based on bones. As you’ve probably read by now, kitten movement becomes most visible the last couple of weeks. Feed her well and let Mother Nature do the rest! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pgemma

TCS Member
Kitten
Reaction score
She’s either not as far along, or she has a small litter, but I think it’s the former. Vets cannot really tell gestational age without an x-ray, and even then it’s an estimate based on bones. As you’ve probably read by now, kitten movement becomes most visible the last couple of weeks. Feed her well and let Mother Nature do the rest! :)
Thank you! I thought I was a patient person - until I began waiting for these kittens to be born! 😂😅.

Pgemma

TCS Member
Kitten
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I imagined her belly dropping?! It definitely seemed more popped out sideways a few days ago. No other pre labour signs other than lots of licking.

Picture comparison from 10th September compared to 16th September received_611420079548035.jpeg

This one is from yesterday (17th September).
IMG_20200917_152446.jpg

Nest options, she sleeps in the one on the left.
IMG_20200917_073518.jpg

Pgemma

TCS Member
Kitten
Reaction score
Well I finally felt kitten movement! Kit lay down on my hand last night and I felt little nudges every 15 seconds or so. Still no idea how far along she is, so continuing the waiting game. IMG_20200918_122952.jpg IMG_20200918_205822.jpg