Pregnancy Worries due to her past

sweetheartsphnx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Everyone,

I have had my beautiful friend Althea since 2013, She is a Sphynx and is naturally hairless. I got her for many reasons, One is because I have always loved Sphynx Cats and each and every one of them has an individual character and personality, And when I seen her pictures I knew that she had to be mine
, lol. Also because I have a Male Sphynx Cat and I thought that it would be cool to maybe start breeding Sphynx Cats again, I used to do this a few years back but had to quit due to circumstance. So I drove Miles and Miles for her, Nervous and anxious as ever to meet the new pet love of my life :) She is absolutely the most darling creature I have ever met in my life and I am so happy to have her with me. She is babied and well loved.

Long Story Short, I had her only a few months when she ended up getting pregnant, I thought this might be a good thing. But when she was a month along she got a scratch from another female cat that didnt quite get along with her until a few months later. Even though I kept this scratch clean, It got infected and when I took her to the vet she said it was Septic. She was already a month and a week along at this point and the vet was skeptical on what medication to give her. The vet and I handled it the safest way for her and the babies but in the end she gave birth to 5 dead babies. The vet said that she thought it was due to the Septic infection and that the babies probably died from that. She also said that she thought It would be okay to try again for babies in the future.

So a couple months later Althea got pregnant again and she had a great pregnancy, As far as I knew everything was going great. However, Her 65th day rolled by and no kittens yet, Then the 67th day, No kittens, She was pregnant for 71 days when she gave birth. She had been leaking a little bit of pinkish/mucus fluid for about 3 days before she went into labor. I felt her babies kicking and heard heartbeats the morning of the day she gave birth. And she went into Labor around 5 P.M that day, She had 4 babies and they were all born dead again. My heart dropped. Althea gave it her best that's for sure. I was again concerned now, What happened this time? Her babies were alive and well that morning and we had everything going for us. The vet and I figured that her being over-due caused the Stillbirth, And the kittens died from lack of Oxygen in the birth canal and that they had probably been in there since her leaking started and that the first one died days before her birth. Its a very sad ordeal.

Now this time, I did not plan this at all. In fact I was still considering retiring her or trying it one more time like the vet said we could do while monitoring her even more closely. And she ended up getting out of the bedroom I put her in during her heat cycle and got bred. This was on the 15th of January. Making her 65th day March 22nd. However, the vet suggested going a little early to be better safe than sorry. We are monitoring her closely and making sure everything stays at a normal level. For the last 3 days her kittens have been kicking like crazy and then today Her kittens have been hardly felt at all. You can feel a light movement every now and then but that is all, So this is what I am worried about. Today she is 58 days along according to my calender, I am positive that she got pregnant on the 15th. I know that a Kitten has to be at least 2 oz. to survive and that they need to be at least 60 days along so I still have a couple days to go. The vet gave me Oxytocin to induce her with when the time was Safe and necessary to induce her. He told me that I could induce her earlier than 65 days just to be safe but no earlier than 60 days, What do you guys think? When should I induce her? I am going to call the vet and ask but I am unsure of whether or not he takes calls on Saturdays and it is not an emergency to the best of my knowledge.

I apologize for the book that I wrote you, But I thought that I should get all the facts out there so that you can better grasp the situation. Let me know what you think, Thank-You :)

Last edited:

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please get her spayed.  I have no idea why you have not spayed her.  I mean no disrespect, but I am quite certain you are not a registered breeder due to a variety of things you have said, and I am also quite certain that your cat is not a registered Sphinx and you did not buy her from a registered breeder.  Why are you trying to breed her? I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but this site is EXTREMELY pro spay neuter (it is in fact even part of the site's rules) and you are unlikely to get much support for what you are doing here.

Please read this article about why it is important to spay or neuter your cats http://www.thecatsite.com/a/spay-and-neuter-your-cats

As to your question, I have absolutely no idea what to tell you.  I frankly think this whole situation is tragic. That a vet would let you induce her whenever you feel it's right is frankly beyond me, especially given that you seem to have little experience with any of this.  If you are determined to go forward with this I'd probably say induce her at 63 days, or the normal length of a cat pregnancy, but really the person to be in close contact with about this is your vet, who is sounds like unfortunately is not being very helpful and also IMO is not very knowledgeable-sounding, though I wish I am wrong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetheartsphnx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Please get her spayed.  I have no idea why you have not spayed her.  I mean no disrespect, but I am quite certain you are not a registered breeder due to a variety of things you have said, and I am also quite certain that your cat is not a registered Sphinx and you did not buy her from a registered breeder.  Why are you trying to breed her? I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but this site is EXTREMELY pro spay neuter (it is in fact even part of the site's rules) and you are unlikely to get much support for what you are doing here.

Please read this article about why it is important to spay or neuter your cats http://www.thecatsite.com/a/spay-and-neuter-your-cats

As to your question, I have absolutely no idea what to tell you.  I frankly think this whole situation is tragic. That a vet would let you induce her whenever you feel it's right is frankly beyond me, especially given that you seem to have little experience with any of this.  If you are determined to go forward with this I'd probably say induce her at 63 days, or the normal length of a cat pregnancy, but really the person to be in close contact with about this is your vet, who is sounds like unfortunately is not being very helpful and also IMO is not very knowledgeable-sounding, though I wish I am wrong.
Well, Spaying her is the plan if this litter doesnt work out. And I agree with you and anyone else like minded, That if a cat keeps having dead babies that its about time to have her spayed. But the vet has been in touch with me about this and he told me to call him before I induced her. I am not dumb on this issue, I am not going to Induce her tonight, tomorrow, or just when I feel like it- It will be done responsibly. And she is a registered cat, and I do have a registered cattery, This is not planned and not normal for me. And it did sound harsh, But I cant blame you there. And I do not mean to be harsh to you either so please do not take offense. And this seems to be a Breeder friendly site otherwise I have no clue on why there are Breeder Forum Threads on here. But I could be wrong, You are overall the Adviser.

And I actually was mentored by another breeder who has had to Induce one of her cats before as well in my presence, So I am not in the dark on how to do this. My vet has been a vet for years and I trust him with my cat, And if he doesnt work out with something I have another vet who has her way of doing things as well. We have been talking about this since her pregnancy started. However, I was wondering what other people's opinions on Inducing her and when were.

Thank-You for giving me some advice on when to induce her and your thoughts. Have a Great Night.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I apologize if I made wrong assumptions and I truly meant no offense.  I do hope this pregnancy will end happily. Various things that you said in your post did and do seem to me VERY far from what the 'typical' registered  and ethical breeder would do with registered cats.  These red flags included, but were not limited to, a pregnancy going on 71 days without intervention (such as c-section), this pregnancy not being planned at all (in your own words),  and how close together these pregnancies have been- most breeders will breed a cat AT MOST twice a year, and this is her third pregnancy in a year or potentially much less depending when exactly you got her in 2013. 

In any case, again, I do wish you luck with the pregnancy and will be hoping for happy and healthy babies for you.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetheartsphnx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I apologize if I made wrong assumptions and I truly meant no offense.  I do hope this pregnancy will end happily. Various things that you said in your post did and do seem to me VERY far from what the 'typical' registered  and ethical breeder would do with registered cats.  These red flags included, but were not limited to, a pregnancy going on 71 days without intervention (such as c-section), this pregnancy not being planned at all (in your own words),  and how close together these pregnancies have been- most breeders will breed a cat AT MOST twice a year, and this is her third pregnancy in a year or potentially much less depending when exactly you got her in 2013. 

In any case, again, I do wish you luck with the pregnancy and will be hoping for happy and healthy babies for you.
That Okay, You have a right to express your opinion, Its no offense, I hope that I didnt offend you either. I understand what you mean by the mistakes that have been made with her, Such as her being pregnant for 71 days, I read that Siamese Breeds are pregnant for longer than the average breeds but this turned out to be false and I would never let any cat of mine stay pregnant for that long again despite what I read. Also this litter was not planned at all, I understand that is a big No as well, I was away and somehow they managed to push the door open and she was bred. I had no intentions on breeding her more than twice within the time span but this happened. I apologize if I said anything that mislead anyone and in any way hurt feelings.

I wish you all the best and Thank-You so much for wishing us ours :)