Pregnancy question regarding my cat. Urgent

PussyfootPeaches5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am pretty sure my cat has been pregnant....nearly full term now I would say...and she was getting bigger...her nips are more prominent....eating and sleeping constantly. She is a tiny cat...small framed and young...she accidentally got out and boom she was pregnant and not going into heat anymore. It has been fun watching her pregnancy and how she has changed and talking to her belly and all that...makes me smile. But the past week it seems like she should be getting bigger, her belly getting bigger, but she isn't. A family member gave her a dose of flea and tick medication and a collar as well...and it was on her for roughly 3 days before she had a reaction that caused her hair to fall out on one side of her neck. I am super worried about her right now bc she had been growing bigger and bigger each week...and now with the things going on I just wanted to reach out and see what is normal and what isn't. I appreciate any replies/advice. Thanks.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You need to get her to a Veterinarian. Make sure you have the names of both the flea meds and the collar. There is nothing anyone can do online to help. You need her seen by a Veterinarian.

please let us know what they say.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am pretty sure my cat has been pregnant....nearly full term now I would say...and she was getting bigger...her nips are more prominent....eating and sleeping constantly. She is a tiny cat...small framed and young...she accidentally got out and boom she was pregnant and not going into heat anymore. It has been fun watching her pregnancy and how she has changed and talking to her belly and all that...makes me smile. But the past week it seems like she should be getting bigger, her belly getting bigger, but she isn't. A family member gave her a dose of flea and tick medication and a collar as well...and it was on her for roughly 3 days before she had a reaction that caused her hair to fall out on one side of her neck. I am super worried about her right now bc she had been growing bigger and bigger each week...and now with the things going on I just wanted to reach out and see what is normal and what isn't. I appreciate any replies/advice. Thanks.
Do you have any count of time?

Did you felt at any time the kittens moving? You usually feel the kittens moving about 2 weeks before delivery; sometimes 3 weeks, especielly if you are used to palpitating / or do touch her belly every day...

If everything is going OK, its common they "drops" a couple of days before delivery, ie suddenly seems less pregnant - and you feel the kittens move less. Because they are now in the birthing positions and are more squeezed.

There DO occurs false pregnancies. Its not very common, but they do happen. And a false pregnancy is very difficult for a layman to differ from a real one. Essentially, you notice it was false at first in the end....

If you could count on day 50+, without feeling the kittens move; it was probably a false pregnancy.

This with flea collar is a wellknown danger. Most brands of collars are poisonous. Dogs are somewhat less sensitive,
Its fully possible the kittens were hurt - but not sure...
"everything lies in Gods hand" as they say.

The best course for you is a check up by an experienced vet.

IF there are dead kittens inside her, its necessary to get them out. Dead foetuses do sometimes dissolve themselves without big harm to momma. We know this, because vets not seldom finds calciferated rests of late kittens inside a female cat..
But whom wants to take risks?

Easiest to do it, if the vet is making a spay at the same time. This way, there wont be no extra treatment, just the spaying which must be done anyway, sooner or later.

Gods support is good to have, but we must take own safety measures....

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What brand flea collar and flea/worm medicine was given? This is important. Ask your relative.

Is mom’s belly still big and growing? Do you feel kitten movement? Do you know about how far along she is? As Stefan said, if she is near the end and the kittens have dropped there will be less movement.

A vet can listen for heartbeats and also run an ultrasound to check for movement. It is my hope that the kittens will be fine, but mom’s body does absorb the medicine from the collar which could affect the kittens. Put your mind to rest with a vet check.

Please post a picture and do keep us updated. P PussyfootPeaches5

Last edited: