Pregnancy help/Weaning & Litter training questions

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, so my cat is currently pregnant and somewhere around 7 weeks along (we think!). I am a worrier, and though prepared for the birth I’m concerned she may go into Labour when I am at work and without showing any major signs. Any slight change in her behaviour has me getting more anxious too.

My partner has been off of work the last week so I have been somewhat more relaxed knowing that he’ll be there (although I knew she wasn’t far enough along to birth that week anyway) but now he has returned to work today and I’m also at work in a few hours for around 6 hours.
This is her first pregnancy, and she had an ultrasound on the 5th and the vet said they all looked healthy and growing well and that she didn’t have long left. She didn’t say an estimate though, only that she didn’t have long and since we don’t know the exact day, I’m rough guessing around the 22nd March was conception. She had her first visit on the 12th April where we guessed around 3 weeks in then (22nd March) she was showing most signs of pregnancy then (pinking up, belly enlargement).

Mum has been even more clingy the last day or so, she’s always by my side, following me into most rooms if she’s not laying on the floor, laying on the bathroom mat if I’m in there and this morning wouldn’t leave my side in the bed. She’s currently curled up on my feet as it’s all there was space for.
There is lots of movement from the kittens so I’m wondering if she is just seeking comfort for that? She is napping lots but she’s not the most active cat anyway so this isn’t much of a change for her and not really something I can gauge for her pregnancy.

My next query is what I should do with my other cat. We’ve been discussing what the best method is throughout the pregnancy but I’m still unsure. Do we keep him in the pen and allow her the house so that she can comfortably choose somewhere (though hopefully one of the 3 nesting boxes around the house haha) and I was going to shut the living room off as she’s been scanning behind the sofa a lot (I think her top choices are behind there and the nesting box in the bedroom) but I don’t want her to birth behind there as there are Or do I keep her in the bedroom so that she feels comfortable within that space and I know the babies will be somewhere in the bedroom when she’s ready. She’s usually very calm whenever she’s had to be shut in the bedroom and just lays on the bed, even when the door then opens she’ll usually still nap on the bed until she chooses to leave so I’m thinking she would be okay there but I’m aware I don’t want to stress her out or for her to feel trapped.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance to one worrisome grandma to be!
(Pics attached below of her belly if that helps)

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I would keep her in the bedroom, I think. It has less traffic during and after the babies are born, plus as you mentioned you can keep better track of everything and everyone :)

This way, too, you would have a better chance at setting up a camera that would show you how she's doing while you're away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ahh I hadn’t thought about that! We do have a camera set up around the house so I’ll move that into the room with her. Thank you! :)

Do you think I should start putting her in there now to acclimatise to being there all the time or once she starts displaying signs of Labour? I do plan on trying to get cover for my shifts as soon as she shows any signs but in the event I can’t get cover/it happens quickly I’ll feel much more reassured with the camera!
:thanks:

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Little update, she has started purring a lot and chirping at me and the other cat! I lied down on the floor to comfort her and she’s climbed into my blanket hoodie and is still purring loudly.
The chirping is not usual for her as she is generally a quiet cat minus the amount of purring she does, she doesn’t hardly meow.
F43B5AEA-EC29-4516-96A1-5513AFB9EEA3.jpeg

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will do! My worry is she’s not far enough along by our guesstimate to start birthing! :sweat: I’m concerned that an incident earlier may be causing her to Labour early. About an hour ago the smoke alarm randomly started going off, I checked around quickly and although I pulled the door to in the room she was in to try and keep the noise out she followed me and then started growling and hissing at the fire alarm. I quickly grabbed the calming wipes I have for her (vet has said they’re okay to still use) and wiped her down. I tried to shut it off and eventually it did stop around 4-5 minutes later. She calmed down almost instantly with the wipes and is calm now but having to leave for work isn’t putting me in a comfortable spot

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Got home and she’s all okay, but my partner has said he agrees she is acting weird. Lots of purring and constantly wanting attention, chirping and going to nesting box and behind sofa every now and then. Nothing about her belly looks different particularly but her teats look a bit droopy now where before they were firm mounds, they’re almost like hanging a bit now, no milk coming out however.
2D3A58B3-6ED4-437E-B933-5E9BA851A380.jpeg

She’s not grooming any more than normal and I’ve had a look at her vulva as she’ll allow me but nothing unusual going on as far as I can see. Her bottom is really dirty as she’s not been able to reach, could I try and use a warm damp cloth to clean it?

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay I’ll give it a go in a little bit. She’s started to be back of fourth of near sofa now and growls every time she walks into the spot??

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think this is just part of her emotional involvement with the upcoming process. As long as she isn't growling or hissing at you...

gracescroggins

Rosie and Posie’s Momma and Foster Momma
Kitten
Purraise
I know whenever my foster cats have gone into labor they always have lost their mucus plug beforehand and it has been very noticeable. Here is a picture from when our current foster mama (Birdie) lost her mucus plug and she had the first kitten 9 hours later. She showed no other symptoms until about an hour and a half before the first kitten was born her water broke and there was a little puddle on the ground.

Attachments

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no, no growling or hissing at all towards us, not even the other cat. It seems she is seeking attention from us all, she’ll even go up to him and nudge him then flump down beside him purring and if I’m sat down she just wants to be on me.

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh that’s really helpful to know, thank you! Also thanks for the picture for comparison, I’ll try to keep my eyes peeled for it.

haha they are certainly not a usual thing to see, very cute!:hearthrob:

gracescroggins

Rosie and Posie’s Momma and Foster Momma
Kitten
Purraise
Everyone says a cat will stop eating and whatnot, but every cat is different! Birdie still ate breakfast around 8am and by 5:30pm she was having contractions and panting!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she is having labor pains. Her milk will probably let down when the kittens come or when they begin to nurse. It could be a long night though.

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I believe her water has broken! There’s some wet marks in the nesting box, she woke me up about 20 minutes ago. She is bleeding a little so on the phone to the vet currently, but on hold! 😰 is this a lot of bleeding? She’s purring and actually wants the other cat in here?! She seems stressed if he’s shut outside
CE8420EA-7BE4-4E8F-83A0-8988A65E250B.jpeg

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have spoken to emergency vet and she didn’t seem too concerned, said to call back if anything changes. She’s now chomping down on some food, her contractions started around 10 minutes ago.

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think before must’ve been just some fluid because she just did like a push and water splashed out on the puppy pad.
Dad is going to have to stay, she’s getting very distressed if he leaves, pawing at door rapidly, crying and pacing and when he’s in here she’s laying down and purring still, he’s licking her head every now and then when he’s not sniffing around the place.

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First kitten on the way! Seems to be poking out but she’s licking herself and it goes back in?