Pregnancy help/Weaning & Litter training questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First kitten born and a noisy little one! She can’t seem to but the cord and I’m struggling to tie it off and tear it. So I need to act quickly with this?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How are things now? I hope well. Sorry we were not available.

Good decision to let dad in for comfort. Cords are tied about an inch from naval and “pinched” closed and off with your fingers.

Please update when you can!

Peaches&Mango Peaches&Mango

Last edited:

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Things are so far looking good! Babies have all latched on almost straight away and I’ve managed to weigh 2, 100g and 90 something grams (he was crying and didn’t want to disturb mum so quickly popped back with a rough weight) will check that one again later if I can.
Haven’t weighed the third but looks wise it looks to be around the same and feeding well, will try to weigh that one later too. Not sure if there is a fourth, but so far nothing so I think she’s done.

A red and white, grey and white and a cream and white. Am I right in saying 2 of them are diluted? Grey is dilute black and cream is dilute red?
Mum seems good, lots of purring and has got up to eat and wander the house a little bit, a quick 5 minute break and then she came back.

She was a bit panicked when I moved the babies to the nesting box about 5 steps away from the birth site but when she realised they were all there just settled down, started purring and they snuggled in. I couldn’t leave them there as what she was laying on was sodden (she stayed in the same spot for all births) and also not a hugely safe place as on the floor at the end of the bed, nesting box is tucked in the corner with her bowls just outside of it.

Dad is completely separate now as we want to give mum some space, and though he was beside her for the birth (obviously monitored) we’ll introduce him back later as she seems fine with him out the way now so better to be safe.

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Indeed, thank you for your help and reassurance everyone!
Could anyone help with weight info? Annoyingly the digital scales I ordered still haven’t arrived, we thought she had a week left and even then so I’ve been waiting over a week since ordering! So with the ones I already have it’s pretty hard to get an accurate number :disappointed:
Their first weigh in weights were; (or as accurate as I could guess)
Red and white - just over 3oz (90g - this feels accurate as right between the lines of 80-100g)
Grey and white - just under 4oz (105g?)
Cream and white - also just under 4oz (105g also?)
Today they were
Red and white - just under 4oz (108g?)
Grey and white - over 4oz (120g - again can read this as exactly on line of 120)
Cream and white - also over 4oz (122g - slightly further than g+w)
So all gaining but red and white smaller in weight (not in size, he’s chunky as can see!)
B4A9801F-6E57-4264-8BE9-67642B1FA88F.jpeg

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adorable kittens. I would not let dad back until the kittens are older, mom can be over protective and some males do kill kittens. He should get neutered if he hasn't been already. The first few days they can go down in weight. Just keep weighing them a few times a day :)

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Adorable kittens. I would not let dad back until the kittens are older, mom can be over protective and some males do kill kittens. He should get neutered if he hasn't been already. The first few days they can go down in weight. Just keep weighing them a few times a day :)
Thanks! Oh yeah dad is out already, although mum cries for him a little and when I open the door she goes out and leads him in, then they groom each other and she just flumps on the floor totally unbothered. He will go to the entrance of the nest box to look in but I discourage it and we have monitored mum and dad together at all times. He’s all booked in. Oh okay, glad you said that as I would’ve worried a lot if it happened!

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Weights are good so far!
4 days old and their weights are
150g, 158g and 152g
I had another question about bedding, should I continue changing bedding every day? It doesn’t look or feel soiled etc but is it for control of bacteria and things or could I leave it 2 or so days?
quick feed while bedding was being changed 😻
09B5A6AB-6771-4723-9102-3E120A315F26.jpeg

Picture of Dad just giving mum a little love
522EF92C-E5D7-47F2-B4FA-FA362E7F90E7.jpeg

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay thanks for letting me know!

Sarthur2 Sarthur2
I’m a little concerned, they are 5 days old (almost 6) and the little grey and white one has already started opening it’s eyes!:sigh: The ginger and white did look as though he was peeping too but it’s not as obvious as the grey. I’ve read that this isn’t good?
Mum and kittens are due to see the vet for an overall checkup on Monday so I’m assuming I can speak with them then about it, but is there anything I can do to help them until then?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s not unusual for a kitten to open its eyes at 5 days old. Healthy kittens often open their eyes sooner than the 10-14 days that is often cited. It’s only a problem if eyes are NOT open by 14 days, and that’s usually because they are “glued” shut by discharge that can be softened and cleaned up with a warm damp wash cloth or terramycin ointment if there is infection and pus.

There’s no reason to take mom and tiny kittens to the vet yet if all is well. They risk exposure to germs while their immune systems are not yet well developed.

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh phew! You know, just before seeing this reply I had actually found a thread on here through google from yeaarrs back about kittens opening their eyes earlier than expected, and lots of responses saying it was normal and nothing to worry about.
Thank you for the info though, I’ll keep an eye on them and especially the little one not opening just yet.

Yes I was thinking myself I may cancel it, of course the vets suggest it but I also don’t drive and was a bit concerned about having to walk with them so tiny in the carrier and if they’d catch anything. When would be a good benchmark for a check up?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Healthy kittens do not need to visit the vet until they are 8 weeks old. That is usually when first vaccines are given.

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you :)
A little update, we think we have 2 boys and a girl. The little cream and white is the girl I believe.

I was wondering when a good time would be to introduce dad? Mum will sometimes cry at the bedroom door to go out to him, when let out they just groom each other and flop down for a nap, I think she’s missing him and more so when I’m not able to be sat in the room because of work.
We’re a bit stuck, as she can’t permanently stay out as we are cautious of watching him with the babies but also can’t shut the door for him as she can’t access them then. At the moment when they are both together I’m monitoring him and his whereabouts. He does go into the bedroom under supervision and mum is not fussed at all about him in there, she’s very relaxed about handling as well when I’m weighing, she just lays beside me purring. Dad tries to look into the box but we lightly discourage it as we’re not sure when is a good time, he just likes to look in on them and have a sniff, we then move him on and he just lays on the bed or next to mum. I think he would be okay but I’m nervous, is it better to just be safe and keep them separate?

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Healthy kittens do not need to visit the vet until they are 8 weeks old. That is usually when first vaccines are given.
Also, a little concerned because two out of three kittens still have their umbilical cord! Apparently I could’ve cut it too long, shall I leave it and wait for it to fall itself or cut it off as it’s now dead tissue? The little grey boy also hasn’t gained any weight according to my scales, from 13:47 yesterday - 12:46 today when I weighed. I’ll re weigh him later to see if he has gained as he’s happily sucking away with the others and I’ve checked milk is coming from that nipple so I’m not sure why he’s not gained:confused2: he weighs 240g at the moment, first one to properly open his eyes too.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No need to worry! Your little guy is already 8.4 ounces at 11 days old. He only needs to be about 8 ounces at 2 weeks, 12 ounces at 3 weeks, and about one pound at one month. Kittens will grow, gain, plateau, then take off gaining again. All sounds well to me!

Just let cords fall off. They should any day now.

Try letting dad do his thing for a few hours when you are able to supervise and see how it goes. If he’s chill you can decide from there.

Last edited:

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No need to worry! Your little guy is already 8.4 ounces at 11 days old. He only needs to be about 8 ounces at 2 weeks, 12 ounces at 3 weeks, and about one pound at one month. Kittens will grow, gain, plateau, then take off gaining again. All sounds well to me!

Just let cords fall off. They should any day now.

Try letting dad do his thing for a few hours when you are able to supervise and see how it goes. If he’s chill you can decide from there.
Oh phew! Thank you for the reassurance. Still not gained any today, but still feeding okay and wandering round etc. When should I worry about it if nothing changes?

I think I’ll try dad having a look tonight for a bit when I change the bedding over and things :)

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 i’m almost out of Pet AG formula, but have two cans of Royal Canin baby cat milk. Should I keep mum on the same formula or could I use the Royal Canin?

The little ones are so far 500g, 445g and 400g before weighing today. The girly is the chunky one!

They’re starting to get used to toys and after mum playing with a few they realised they are fun after all and have had a little play today, first day introducing them!
Two out of three of them seem like they could be longhair. I’m not sure if it’s kitten fluff but the other one is very obviously much less fluffy. Their tails are noticeably thicker as well compared to the one I think is shorter haired (last photo to show next to one of the fluffier ones tails circled in purple ). I’ll attach pictures below, I do hope they keep these coats, they seem to be fluffier by the day.
43DAC630-17E2-4B2F-8D9F-5ACD2E4CBAD6.jpeg

2C0D8C7E-0676-4D08-81AB-E5E43F4B431A.jpeg
E2284297-DF58-43E4-90F9-72D2282DDBF4.jpeg
67F3512E-F7B4-4E31-BB44-DA2AF7856396.jpeg
A895D2EF-3697-41D5-8E0C-F174D48825FD.jpeg
3F9A8AA1-7056-4C89-8963-2F6DCD8B5ED2.jpeg