Giving a cerenia injection at home

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got a ready to use syringe with cerenia in it for my cat who started vomiting and having low appetite suddenly again. The vet explained how to inject it but i am still not sure. It is supposed to be injected above his back leg? Are there any risks to inject it wrong?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to lift up his skin to make a little tent and then inject it there, but I don't quite understand where :/

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I mean where exactly on his body - above his leg, or to the side of it

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cerenia is given subcutaneously, meaning that it doesn't go into a muscle but just under the skin. This video may help, but if you're not certain you should call and talk to your vet. I hope your cat feels better soon.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The full prescribing info for Cerenia doesn't specify where. https://www.zoetisus.com/contact/pages/product_information/msds_pi/pi/Cerenia_Injectable.pdf

I'd call the vet and ask specifically where on the body you are supposed to inject if the vet has some preference of where to give it. Many subq injections can be done in the scruff of the neck. Pull up the scruff as far as you can and stick the needle into the tented up skin pointing down into the body to minimize the chance of going through the other side of the scruff and possibly sticking yourself with the needle.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Musiaka got a shot of kidney medicine and Cerenia today. The vet left some of the medicine in two syringes and gave them to me to inject tomorrow. When I got home, I put them into the fridge.
However I am reading, that prefilled syringes should be used in 2-3 hours or air bubbles can start forming.
Can I really use those tomorrow? They are the same two syringes Musiaka got injected with today, the vet left the right doses in them

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s pretty easy to remove air bubbles from a syringe :> here’s a video that explains it well.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s pretty easy to remove air bubbles from a syringe :> here’s a video that explains it well.
Thanks! But its otherwise ok to use the medicine from the same syringes tomorrow, yes?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's OK. If you are unsure ask your vet on the phone. They usually fit a new needle on the end so that should be OK too. Just make sure you bring them to room temperature, an hour or so, or the injection could be uncomfortable. That film is excellent too. I just hold the syringe up. 'flick' it with my index finger like I'm trying to flip something off the table, and you can see any bubbles rising. SLOWLY push the plunger in until the liquid just starts coming out the needle and you are ready! You would be surprised at how much air can get into your veins before they cause a problem. Much more then you think. You will not be injected into a vein anyway, so a bubble wouldn't hurt, it just eventually gets absorbed.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Cerenia should be stored at room temp, to my knowledge, and warmed in the syringe (just in your hands) prior to injection. Should be fine to administer if you get all the air bubbles out. With the kidney meds, depends what’s in there.

edit: nevermind, it needs to be refrigerated after opening. Make sure to warm it up before injection, regardless :>

CERENIA Injectable Solution should be stored at controlled room temperature 20-25°C (68-77°F) with excursions between 15-30°C (59-86°F). After first vial puncture, CERENIA Injectable Solution should be stored at refrigerated temperature 2-8°C (36-46°F). Use within 90 days of first vial puncture. Stopper may be punctured a maximum of 25 times.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great! You guys calmed me down (I'm a very anxious person). I would have called the vet to ask this, but he is done for today and I'm too restless to wait for tomorrow. Hopefully I will manage to inject correctly, will use the instruction from the video in case of bubbles.
By the way, Maurey Maurey and di and bob di and bob , sorry to bother you with more questions, but do you agree that the iv drip is not necessary for Musiaka (he's got elevated liver enzymes) if he's not dehydrated? The new vet told me we don't have to get the iv drip after checking how Musiaka's skin feels. Musiaka does drink quite a lot of water

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cerenia should be stored at room temp, to my knowledge, and warmed in the syringe (just in your hands) prior to injection. Should be fine to administer if you get all the air bubbles out. With the kidney meds, depends what’s in there.

edit: nevermind, it needs to be refrigerated after opening. Make sure to warm it up before injection, regardless :>

CERENIA Injectable Solution should be stored at controlled room temperature 20-25°C (68-77°F) with excursions between 15-30°C (59-86°F). After first vial puncture, CERENIA Injectable Solution should be stored at refrigerated temperature 2-8°C (36-46°F). Use within 90 days of first vial puncture. Stopper may be punctured a maximum of 25 times.
Is it ok that the needle was already used to inject the first dose? It won't gather bacteria? Maybe I should desinfect it?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Should be fine, yes. Just be careful to let it fully dry before injection.