Prednisolone

ljoseph

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am weaning my cat off of prednisone. I'm giving .4 every other day. I need to give it 2 more times. This last dose my cat moved and I'm not sure how much she got. I gave her .2 more. Is it more dangerous to over dose her or under dose her at this point?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. That really is a question for your vet. Allot depends on what you are using it for.
A common weaning cycle would be 5mg 2x day for 1 week then 5 mg 1x day for 1 week then 5 mg every other day for 1 week then 2.5 mg every other day for1 week. Then some vets will reduce even further.
So all and ask your vet. Also note how many mg/ml of the solution you are using since it sounds like you are using a liquid medication.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call the vet today and ask to be safe.

In the future, a good rule to have is to never give more medicine if your cat spits most of it (pills, liquids) out or if you did not inject correctly. This will prevent an overdose. You have no idea how much medicine may have gotten into the cat.

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Sadie is on prednisolone for anemia, sometimes we have to raise the dose and sometimes lower based on her numbers.
I agree, steroids or any medication changes should be discussed with your vet; I know waning prednisolone too fast or too soon can cause adrenal issues just from experience. But again, checking with the vet is best!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Asking the vet is a good idea.

Personally, I would consider any dose she got to be a dose. Do not to try to estimate a remainder. Since you are trying to wean her, I would say it’s probably less risk to under-medicate her.