Prednisolone for allergies?

vsvpflex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had their cat on prednisolone for allergies long term? My little guy has been overgrooming and the only time we have seen him completely stop was during a round of prednisolone. My vet is confident that a low dosage given every other day would stop his itching and that his body would handle/tolerate it well. He’d be receiving an anti inflammatory dose as opposed to a high dose, but with it being an immunosuppressive medication, I’m curious to hear experiences of people who’s cats are on it long term. My little guy is already prone to UTIs and I’m worried about the medication making him even more susceptible. Would love to hear your experiences.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pred can help with symptoms but it's better to find the cause of the allergies and resolve that. Does your vet have any idea why your cat is itchy? Food and environmental allergies are common.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vsvpflex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pred can help with symptoms but it's better to find the cause of the allergies and resolve that. Does your vet have any idea why your cat is itchy? Food and environmental allergies are common.
food allergies are highly unlikely, he only really chews/overgrooms his paw pads and the back of his back legs. Nothing else. Plus my vet said that if pred completely cleared up the problem that it’s even more unlikely food is the issue. So it is more than likely environmental as we don’t use any cleaner on our floors so it couldn’t be a contact allergy. We switched his litter recently to dr elseys and it has made some difference but hasn’t solved the issue. The litter we were using was scented and had silica powder in it which I’ve read both are a common allergen to cats.