Precious Cat Ultra clumps do not withstand my kitty digging in the litter box... Any suggestions?

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here on this site and recently adopted a kitty from a shelter. When i was researching kitty litter I was impressed by how many people are using and liking Precious Cat Ultra Clumping Litter, so i went ahead and bought a 20lb box from petco, however it wasn't clumping all that great. I thought, maybe that batch is no good and bought the next one in a bag from Petsmart - same thing. Did the litter quality went down recently? Am i so completely unlucky in getting bad bags of this litter? Or, maybe it's my cat's digging nature? What happens is he tends to pee in a corner, turn around, try to cover his 'business' by first, scratching on the side of a litter box (obviously, not covering anything) and then going right into the wet spot with his paw - clump breaks apart and tiny pieces of dirty litter end up all over the box and i end up spending quite a while in gloves picking those tiny stinkers by hand. 'Dry' urine balls tend to break apart as well when he is digging in there for a clean spot. Though sometimes he manages to cover his pee without touching it and therefore without breaking it and if i scoop it out right away then everything is perfect, only that scenario is quite rare :( Should i try different litter? (I would prefer clay clumping litter) Different litter box? (right now i use regular 13x16x6 litter box and my kitty is really smal)

Any advice or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal. It clumps very well, and what I like about it the most is that it controls the odor the best for me. I suggest you try another litter. Several other brands clump well too.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use a mix of fresh step extreme odor control and fresh step crystal litter. The crystal litter does not clump, but it is fantastic at odor control. And the fresh step extreme odor control clumps up really nicely.