Pre Probiotic good or bad

charking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I decided to get a pre probiotic for my cat after talking with the vet and we decided to see if this might help his digestive issues. Since the problem began when I changed his food and even changing it back did not help.  So we are trying the pre probiotics before we do more extensive and expensive testing.

I purchased these today at PetSmart today and its the brand they carry.. I went on line to check out the reviews from others who have used or who are using the product.  I did not get that far, I found the info on the product and was shocked to see that it was different with more ingredients than on the package/container.

My cat is not diabetic and I do not want his blood sugars to get so high it makes him sick. Perhaps I am wrong and it will not hurt him, but I am not sure so I am throwing this out to you who have far more knowledge and experience than I do in these matters.

The brand is Century 21 and I have used their products before without any issues.
I am ready to take this back to the store and look elsewhere for something that practices truth in advertising. I do not want my cat to end up with more problems than he already has.

The ingredients which I have concerns about are underlined.
The ones that are not on the container will be in italics.

Ingredients:
Rice Bran, Dried Cheddar Cheese, Fructose, Glycerin, Inulin, Sorbitol, Canola Oil, Filtered Water, Corn Starch, natural Flavors, Liver Meal, Sugar, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus themophilus Fermentation Product, Caramel Color, Calcium Propionate (a preservative), Sorbic Acid (a preservative), Dried Ground Apple, Dried Ground Blackberry, Dried Ground Blueberry, Dried Ground Broccoli, Dried Ground Brussels Sprout, Dried Ground Cabbage, Dried Ground Carrot, Dried Ground Cherry, Dried Ground Cinnamon Bark, Dried Ground Kelp, Dried Ground Pomegranate, Dried Ground Raspberry, Dried Ground Spinach, Dried Ground Strawberry, Dried Ground Tomato.

Total Microorganisms (min) 100,000,000 CFU/tablet
(Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Enteroccus, themophilus in equal amounts)
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles.

Plus these that are not on the list above but are on the container.

Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols.

Inulin at 100mg per tablet

Thank you.

Charlotte King

[email protected]    503-999-5745  * my phone number its ok to print it *

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, right off the bat it sounds awful to me, but I see these are "chews", so that may be why some of those ingredients are in there.  I also think you are trying to give both PRE and PRO biotics, correct?  Well.  according to this website, http://www.petplace.com/article/cat...cats-5-reasons-vets-recommend-them,PREbiotics are made up of sugar fractose and/ or sugar mannose, so that would account for the fructose, at least.

You might ask your Vet for a specific recommendation for a product to use.  That's what I would do.  But I'll tell you a couple of PRO biotics that people here on TCS use, and you might show them to your Vet and see if they are good to use.  One is and the other is .  On these, we just open the capsule and sprinkle about half the capsule in their food in the a.m., and sprinkle the rest in the p.m.  Works best with canned food, obviously, so you can must mix it in after you sprinkle in on.  With MY cats, I actually dissolve their probiotic (along with Egg Yolk Lecithin for hairballs) in a little water before mixing it into their canned food.  That way they don't get anything gritty because they are so darned picky

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I was just concerned due to the sugar content.
My cats will eat some canned food but prefer Royal Carin SO as that is what they were raised on for crystal issues.
I wish they would eat meat, raw or cooked or egg or anything.
My female will not touch anything unless its  out of a can or bag and my male will only eat a bite of buttered toast on occasion.

Charlotte

I will check out the link and with my vet

Last edited: