Pre-mixes: Thaw, Mix, And Refreeze? Or...?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a grinder and I'd like to make a batch of food with a pre-mix like EZ Complete or Better Than Raw. Personally, I like EZ because I can make single meals. But I'm not sure EZ will work for Krista. For other mixes that I have to make 2 lbs batches or more, do I thaw the meat, mix it all up, and then re-freeze it? Are there any tips or considerations to make sure things mix and re-freeze well? I don't eat meat myself so I don't have the knowledge or experience of meat handling.

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I don't eat meat either, but make raw ground food for my kitties. I thaw the meat (usually whole carcass rabbit, or boneless turkey thighs with ground turkey organs) in the chub(s) in a large metal roasting pan, on the counter in my basement overnight. In the morning it's still very cold, but thawed. I cut open the chub in the pan, remove the wrapper, add the pre-mix supplement, I use Alnutrin, water, some fish oil, and ground organs if necessary, and mix it well with my hands, whilst wearing dishwashing gloves. Then put it into small plastic freezer-safe containers and back into the freezer. I haven't had any issues with kitties getting ill or rejecting the food.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't eat meat either but I don't think I'm screwing up the process too badly. I always bleach the heck out of the entire kitchen when I finish making food and I wash my hands constantly, regardless of whether or not I wear gloves.

I usually buy meat a week before I need to make the food so it goes straight in the freezer from the store. When I'm ready I defrost just until I can get a knife through it, grind (in your case cut into chunks?), mix, portion into ice cube trays (it makes feeding easier for me), and freeze. I use Alnutrin so I have to add in the liver, then I add in extra fat until around 50% of calories are from fat (my senior kitty needs it), fish oil (not required but I like to add it), and I add in a little hearts and gizzards to round the weight up to a nice number. After a couple days I pop the cubes out of the trays and put them into stackable storage containers. I take out one day of food at a time and let it defrost overnight in the refrigerator. For some reason, it hasn't actually been defrosting fully overnight anymore for the last few months, so I have to crush the partially frozen cubes and mix them with a little water until it's not icy anymore. My cat has no problem eating very cold food.

All I can say is mix the heck out of the food to make sure everything distributes well. I mix together the supplement, water, and fish oil first so it's at least partially dissolved when I add the meat. Once my cat fully transitioned to raw I didn't have any issues with her eating the food, even if it had a little freezer burn or something. She only gets sick if she scarfs and barfs but making sure she has enough dry to graze on overnight usually prevents that.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I have separate bowls (stainless), utensils and sponges that I use only for making the cats’ food. My kitchen scale has a removable stainless top, too. I cover the countertop with newspaper because I’m a klutz and will invariably slop some on the counter when I’m portioning out the food. I freeze batches in Rubbermaid containers that hold about 6-7 ounces. I usually dampen several paper towels to have at the ready if I need to wipe something quickly.

I freeze the meat when I bring it home from the store and then move it to the fridge a couple of days before I’m ready to make food. Once it’s thawed, I mix in the supplements and water, stir really well, and then portion out the mixture by weight into the containers. Then I label each container so I know what’s in it and re-freeze. I try to have everything set up beforehand so I’m not leaving the meat out for a long period of time.

I feed chicken, turkey and rabbit, all boneless. For the chicken, I mix individual supplements and liver using Dr. Pierson’s recipe at catinfo.org. I use EZ Complete for the turkey and rabbit because the girls seem to like those proteins better with the EZ. Why might EZ not work for Krista?

I don’t know if this helps but ask if you have more questions!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For other mixes that I have to make 2 lbs batches or more, do I thaw the meat, mix it all up, and then re-freeze it? /QUOTE]

Yes, partially thaw the meat, add in the pre-mix and water, stir to combine and break up the meat, portion out, and then refreeze.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why might EZ not work for Krista?
Because the inclusion of digestive enzymes makes her look like this. And breaks her trill button. She normally trills at a touch or even the suggestion of one. But when the digestive enzymes are eating her, she’s silent with a don’t touch me face. :(
EE9F9CD6-C8E7-454B-8B79-F3B24C656AA2.jpeg

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Because the inclusion of digestive enzymes makes her look like this. And breaks her trill button. She normally trills at a touch or even the suggestion of one. But when the digestive enzymes are eating her, she’s silent with a don’t touch me face. :(
View attachment 265762
Poor little one. She really does look miserable.