TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend in the palm society is on the west coast of Florida, posting on a chatroom in real time, some of her posts below (won't ID her) as the eye of the hurricane passes over her house, apparently.

" The eye wall of Ian is fixing to come ashore here in 30-45 minutes. Wind gust on the southwest corner of the eye wall just clocked at 179 mph(!). [Ed note: :running:] With counter clockwise rotation we should see that corner very soon. Naples, FL just clocked its highest storm surge ever: 5’ and rising. Rising sea at Ft. Myers Beach just washed away a chickee hut/cabana outside a resort and washed out the pool at the Pink Shell I’m beginning not wonder if our timeshare at the Royal Beach Club will survive. It’s on stilts but still……
" Just heard the rattle of more palm fronds bouncing off the roof. BTW, after Charley we invested in a metal roof, an investment I recommend to everyone in hurricane country."

"Ian’s eye wall is scheduled to cross into Cape Coral at 1:09 p.m. (2 minutes from now). Right now Pine Island is being slammed on live videos. Fort Myers Beach too - I fear even more for Royal Beach Club. Pine Island Sound looks like the North Sea in winter.
Lights flickering, stuff bouncing all over the roof. I think the eye wall is here."

Fort Myers Beach is awash with seawater. Cars are flooded and boats floating around.

But wait! The Lee County Sheriff’s Dept office trailer stationed at Lynn Hall Park by Times Square just floated by the Margaritaville resort construction!

Sanibel Island is in the eye. Ft. Myers Beach soon will be. Then Pine Island, next Cape Coral.

Last edited:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of husband's friends live in Naples. One lives about 4 miles from the water (not the ocean side). I have friends in Spring Hill and Orlando, and my sister has a friend in Daytona Beach. Hoping they are all okay. Power is out everywhere so hard to stay in contact.

Apparently, it's heading up in my direction now (North Carolina), but we aren't close to the coast (central NC). That didn't matter with Hurricane Fran, which got on the Cape Fear River and blew into my backyard as a Cat 1 storm. I saw how much damage a Cat 1 can do, I can't imagine trying to ride out a Cat 4 or 5, like some people do. They are predicting it will make a third landfall in South Carolina.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of husband's friends live in Naples. One lives about 4 miles from the water (not the ocean side). I have friends in Spring Hill and Orlando, and my sister has a friend in Daytona Beach. Hoping they are all okay. Power is out everywhere so hard to stay in contact.

Apparently, it's heading up in my direction now (North Carolina), but we aren't close to the coast (central NC). That didn't matter with Hurricane Fran, which got on the Cape Fear River and blew into my backyard as a Cat 1 storm. I saw how much damage a Cat 1 can do, I can't imagine trying to ride out a Cat 4 or 5, like some people do. They are predicting it will make a third landfall in South Carolina.
All my friends/relatives made out well.. lots of surrounding damage, but none to their properties.. They were very lucky.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cousin made out fine and they didn't lose power. The airport is still shut down though so they won't be leaving just yet. A few others have either been posting on social media or marked themselves as safe. I think most of my Florida people are on the east coast. A few are in Tampa but I won't hear from them directly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The water rushing behind him looks like the scene in Titanic where Jack and Rose are trying to escape. He was so sweet to the cat; even I would have probably grabbed it by the scruff and run with it, but he cradles it and comforts it.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I take back what I wrote earlier. One friend in Daytona got hit hard. He had 6 trees go down. One demolished his work shed, and a few others on his house and cars.. That is on the other side of Florida!! He also ran out of gas for his generator. A neighbor/friend went out in the storm to bring him gas to keep the generator running.. My friend has a lot of health issues..

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the wild horses are north of where it is supposed to make landfall. I think their instincts are to get away from the beach and huddle together in a group.

It's amazing how ferals are able to survive.