Praying for those facing 2022 hurricane season

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Canada begins long cleanup after Fiona sweeps homes out to sea

Hurricane Fiona (maybe "just" a tropical storm now) has done some apparently terrible damage.

I have a lot of friends in Florida and they're praying and raiding their supermarkets for a good old fashioned Hurricane Hoarding Hysteria situation.

We here in California aren't totally exempt, as we had a 'cane blow in from Mexico about a week or two ago, which caused a surprising amount of damage.

Let us know how you are, and hope you're well. And, the kitties and doggies, too . . .

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm in the part of Canada where Fiona passed over. Fortunately my area wasn't hit too bad, other than downed trees and power lines. I was also lucky and only lost power for about 14 hours, but the street behind me is still in the dark.

For a slow to get started hurricane season, it seems to be making up for it now, with Fiona, and now Ian heading towards Florida. :(

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of my husband's family members are in Nova Scotia. They got hit but are more inland so they only suffered power outages and strong winds. No significant damages as far as we know, they said they were fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Next up is Hurricane Ian.

Hope they don't end up retiring the name, but some are fearing it will be bad, as it could intensify over the open Gulf of Mexico after it passes the western tip of Cuba. (They retire the name if it's nasty, like Andrew, Betsy, Katrina.)

Below is a link to a nice pot of resources, including updated predicted paths, etc.

The big fear is that it could aim itself right up Tampa Bay, with a 25+ foot storm surge (8+ M), which, in a low lying landscape like that, could be deadly. There's mandatory evacuation orders, but where are hundreds of thousands of people going to go?

HURRICANE IAN (noaa.gov)

Here's a link for a gloom and doom piece about Ian as a possible Cat 5. False alarms may be annoying and tiring, but they're much better than real ones. Though I'm not sure a "mere Cat 3" is much of an improvement. Still, you take what you can get.

Florida is headed for a 'near worst-case scenario' with Hurricane Ian. Here's what a Category 5 storm could look like. (msn.com)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
After having power out for just 14 hours directly after Fiona, yesterday it went out again, and this time lasted 25 hours! It's back again now. Hopefully for good.

To anyone in Ian's track, good luck. Hope any damage is minimal. Stay safe.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Just texting with a friend who is I. Ian’s path. Was not before but is now. Near Sarasota.
She just flew back down to Florida for the winter. She should have stayed up here!!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just texting with a friend who is I. Ian’s path. Was not before but is now. Near Sarasota.
She just flew back down to Florida for the winter. She should have stayed up here!!
That is early to go back to Florida. I know a lot of people wait until after Thanksgiving, some wait until after Christmas. Sarasota has a large Amish population. I don't know how evacuation will work with the Amish. I don't think that community is as strict with modern technology since it isn't a farming community. Many of them are retired.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ian is close to a Category 5, 155 mph winds 157 is Category 5, and it still has a way to go before landfall. If it is a Category 5 it will only be the fifth one since they started reliably measuring windspeeds. The first one was Labor Day 1935 in Key West, they weren't named then. The next one was Camille in 1969 that made landfall in Mississippi. The next one was Andrew in 1992 in Southern Florida. The last one was Michael in 2018 which made landfall in the Florida panhandle, didn't hear a lot about that one because it didn't hit large population centers.

Katrina was actually only a Cat 3 when it made landfall. The levees failed and much of New Orleans is actually below sea level which made it so deadly. It is probably also why FEMA was caught flatfooted and evacuations weren't taken more seriously.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Vulnerable Tampa Faces Historic Flooding From Hurricane Ian (msn.com)

The last storm of this size to hit Tampa was in 1921. Apparently, the gulf coast of Florida gets spared hurricanes by the grace of the trade winds, but, not this time.

Praying for y'all.

The 1921 storm struck a city of just 160,000 people, most of whom lived on higher ground; today’s Tampa metro is home to more than 3 million, with most residential development concentrated in coastal areas. In the four counties that comprise the Tampa region, roughly half of all residents live at an elevation of less than 10 feet.

As the Tampa Bay Times reported earlier this year, under these conditions it doesn’t necessarily take a severe storm to do wide damage. One in nine Tampa properties could face flooding during a Category 1 storm, according to the report. One in five properties in Pinellas County — population 1 million — is at risk of flooding in a Category 1 hurricane. Ian is expected to be far stronger than that when it makes landfall in Florida late Wednesday into Thursday, somewhere between Tampa Bay and Charlotte Harbor.