Pray For Northern California

Discussion in 'IMO: In My Opinion' started by doomsdave, Oct 11, 2017 at 9:05 AM.

1. doomsdave

doomsdave TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 2, 2016
    California
  2. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    Here’s a picture of the Anaheim Hills fire from my roof.

969C0A17-4135-4058-BFF8-1E39638606FA.jpeg

3. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    Losing wine country is going to be a big hit for California. That is a huge tourist destination. Even Thomas Keller has a restaurant in Napa Valley. I don't know much about how chefs are ranked but I guess he is one of if not the premier chef in the U.S. Even the most arrogant celebrity chefs get an almost awe struck tone about them when Thomas Keller is mentioned.

4. blueyedgirl5946

blueyedgirl5946 TCS Member Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    Yes, this is so sad. Prayers for everybody affected.

5. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    What's particularly scary is the fact that most of the houses burned were not in the usual places for houses to get torched, which is right next to chaparral or scrub. Here, the fire started across a highway and blew into a tract of homes and burned them.

I picked my house to avoid being too close to scrub covered hillsides for just that reason.

Hope a future fire avoids me.

kat0121 purraised this.
  6. margd

margd Chula and Paul's roommate Staff Member Advisor

Feb 24, 2015
    Maryland USA
    The photos coming from California are just horrific - entire neighborhoods just gone. Flattened. The survivor stories show how fast the fires can change, giving people only moments to escape. My heart goes out to the many people affected by these fires. Sending wishes up to the universe that the firefighters (bless them) can contain the fires soon.

neely, doomsdave and muffy purraised this.
  7. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    Here's a winery, before and after.

SIG WINERY BEFORE.png

SIG WINERY AFTER.jpg

margd purraised this.
  8. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    I've been out here a long time, but you never really get used to the fires.

Every fall, it's the same, some years a lot worse than others. A long, dry summer, followed by Santa Ana winds that turn brushfires into giant blowtorches.

margd purraised this.
  9. Winchester

Winchester TCS Member Veteran

Aug 28, 2009
    In the kitchen
  10. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 7:48 AM
  11. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    no-cal-fire-4.jpg
    no-cal-fire-lady-house.jpg

12. neely

neely TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 22, 2005
    Great Lakes
    The devastation is both horrific and heartbreaking. My prayers and thoughts go out to those affected as well as the countless firefighters trying to contain the further spread of the wildfires. :vibes:

13. kat0121

kat0121 Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 23, 2014
    Sunny Florida
    This is just so heartbreaking. Mother Nature is really showing us who's in charge this year. :sigh:

I hope all our members in that area are OK. Those firefighters are heroes of the finest kind. May they stay safe too. :vibes:

margd purraised this.
  14. betsygee

betsygee Don't believe everything you think. Staff Member Moderator

Mar 17, 2013
    Central California USA
    I agree. Every year it's just a different area. Last summer, we had an awful time with the Soberanes fire in Big Sur. We had to help evacuate my elderly parents south of us, and my elderly BIL/SIL were evacuated from their home in another fire north of us. This year, our Central Coast area has been spared (so far, knock on wood!) but the fires to the north are horrendous.

It's worse than what we went through with Big Sur burning because there are so many more people, homes and businesses involved in the Napa/Sonoma fires. :ohwell:

15. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    I have seen some video that people have taken as they are driving out and law enforcement checking homes to make sure people are gone. Some scary stuff. One video a guy had stayed behind with a woman who was disabled. She wasn't on the video but I heard the cop say grab her feet, there was no finesse or taking their time it was just pick her up and go.

16. raysmyheart

raysmyheart TCS Member Top Cat

Jan 21, 2015
    Massachusetts
    My prayer is for relief for all those affected by this disaster.

17. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    The death toll mounts.

Seems kind of routine by now, doesn't it? I cant' recall a time when so many disasters came along back to back.

That's the real horror.

18. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    Things look worse and worse.

burned cul-de-sac.jpg burned truck.jpg burned out ruins.jpg

19. margd

margd Chula and Paul's roommate Staff Member Advisor

Feb 24, 2015
    Maryland USA
    These scenes look post-Apocalyptic, the last one especially. I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen photos from wildfires in which entire neighborhoods are turned into ash. This is such an horrific disaster -it's difficult for me to comprehend on the other side of the country. I'm glad you keep posting about this @doomsdave even though it's so heartbreaking.

Cat crying.gif