Potty Watching

geodevos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I always watch my indoor kitty's stool for clues to her health. I discovered quite by a lucky accident that my Dollie cat has some sort of little worms. She has been indoors every day of her 14 years with no cause to suspect any such thing. I recently had an idea to use an empty plastic 2 &1/2 pound coffee container to deposit Dollie's potty box scoopings. This is very convenient. The coffee tub seals tight, odors can't escape, and I can dispose of the contents when it's convenient. Soon after starting this, I noticed little white worms about a quarter inch long in the tub. Obviously they came from Dollie's stool. Previously I disposed of the stool promptly and nothing was ever noticed. In the moist container the parasites apparently developed and became visible. Now I wonder how long she was infested. After a course of worm medicine, Dollie is good as new and her stool is normal. I will be more alert for parasites in the future.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad Dollie okay! Ugh, those tapeworms are yucky! The bad news is, if she had tapeworm, she most likely has fleas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

geodevos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually Dollie HAD fleas. The fleas are eradicated but the tapeworms are the hangover. The fleas apparently came in with a visitor. It's a cautionary tale. I wish I knew how to avoid something like that but I do not. Fumigating all my visitors on the front porch may be a little extreme. But I'll consider it.