Potty Training?

sooz123

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hubby keeps eyeing kitty potty training kits. Sounds like a nice idea, but who has experience with these they can share?

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
like in a toilet? Its a great idea and apparently not too hard to do. CHack out the book "how to toilet train your cats"

chester&piper

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Good luck with that.......think how much we could all save on kitty litter?
We'd just spend more on toys and treats!

A friend of mine had a cat that used the toilet. He used to hang out in the bathroom when people went in to do their business. One day she looked in and there he was standing on the toilet taking a pee! He learned by watching the humans!! He stopped doing it though, when he fell in one day!

ccsr79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found this site, however if you look online there are many other places: http://www.catseat.com/

Don't know if it works, but I personally wouldn't like going to the bathroom and finding Lucas got there first, yuck!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One disadvantage to toilet-training a cat is if you have to board or hospitalize the cat. Obviously, they expect a cat to use a litterbox, not their restroom.

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
An ex-girlfriend did it. Definitely reality and not just crazy talk.

There are some obstacles...

initial time investment (hard if you work 60 hours/week...good if you work at home or have free time)

having a household toilet mostly tied up with the cat's stuff (at least during the training phase)

random cat behavior (your cat might decide it is fun to flush the toilet...and flush and flush and flush 20 times in a row from 3:00-3:10 AM just because it particularly enjoys the sensation)

The biggest drawback I saw (from witnessing ex-girlfriend's household) is that not all cats will learn. Most will, but if you have three cats then your "slow/skittish/whatever" cat probably won't learn and even with two out of three cats toilet trained, you still have to keep a traditional litterbox for the one who couldn't adapt. So what is the real advantage unless you get ALL of your cats successfully trained? My advice is to start with your least intelligent cat and work up.