Potential Scratched Eye?

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been nearly two months since I added a new cat to the family. They enjoy rough play and plenty of bunny kicks but they do still need to be separated when Gizmo, the bigger of the two, starts to think he can continuously pin Stevie down so I do try to always monitor their play time. Tonight though, I thought I could take a moment to enjoy my dinner when I heard a very quick cry out of a meow and that's when Gizmo came running with one of his eyes closed. When I investigated it, I saw a bit of blood and of course began a mini panic.

I wiped away the blood and tried to assess the seriousness of whatever this was but it was difficult because he still tried to play with Stevie underneath the door. His eye is able to open, though he does squint it a bit now that a few hours have passed. There seems to be some sort of mucous-y thing near the bottom of the eye that you can see in the attached picture. I thought, is it possible his third eyelid was cut and therefore is still kind of attached? He has a vet visit already scheduled for Thursday so I suppose if this had to happen, they picked a good time to do it.

Anybody had this happen before between two rowdy kitties? He's still playful and isn't rubbing at it at all. Like I said, he'll be going to the vet on Thursday. Just hoping for some peace of mind!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update in case anybody searches for something like this in the future. I got him into another vet today and they confirmed it was a lacerated third eyelid. They had to numb his eye and snip off the flap of eyelid remaining so it wouldn't heal by adhering to his cornea. No damage to the cornea though so that was good. He's got some goopy eye medication for the next seven days but all is well. :redheartpump:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Interesting...thanks for the update. Poor baby.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
glad the vet fixed the problem! yes the eye goop meds will help sooth the eyeball. They don't like it-but I found having the same spot for inserting the goopy meds helped the cat-I have a small tree scratching post that's the medicine platform and the cats know when they are on there-it's medication time-try to use the same area and same time of day-by the second/third day they usually get used to the poking and prodding-also have a meal ready for right afterwards or treats= training with food helps motivate these bundle of furry babies to put up with our poking/prodding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
glad the vet fixed the problem! yes the eye goop meds will help sooth the eyeball. They don't like it-but I found having the same spot for inserting the goopy meds helped the cat-I have a small tree scratching post that's the medicine platform and the cats know when they are on there-it's medication time-try to use the same area and same time of day-by the second/third day they usually get used to the poking and prodding-also have a meal ready for right afterwards or treats= training with food helps motivate these bundle of furry babies to put up with our poking/prodding.
Thank you for the tip! Unfortunately, I'm dog/housesitting at the moment and don't have their big cat trees/posts here with me but he seems to tolerate it decently just flipped over on his back on my lap. He gets plenty of treats afterwards!