Potential Purina One Cat Food Problem

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's being reported through several venues that cat owners are seeing their cats sicken and (in some cases) die while eating Purina One cat kibble. The initial symptoms seem to be vomiting, lack of appetite, increased thirst, and diarrhea, eventually progressing to intermittent weakness of back legs, lethargy and worse. Blood tests aren't picking anything up during initial stages, but whatever is happening seems to be affecting the liver and kidneys of the cats.

I don't normally give a heads-up on warnings like this, but this seems to be effecting enough cat owners that it warrants a mention for those feeding Purina One.

From "Pictures of Cats": Potential Purina One Cat Food Problem

From "Heart of a Healer":  WARNING: Purina pet food has started making pets ill

Here's hoping none of our wonderful TCS kitties are affected!!!!!

AC

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Brother..... Both Hope and Lucky eat Purina ProPlan Hairball.... I know it is not ONE, but still, gets me concerned, as it can come from the same plant?
I guess I am going to start transitioning them to another hairball food at once -
Thank you so much for posting this Auntie - Appreciate the heads up! :wavey:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so much, Auntie :hugs:.... I hope everyone sees your thread. I think is it is SO important to report thing's like this :nod: Hope no get's sick from Purina One..... :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Apparently it's not just limited to Purina One....I've been reading several consumer complaints on many different Purina products, including Fancy Feast canned, Pro Plan, and also not limited to cat food, but dog food as well.  Strange that Purina has not come out with a statement!  But now that this has come up, I, myself, have noticed that my own cats have be shying away from their "beloved" Fancy Feast canned food AND Pro Plan canned food, and maybe this is why!  Darn, those were the only two wet foods they would generally eat
.  I bought them a can of BG the other day, and they all four turned their noses up at it

cat2050

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Purina products have been always problematic. 80% of all their ingredients come from China. As you may know Purina is owned by Nestle. I do not buy Purina and I recommend not to buy Purina products. They make China rich. Boycott Purina

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats are junk food junkies. They like eating purina ONE over all the rest. I give up. What ever makes them happy. Just rather have them with me as long as possible. Funny how most people want to get rid of them after the cuteness wears off. But I like mine. I like saving as many as I possibly can. Even if I do have cheap food. And I don't care if one or two make me sneeze when I hold them. The love is worth the inconvientance

Corn/potatoes what the differance. Too bad about the China conection tho. Might switch becasue of the that. But what isn't now a days. Cats rule my house

Last edited:

lonelykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
great all I can afford and get mine to eat is fancy feast canned, and purina one canned.  They have some good quality canned they eat too.  Both ours seem fine so far, knock on wood.  Both eating, drinking and pottying good.  I'll have to find a way to buy different canned food for my babies than take the other stuff back, they will not be happy with mommy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, guys, don't give up; arm yourselves!

Educate yourselves on which ingredients are healthy, which cause the least harm, and which are totally unacceptable. Then read up on the many ways cats can be enticed, tricked, cajoled and bamboozled into eating healthier foods. Once you've got that ammunition, do some studying on the huge variety of canned products available, pick out some new foods for your cats (I recommend no less than three, in rotation, but the more, the better) and go for it.

The TruthAboutPetFood.com site has a large catalog of ingredient-related information, but there are actually quite a few resources on this topic. Your best bet, for an in-depth understanding of the manufacturing process, the tricks used in creating the "ingredients lists", ingredient sourcing and naming as well as what's truly behind the names, I recommend picking up any of the several books on the topic. In my opinion, Susan Thixton's "Buyer Beware" is the most detailed and easy to read, but any of them will give you the info you need to feel confident when you hit the pet food aisles.

CatInfo.org, RawFedCats.org, Feline-Nutrition.org and many other sites all have transition articles of one sort or another. Read as many as you can, since you never know just which trick will be exactly the one to which your cat responds.

Use petfooddirect.com to start your product reviews. They offer a huge selection, and both ingredients and analysis are available on every item.

Finally, be patient, wily and persistent; you're in charge and your kitty's well-being is dependent upon you. You have to out-wait, out-fox and out-maneuver the little rascal.
This can sometimes takes weeks or months, but it can be done.

Never give up!

AC

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you Carolina for the above link. Scary to read. I have Fancy Feast here and at times have to feed it to Perla when she gets finicky about her wet food. :paranoid:..

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Carolina, I will keep feeding the same as I was. Dry and wet. Mine like Friskies wet tho. Why not Friskies dry I don't know. I don't eat it. I like the shinny coat they get from Nutro products, but they tire of that food and leave it. Purina ONE for sensitive stomach and indoor cat the bowls are empty all the time.

Wish I had the money and time for something else, but I don't.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I sent an email to Purina (via their website "contact us" form) asking why they are not addressing the growing complaints of pet illness and pet death from eating their pet food products. If I hear any reply, I'll post it here.

PS not completely off topic since people are concerned about switching finicky cats: I discovered a trick that worked with Tolly :angel:, most of the time. If he was being finicky, I would put a food down in front of him I KNEW he didn't like. (His looks of disgust were roll on the floor funny). Then I remove the offending food and put down the food I wanted him to eat. By comparison the second food smelled good, and he would usually eat it without any more trouble. :lol3:

Last edited:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, guys, don't give up; arm yourselves!

Educate yourselves on which ingredients are healthy, which cause the least harm, and which are totally unacceptable. Then read up on the many ways cats can be enticed, tricked, cajoled and bamboozled into eating healthier foods. Once you've got that ammunition, do some studying on the huge variety of canned products available, pick out some new foods for your cats (I recommend no less than three, in rotation, but the more, the better) and go for it.

The TruthAboutPetFood.com site has a large catalog of ingredient-related information, but there are actually quite a few resources on this topic. Your best bet, for an in-depth understanding of the manufacturing process, the tricks used in creating the "ingredients lists", ingredient sourcing and naming as well as what's truly behind the names, I recommend picking up any of the several books on the topic. In my opinion, Susan Thixton's "Buyer Beware" is the most detailed and easy to read, but any of them will give you the info you need to feel confident when you hit the pet food aisles.

CatInfo.org, RawFedCats.org, Feline-Nutrition.org and many other sites all have transition articles of one sort or another. Read as many as you can, since you never know just which trick will be exactly the one to which your cat responds.

Use petfooddirect.com to start your product reviews. They offer a huge selection, and both ingredients and analysis are available on every item.

Finally, be patient, wily and persistent; you're in charge and your kitty's well-being is dependent upon you. You have to out-wait, out-fox and out-maneuver the little rascal. :catguy: This can sometimes takes weeks or months, but it can be done.

Never give up!

AC
Thank you for this info - I have noted it to give to others.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This morning I sent an email to Purina (via their website "contact us" form) asking why they are not addressing the growing complaints of pet illness and pet death from eating their pet food products. If I hear any reply, I'll post it here.
PS not completely off topic since people are concerned about switching finicky cats: I discovered a trick that worked with Tolly :angel:, most of the time. If he was being finicky, I would put a food down in front of him I KNEW he didn't like. (His looks of disgust were roll on the floor funny). Then I remove the offending food and put down the food I wanted him to eat. By comparison the second food smelled good, and he would usually eat it without any more trouble. :lol3:
:lol3: Great tip!!! AND btw - I have had to try this with Perla - and it work's!!! She is my finicky one. That is why I end up feeding her Fancy Feast :nothappy:. I would lace the good stuff with Fancy Feast :flail: Not any more :(.... Have to find another trick.... :hmm:

Please do let us know if you here from Purina :nod:

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am going to keep a close eye on this.  My cats are a hard case...  Rex and Juno both have sensitive stomachs and, oddly enough, they can not eat the GOOD foods as easily.  I have no idea why, but we have tried everything!  We used Authority, Wellness, Blue Buffalo and all 3 gave Rex and Juno diarrhea.  Now they are eating Purina (NOT Purina One) indoor and stools are perfect.  If I switch, particularly those two cats, the outcome could be awful for their tummies.  :(  This is all too reminiscent of the big recalls 5 years ago...when my dog was eating Iams which was affected.  We narrowly missed that one before we got him switched.  Good Grief! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...   PS not completely off topic since people are concerned about switching finicky cats: I discovered a trick that worked with Tolly
, most of the time. If he was being finicky, I would put a food down in front of him I KNEW he didn't like. (His looks of disgust were roll on the floor funny). Then I remove the offending food and put down the food I wanted him to eat. By comparison the second food smelled good, and he would usually eat it without any more trouble.
What a cool idea!!!! I'm adding this to my arsenal of tips. Thanks!!
I am going to keep a close eye on this.  My cats are a hard case...  Rex and Juno both have sensitive stomachs and, oddly enough, they can not eat the GOOD foods as easily.  I have no idea why, but we have tried everything!  We used Authority, Wellness, Blue Buffalo and all 3 gave Rex and Juno diarrhea.  Now they are eating Purina (NOT Purina One) indoor and stools are perfect.  If I switch, particularly those two cats, the outcome could be awful for their tummies.  :(  This is all too reminiscent of the big recalls 5 years ago...when my dog was eating Iams which was affected.  We narrowly missed that one before we got him switched.  Good Grief! 
I'm keeping an eye on this. I have a theory - STRICTLY theory - that what's going on may be closer to what happened in 2007 than any of us would like.

Seventeen brands of kibble have undergone recalls / product pulls for aflatoxin in the last few weeks (eleven different Iams and Eukanuba cat and dog products; two Cargill Animal Nutrition dog products: River Run and Marksman; one O’Neal’s Feeders Supply, Inc. dog product: Arrow Brand; and three Advanced Animal Nutrition of Thayer Dog Power products: Adult Maintenance Formula 21-12, Hunters Formula 27-14, and Hi-Pro Performance Formula 26-18).

From what I understand so far, weather conditions were just right for promoting the growth of aflatoxin in corn at a crucial time during the production. Both Purina One and Fancy Feast are grain heavy products and include corn. Aflatoxin poisoning symptoms are vomiting, lack of appetite, discolored, bloody and loose stools, lethargy and weakness, eventually leading to liver and kidney problems, among other things.

Since there are many, many more manufacturers who use corn in their products, I think there is a potential these problems / recalls may spiral out in the same pattern we saw in 2007. Just not, heaven forbid, in the numbers nor with the deaths that marked the melamine poisoning.

Of course, there are many problems that can cause those same symptoms, so I could very well be wrong. Only time will tell.

Regards.

AC

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fancy Feast canned food doesn't have corn. . .I hope it is Aflatoxin in corn (any grain can be infected, and dairy from cows who have eaten infected grain), because my mom's cats all eat Fancy Feast. Ugh.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I understand so far, weather conditions were just right for promoting the growth of aflatoxin in corn at a crucial time during the production. Both Purina One and Fancy Feast are grain heavy products and include corn. Aflatoxin poisoning symptoms are vomiting, lack of appetite, discolored, bloody and loose stools, lethargy and weakness, eventually leading to liver and kidney problems, among other things.

Since there are many, many more manufacturers who use corn in their products, I think there is a potential these problems / recalls may spiral out in the same pattern we saw in 2007. Just not, heaven forbid, in the numbers nor with the deaths that marked the melamine poisoning.
Over 70% of supermarket products contain some form of corn product in the United States.  In fact, corn and soy make up more calories of an American diet than any other food product.  If corn crops at large were an issue, which is entirely possible, the health effects would not take months to realize.  

When in doubt, simply use bags/cans with an older date, which means they would have been in circulation for many many weeks.   Personally, I don't feed anything I haven't held onto for a month, which is a non-issue since the dry and wet food typically has a shelf life of at least two years.   Even the best manufacturers have recalls now and then, as I learned with the Wellness 12oz cans I had which were recalled for a particular vitamin deficiency.

Can't get any safer than that.  

Last edited: