Potential new cat owner - please help me find a low-shedding friendly breed? Devon Rex?

trexie97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, really glad I've stumbled across the site - hopefully you guys can help me :)

I am a proud dog owner (have 2 small Maltese crosses) and recently have been thinking of getting a cat.  I've never owned a cat before, but have started to really like them after cat-sitting a friend's cat.

One of the issues though was that that Scottish Fold which I was cat-sitting shed a LOT.  There was fur all over my sofa and bed covers.

So I was hoping to get some help on what cat breed I should look into?

This is what I like:
  • Minimal / no shedding
  • Friendly / social
  • Loyal / follows people around / sits on laps / etc.
  • Intelligent / dog-like
After doing some research on the internet, I have found the following that suit what I like:
  • Devon Rex
  • Cornish Rex
  • Sphinx
Was just wondering if I'm missing any? Any help much appreciated :)

Thanks!

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I looked at a Devon Rex, but my husband was committed to rescuing, so,we ended up,with a good old DSH.

My cat doesn't shed a ton, but we keep her brushed and she gets a commercial raw diet. We also use a foam shampoo on her.

She is shedding now, because her brushing hasn't been kept up lately. My point is with a little work the shedding can be kept at bay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trexie97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I looked at a Devon Rex, but my husband was committed to rescuing, so,we ended up,with a good old DSH.

My cat doesn't shed a ton, but we keep her brushed and she gets a commercial raw diet. We also use a foam shampoo on her.

She is shedding now, because her brushing hasn't been kept up lately. My point is with a little work the shedding can be kept at bay.
Thanks for the reply :) I actually do intend to brush the cat regularly anyway - but I'd also like to get a cat that's known not to really need it as much.  As a precautionary measure. 

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Though I don't know enough about the breeds you mentioned to offer any helpful advice, I wanted to say hi and welcome to TCS!