Potential fleas from hospital stay

Tuxedokittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We originally thought our cat had some form of rash about a week after he spent 5 days in the hospital. His belly rash is almost gone as hair has been growing in and doesn’t bother him anymore. We notice him scratching at head sometimes. I originally noticed what seemed to be a bump of some sort which turned into a scab where his hair has now fallen out as it’s healed (I’ve attached that picture below). However I felt a new bump with a scab on the back of his head and have noticed 2 more small scabs on the side of his face and another small bump on his neck but with no scabbing (it’s not uncommon for him to get little pimples sometimes which usually go away with no scabbing etc.). Does that sound like he might’ve caught fleas from the hospital? I’ve searched him for fleas and have not been able to see anything so far, is it possible he could still have them? We have a second cat and haven’t noticed her scratching anymore than normal and have not seen any bumps or scabbing on her. Any insight is great, thanks!

Attachments

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It wouldn't hurt to apply some flea prevention to all your cats just to be safe

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. When you say you searched him for fleas, did you use a flea comb? Just looking for them without a flea comb isn't always effective/productive. I would do that first, and then go from there.

I use a dish of soapy water (any dish soap will do), take long strokes with the comb, and if I see anything in the comb I immerse it in the soapy water. If there are any fleas, they will drown. I dry off the comb with paper towels and repeat until I've done all but the butt & tail (which is where many of the fleas will 'run' to), then I comb that area. Also, when wiping off the comb on the paper towels, check for a reddish tinge from the water - that means flea dirt (aka flea poop with blood in it from biting your cat).