Potential Asthma?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Right! The squirrels messed up the roof and water got in so we have consistent mold. No matter how many times it's removed, it keeps coming back. And instead of repairing the damage, they patched the roof. But the squirrels ruined it again. So now the walls are soaked with squirrel pee and water from the snow and water. It's really embarrassing. I guess we'll have to wait until summer for Felix to get better.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
eesh. I feel bad for you guys!! Would your vet have something, given this info about the mold, that Felix could take to help him a little more long-term-ish?
The only other thing I can think of is maybe an air cleaner to try and address anything that's actually in the air--hang in there!!

Devilmunch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll get right to the point. Felix was having what appeared to be asthma attacks so I took him to the vet. She said everything sounded good but I pushed for an x-ray. Still didn't show anything. Just a very small amount of grey area. I was given 10 days of antibiotics but he had a really violent attack last night. He couldn't breathe well for several seconds and I didn't know what to do. He's had a lot more energy since he's been taking the antibiotics but this attack would prove that he's not better, correct? I don't know what to do at this point.
I'm not a vet, but have you considered allergy testing? I have 2 cats, both indoor only, who have asthma and 1 is on an inhaler. Toby's breathing problems seems to be seasonal so I suggested allergy testing. The vet allergist did the blood test first but he showed up to only a couple of things. So, we went for the scratch test. OMG, the things he is allergic to is 2 pages long, cotton, fleas, etc. He now takes allergy medication and the difference has been phenomenal for him. My other cat, Louie, aka Mr. Peebody, also has asthma (my original vet suggested vitamin supplements). My new vet took an xray and sent it to a radiologist for reading. It was evident that there was irritation in his airways. He is now on fluticasone inhaler. He's older so having an allergy test isn't feasible.
The allergy testing wasn't as expensive as I had expected, nor is the medicine. Toby is controlled and gets it during spring and fall every 2 weeks, and every 3 weeks during the summer and winter.
I get the fluticasone from Canada Drugs. It's the same drug, by the same manufacturer and is filled by a pharmacy in New Zealand. It's much less expensive than in the US. He gets the 110 mcg 2 times per day.
I hope this helps and gives you information you need.