Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community
Share A Funny Cat Story To Win Gwen Cooper's Book! Click here for details

Potential 2020 Presidential Candidates

Discussion in 'IMO: In My Opinion' started by donutte, Apr 9, 2018.

1. doomsdave

doomsdave TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    Or unchecked migration of liberals from California, New York, or elsewhere to such places.

Hmm. What are the southwest states? I think CA, NM, AZ, CO, UT, NV.

Looks like Nevada and New Mexico are both blue already, along, for now with California. Maybe Colorado too.

2. orange&white

orange&white TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas

3. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota

4. orange&white

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas
    Yes, well, as a Libertarian I just think that Robert Francis is his name. :)

5. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    What does Libertarianism have to do with it? Genuinely curious.

It's generally considered aggressive and rude to refuse to call/refer to someone by the name they prefer.

But mostly I just find it distracting and weird. Like the person is trying to say something they don't want to say outright and I have to try to figure it out :headscratch:. Huh, I think that's the definition of a dogwhistle.

Are you against all nicknames or you just don't like him?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018

6. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    O'Rourke reminds very strongly of Bobby Kennedy. I don't really know why, there is only a faint physical resemblance and he has nothing like a Boston accent, but he reminds me of Bobby Kennedy. Of course a minority of people remember Bobby Kennedy so that doesn't really mean a whole lot.

7. mschauer

mschauer TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    It's just nonsense. They'll reach for anything they think they can use as a smear no matter how absurd. O'Rourke, and everyone else, should just ignore it.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018

8. mschauer

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    I think he has potential. He might be a bit green though. He is in his third term as a US Representative so he does have experience governing at the national level. I'm just not quite decided on him yet as a viable Presidential candidate. At this point Biden is the only potential candidate I know for sure I would have great confidence in.

catsknowme purraised this.

9. orange&white

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas
    Nothing to do with Libertarianism directly. You posted a link to why the GOP is "obsessed" with his nickname. I was just pointing out that not only the GOP uses his Christian name versus his Latino nickname.

Found a great photo of his staff taking a break! :lol2:

[​IMG]

10. orange&white

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas
    A lot of people think so. There is a Kennedy family "resemblance".

11. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    I wonder if that is why he uses a different name, Bobby Kennedy was also Robert Francis. Being compared with Bobby Kennedy would not be a good thing simply because it is unfair to compare anyone with another person. We are all different.

12. mschauer

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    No. Beto is a nickname he has used his whole life. It was given to him by his family when he was a child. That's what makes the nonsense over him using it just that, nonsense.

13. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    I think HE should ignore it. But for everyone else, it's hard to know when to call someone out for being a jerk and when to ignore them. People who pull that crap better not try to lecture me on civility in politics though.

I think if someone pulls that in real life I'll just look at them blankly and say "who?" Maybe pretend to be shocked---shocked!--- that his full name is Robert Francis: "I wouldn't have supported him if I had known his name was ROBERT!!!! And his middle name is Francis?!?!?!? Gasp!!!!"

I just wish I knew WHY, and what they're trying to manipulate me into thinking. Obviously if they called Obama "Barack Hussein" they were trying to make people think he was a Muslim, or just to play up how "different" he was. But I can't figure this one out! Maybe Francis to imply that he's effeminate? Robert is such an average name though. It's really weird.

14. orange&white

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas
    Maybe no one is trying to manipulate you into thinking anything and just using Robert's given name.

But we get it. It's four of the Left's many Rules:, cumulatively referred to as "The Laws of Political Correctness".
    1) Calling someone on the Left by their given name (e.g. Robert) must be manipulative, and is therefore and insult.
    2) Calling anyone who is not on the Left a "nickname" (e.g. Bozo Boy, Trumpelstiltskin) is neither manipulative, nor insulting.
    3) If it does happen to be insulting, it's deserved, because they are not part of the collective Left, and are therefore Evil and deserving of ridicule.
    4) If the Right suggests a nickname is an insult, it's their fault for not being able to take a joke.

Yeah, the Rules are fairly easy to understand.

maggiedemi purraised this.

15. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    There's literally no reason to do so. Calling someone by a name they do not prefer is an act of aggression and disrespect. If you were consistent about not using nicknames (calling Ted Cruz Raphael, etc.), it might just be a personal quirk, otherwise I have to try to decipher what you're trying to actually say and how you're trying to manipulate me. If someone uses a nickname for everyone else but singles out one person to call by their full name, they are definitely up to something, and anyone who isn't suspicious of them isn't very smart. I'm just wondering what that something is.

People who used Obama's middle name were DEFINITELY trying to manipulate people into thinking he was Muslim and/or a terrorist. So there's an excellent historical basis for this.

An actual insulting nickname is at least transparent. Then you know someone dislikes the person they are insulting and there's no translation necessary. Then I recognize what that person is trying to manipulate me into believing, and I can accept or reject it.

People have reasons for doing things that are out of the ordinary. If it's not an insult/aggression/hatred/manipulation, why do you do it?

16. orange&white

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas
    I like the name Robert Francis.

maggiedemi and Stinky15 purraised this.

17. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    I seriously doubt that. I don't think you like him, and there is no reason to use a name you like for someone you don't. But I can pretend it's the truth if you like :).

That certainly isn't the reason all the other conservatives are doing it though.

I still plan to point out how obnoxious it is every time I see/hear it. Unless I can mess with someone by pretending to be shocked. Way more fun :D.

18. orange&white

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas
    I'll spend more time thinking about something fun to make for dinner than I will spend worrying about whether someone wants to call Trump "Orange Man".

Politics isn't everything. None of us can control any of it except for one vote, so debates/discussions are just an interesting pastime and impersonal. I'll never meet Robert Francis, or Raphael Edward, or Donald John, or likely any of these public figures. I think we can call them whatever names we like, rude or respectful, and they won't be insulted. We shouldn't be either.

Meanwhile, this is a great article on how the Left is shaping up the 2020 agenda. https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...noredirect=on&utm_term=.0021a2e2e853Potential candidates named here are people we've already talked about.
    Michael Bloomberg
    Sherrod Brown
    Bernie Sanders
    Tom Steyer
    Cory Booker
    Elizabeth Warren

maggiedemi purraised this.

19. Stinky15

Stinky15 TCS Member Adult Cat

Jun 9, 2018
    whatever you call him, he is a sad joke. If the Dems. let him run it will be because he is young and resembles Kennedy.... They like that. It would be better if he was a minority though...
    Every time I see Elizabeth Warren I think of this:

20. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Do you have a well-thought-out, intelligent reason you call him "a sad joke"? If so, that could be a good discussion. I mean, if he is truly a sad joke I'd like to know about it.