Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Potential 2020 Presidential Candidates

Discussion in 'IMO: In My Opinion' started by donutte, Apr 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donutte

donutte Thread Starter Professional cat sitter extraordinaire! Top Cat

Apr 22, 2015
    Northern suburbs of Chicago
    Yeah, I'm going there. This is for both Republican and Democrat. As much as third party would be a nice concept, it won't be anything more than a spoiler in 2020 at this point, so keeping the discussion to the two major parties.

Curious what folks' thoughts are. I am pretty sure someone (maybe multiple someones) will throw their hat in on the Republican ticket. There's enough dissatisfaction among Republicans that that will likely happen. And Trump of course, he's been campaigning since he took office.

Democratic side, I'm just not sure. I've seen lists of people who are not politicians, and most of whom are billionaires. It's killing me that we've devolved to the point where only $$$$$$$ gets you elected (seems to be the case in IL even).

Not sure if Bernie would run on the Democratic ticket or stick with Independent if he ran... but I don't think he'd have a big draw on a lot of people. The one plus about him - he might actually get people out to vote.

Then there's Biden. I sure hope he runs. Is he perfect, no - not looking for perfection though. I just want someone who will focus on UNITING the country instead of focusing on DIVIDING it. This is a big part of why I would prefer a moderate candidate.

Pucks104 purraised this.

2. xlpooper

xlpooper TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 8, 2007
    South
    Are you kidding? The people who voted for Trump are elated at what he's accomplished. Goodness, I've had DEMOCRATS tell me Trump is doing a good job.
    I think the goof ball Uncle Joe Biden will run on the Democrats ticket.

GaryT, foxxycat and blueyedgirl5946 purraised this.

3. donutte

Apr 22, 2015
    Actually, not all people who voted for Trump are elated with what he's accomplished. I know many who are not, so I wouldn't make broad assumptions like that.

In regards to what I said, I meant a lot of the Republicans in office are not that happy with him, and they have said as such. My apologies for not elaborating on what I meant.

I'm sure MANY more than Biden will run in the Democratic primary.

4. Lilacat >(^.^)<

Lilacat >(^.^)< TCS Member Adult Cat

Mar 26, 2018
    As a Canadian, I'm wondering what other choices there may be.
    We cannot stand scump, & cannot believe he's still in office! Unfortunately, he affects all of us.

Pucks104 and muffy purraised this.

5. donutte

Apr 22, 2015
    I will say that Trump has done one thing for sure - shown us that there is just WAY too much old blood in the pool of usual suspects for candidates. Old blood doesn't excite people, doesn't bring them out to vote, and they just don't win (unless they're virtually unopposed). Like it or not, that's how it is.

We definitely need some fresh faces in the game. And not just billionaires. People who are passionate and really believe the things they claim to stand behind. Politically savvy people (a BIG emphasis on this) who are willing to take a chance.

Lilacat >(^.^)< purraised this.

6. JamesCalifornia

JamesCalifornia TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 1, 2016
    Los Angeles
    ~ I would not be surprised if the Democrats run Louis Farrakhan and Maxine Waters ... ! :sleep:

GaryT, NY cat man, foxxycat and 1 other person purraised this.

7. donutte

Apr 22, 2015
    I suppose asking to suppress sarcasm would have been too much to ask for :sigh:

ArchyCat, muffy and micknsnicks2mom purraised this.

8. vyger

vyger TCS Member Alpha Cat

Jun 24, 2017
    Northeast Montana
    David Letterman. Trouble is he would never be willing to give up the good life in Montana.

By the way, at least he knows how to talk and act and does appear to have a conscious and moral standards. He is not an idiot and has all the money he wants. Also all his kids are little so they wouldn't be looking for nepotism jobs. He possibly could get Opera to run as his VP.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    micknsnicks2mom purraised this.

9. doomsdave

doomsdave TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    So far, the only reasonably plausible candidate I've heard of is Elizabeth Warren, and she says she's not going to run. Sen. Warren says she isn't running for president in 2020 - CNNPolitics

Maybe Joe Biden would be, but I like Liz better. That said, whoever it is in 2020, I'll vote for, aside from the First Pig.

We need a compelling candidate to unseat a sitting President. Don't know if Joe's it. But he beats others by a country mile. Billionaires? Zuckerberg? No [oedipal expletive] way, for me. Oprah isn't running. We have a CEO in office now, and look what it's got us.

neely purraised this.

10. donutte

Apr 22, 2015
    Oprah would be good in the sense that people know her, and most like her. Not sure how I feel about her in such a big office though, but I also don't know much about her politically. Bit of trivia - my main reason for originally knowing her was that my sister was on her show waaaaay back in the day (back when it was still "AM Chicago", and guessing only shown here).

David Letterman, interesting. I know if I was in retirement no way I'd want to run for office. Makes me think a bit of "Man of the Year" though with Robin Williams.

11. mschauer

mschauer TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    If he did I think he would do well against the Dastardly Turd (or Liar in Chief if you prefer). :wink:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    muffy purraised this.

12. donutte

Apr 22, 2015
    The part I'm having trouble with is a compelling candidate. Warren would have a rough time I think because she turned off a lot of Bernie supporters when she supported Hillary (like, I've never heard people spew so much hate as when that happened). I think some have started coming around to liking her again, but some are still holding a grudge. I do like that she's vocal though, but doesn't sound like a raving lunatic in the process.

And no, I wouldn't want Zuckerberg or any other CEOs. That didn't work for IL, it's not working for the US, and we can file it under "tried that, didn't work, let's move on".

micknsnicks2mom purraised this.

13. AbbysMom

AbbysMom At Abby's beck and call Staff Member Moderator

May 18, 2005
    Massachusetts
    The local buzz here is that former governor Deval Patrick is considering a run -

Deval Patrick Weighing 2020 White House Bid

I really like our Republican Governor, Charlie Baker, but I don't think he's ready to throw his hat in and many Republicans feel he is too Moderate.

14. micknsnicks2mom

micknsnicks2mom TCS Member Top Cat

Feb 15, 2014
    ...with the cats...
    i (still) think that John Kasich would be a really good choice, as long as he ran as an independant.

honestly, i'll likely vote for the candidate (not republican, with the current state of that party) that has the best chance of unseating trump.

15. mschauer

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    Biden is a real possibility. His age concerns me but he is only 4 years older than Trump. And there is a rumour that he might be willing to stipulate that he will only run for one term, just to unseat Trump.

16. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    That will be an interesting lawsuit if Joe B changes his mind.

foxxycat purraised this.

17. micknsnicks2mom

micknsnicks2mom TCS Member Top Cat

Feb 15, 2014
    ...with the cats...
    hmmm :think:...i hadn't considered that Biden might run. now there's a good possibility!

18. mschauer

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    At least as of now, I can't see the RNC dumping Trump and anyone going up against him in the primaries will need some heavy hitters behind them.

19. mschauer

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    Huh?? What lawsuit?

20. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    If he chooses to run for a second term, notwithstanding a "stipulation" for only one. I can't imagine him making such an agreement, but a lot's happened lately I can't imagine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.