[Posting for a friend] New cat owner and his cat's neuter incision opened up!

Kittypet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys, I've got a friend who just got a new cat. Ginger manx tom, possibly between the ages of 3-5 years or more, he's not sure as the cat was given to him as a stray from his landlord, a bit suddenly, so he sort of became a new cat dad over night. He's bonded with the cat very quickly and the two are doing great getting to know each other during this tough time of quarantines and hardships, so to have this happen on top of all the good they've had together is just bad luck as well as bad timing. I'm going to add the pictures below of what the wound looks like at the moment (they're a bit graphic as it's an open wound so I've placed them in a spoiler tag).

He just noticed it tonight.

The cat's been eating and drinking normally since he got him, using the bathroom fine, doesn't have any gum discoloration or a fever of any recognizable feel, the only thing that made him notice was the boy was licking his nether regions while on his back and when he flopped back for a break he caught sight of it. I've advised him to contact a vet as soon as possible, it's like midnight where we're at so he can't now and there aren't any emergency vet's in his area that he's aware of yet so in the morning he's going to start the process of getting him looked at. I just wanted to post here and see if we can't get anymore advice for him.

He's worried about cost and that this is worse than it is, but I've tried to reassure him that since he caught it so soon he should be able to get it taken care of without fear for his new cat...the cost isn't something I can promise won't be an arm and a leg, but if anyone has experienced something like this any sort of words of warning or comfort or just general advice would be nice.

Thanks everyone!

JPEG_20200329_235505.jpg

JPEG_20200329_235620.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he needs to be seen and have the wound reglued/stitched. This is a rare occurrence. I have had them come partially open and still have healed fine, but that wound needs to be attended to. I'm so sorry, I will pray for your little guy. It should be fine, he has no active bleeding. I have had cats with open wounds like that from abscesses and they healed fine. he may need an antibiotic for a while, I found the easiest way to give a liquid is to put it one of those lickable stew treats they have now. Cats lick them right up. Please keep us posted!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The wound will definately need to be closed and the sooner the better as there is a good chance of infection otherwise. My vet didnt charge when I had one of my cats wounds reclosed, maybe your friends vet wont either. Please let us know how it goes.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, depending on where you are and what time it is there, our boy is probably already set to be seen. IF he can be taken back to the vet that did the neuter, it should be very reasonable or free. If not, there will be the cost of a vet visit and restitching, but that isn't going to be nearly as expensive as the original neuter.

Fortunately, he apparently caught this fairly soon, as the wound looks quite good at this point, all things considered. Edges are clean and the color is good, no drainage. Now, there are no guarantees, but it appears to be a fairly simple repair. PLEASE let us know how Whatshisface is doing! Does he even have a name yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittypet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi hi, back with an update!

So my friend got him in to be seen today (his name is Sabin, btw- sorry I didn't mention it) and it looks like everything is going to be a-okay! We were right to say he caught it at the perfect time since there was no sign of infection and the vet he took him to said that they'll be able to stitch him up and send him home in a day at best. The cost looks like it's going to be under $300, he didn't quote me an exact amount, but I'd say that's pretty generous considering they likely did a check up on him too while he was there. Friend said they're going to give him some painkillers and send him home with more of the same while he heals...but the Vet also said it doesn't look like it was a botched neuter job like I was thinking.

I dunno about that though...that's something I'd likely argue that it is because of how clean the wound was and how unlikely he'd be to get cut on something in friend's house to create such a wound. Friend was informed by the landlord, after asking this morning, that they took the cat to a discount mobile vet and I honestly think that could have been what did it- maybe the sutures weren't applied correctly or they opened a little and he did the rest of the work with his licking- who knows?

But I don't agree that it absolutely wasn't a botched neuter stitch- it seems silly to completely rule that out considering the placement and how clean the opening was.

Anyway, Sabin is in the office now getting taken care of and my friend is back home taking a nap because the poor guy was up all night with worry. Thanks for all the advice guys, I've given him the link to the forum and invited him to the community since ya'll are always so good at chiming in when us cat parents are in need~

Here's some pictures of the orange boi, for that cat tax:

JPEG_20200324_163141.jpg

JPEG_20200327_004414.jpg

Thanks again everyone!!! :lovecat3:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's not where the neuter incision is, so I agree it's not a botched neuter. Maybe he chewed himself there because he couldn't reach the incision? Or he cut himself on something? I've seen bites that looked similar but I suppose any puncture wound could open up like that. Nasty. But I'm glad he got him to the vet right away and had that taken care of.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittypet Kittypet ...I'm so glad your friend got his cat in so quickly to the Vet.
And thanks for the update.

Your thread reminds me of a very old one, where the cat had an infection at the neuter site, (and like di and bob di and bob mentioned in their first post), ...it formed an abscess and opened up.
Also with graphic photos, but no spoilers.
So it's really difficult to tell if an infection caused the original incision to open up.

(My male cat was only 5.5 months, and actually had no stitches placed on the scrotal sacs, as did a previous cat,...so not sure if all Vets place stitches in that area to close up the surgical slits.)

All the fastest healing vibes sent to your friend's cat.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sabin is gorgeous, and I'm thrilled that he will be fine! Don't be a stranger!

cat nap cat nap , GOOD GRIEF! I'm so glad our friend Sabin's caring new daddy got him in to the vet in time to avoid something like this!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Sabin is gorgeous, and I'm thrilled that he will be fine! Don't be a stranger!

cat nap cat nap , GOOD GRIEF! I'm so glad our friend Sabin's caring new daddy got him in to the vet in time to avoid something like this!
Yes, I totally agree with you Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 ...Sabin is gorgeous and so lucky that his new dad noticed and took him to the Vet.
That's not where the neuter incision is, so I agree it's not a botched neuter. Maybe he chewed himself there because he couldn't reach the incision? Or he cut himself on something? I've seen bites that looked similar but I suppose any puncture wound could open up like that. Nasty. But I'm glad he got him to the vet right away and had that taken care of.
The thing is, that W Willowy 's post from above is spot on, for noticing that the 'opened wound' is not at the scrotal sac sites.
The neuter incisions should have been between the anus and penis, where the original testicles would have been.
But Sabin's open wound is between the penis and belly, ...which is strange.
(I only noticed the upside down photo, after Willowy posted the observation.)

Anyhow, it's still great that his new dad took him in, to be able to heal well.