Postal Food Drive This Saturday

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't forget to fill a bag with non-perishable food and place it by your mailbox this Saturday. It might be better to use a plastic bag to keep out critters and to keep the food dry.

There are so many people who depend on food banks for food. Some of them are our fellow members of TCS. Let's give them a hand.

Besides, it's a good time to clean out the pantry!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will if I can get to a grocery store. This is the first I have heard about it. I follow this womens story on You Tube that goes to a food bank. It is interesting.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is the first I have heard about it.

Really? The USPS usually includes a little post-card sized "Stamp Out Hunger" flyer with everyone's mail starting a few weeks head of the food drive. There's more info here: Stamp Out Hunger food drive

You can always donate to a local food pantry / food bank, too :agree:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've heard of it but we didn't get any postcard this year. Thanks for the reminder.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really? The USPS usually includes a little post-card sized "Stamp Out Hunger" flyer with everyone's mail starting a few weeks head of the food drive. There's more info here: Stamp Out Hunger food drive

When I first moved to this house we use to get a post card but we have't in a long time. I think I will just donate to a local food bank. It's important that people get food.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Good reminder. :clap2: I have my filled bag by the front door to put out tomorrow.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My office isn't doing it this year (it's organized by the city carriers' union, so it's optional for rural offices), but it's in the newspaper so a lot of people still leave something.

A reminder---no expired food! Food banks aren't allowed to take expired items for legal reasons.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all letter carriers participate in this. If you haven't received a postcard, check to see if your post office and letter carrier are participating. Here's the FAQ:

https://www.nalc.org/community-service/food-drive/frequently-asked-questions

Does every letter carrier take part in the Food Drive? As much as we would like every letter carrier to take part—and a sizable majority of them do—some letter carriers as well as some post offices opt not to take part in the national Food Drive, for a variety of reasons. Note that letter carrier participation in the Food Drive is strictly voluntary. Want to make sure? Click here to find the phone number for your local post office.

How do I know whether my local letter carrier or post office is taking part in the Food Drive? Just call your local post office and ask to speak to your local food drive person.​

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise

We got the card, but it was just delivered this week. I don't know why they were late. That's why I posted this. People really need everything we can give.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I received my card and a little blue bag today. I will fill the blue bag plus a couple grocery store bags and put them out tomorrow. I also got the name of the local food bank that I am going to send a check to. I know people need the food.