Post Your Recipes! (with Pics!)

Mailmans_Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why would this be a bad thing?
Rosemary and lemon are often used as cat deterrents. I just checked and neither is toxic. Xylitol is highly toxic in dogs, causing issues with blood sugar. A 2018 study of 6 cats found it is not toxic to cats, but a sample size of six doesn't present conclusive results. As an anecdote, I gave my cats krill oil with xylitol from time to time until I knew about its issue with dogs. One always got diarrhea after the xylitol-laced krill oil, the other was never bothered. Was it the xylitol or the krill? We use a pure fish oil now (sardine/anchovy) and there's no diarrhea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Rosemary and lemon are often used as cat deterrents. I just checked and neither is toxic. Xylitol is highly toxic in dogs, causing issues with blood sugar. A 2018 study of 6 cats found it is not toxic to cats, but a sample size of six doesn't present conclusive results. As an anecdote, I gave my cats krill oil with xylitol from time to time until I knew about its issue with dogs. One always got diarrhea after the xylitol-laced krill oil, the other was never bothered. Was it the xylitol or the krill? We use a pure fish oil now (sardine/anchovy) and there's no diarrhea.
Oh I completely misinterpreted your post. I thought you were saying that it would be bad if it were 100% fish. :doh:
Yes, what you're saying makes sense, sorry.

marz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought it might be nice to have an ongoing thread where members who make their own homemade raw can post the recipes they’re using. It would be a nice way to exchange recipes with different proteins and also a nice resource for people new to homemade. Also post some pics if you have them!

This is the recipe I’m using now (lots of credit goes to mschauer for helping me with this recipe). I’m only doing the one kind of protein but am interested in learning about other recipes from people using non-poultry meats.

1 cup water
47 oz boneless skinless turkey thighs
6 oz turkey gizzards
10.5 oz turkey hearts
6 oz turkey liver
4 egg yolks
13g eggshell powder
3g taurine
8.4g lite salt
4000mg fish oil
25mg B-50 vitamin
5mg chelated manganese
200IU Vitamin E

Here it is in all its glory. I don’t grind the gizzards and some of the thighs cause my cats like chewing the chunks.

View attachment 299801

And I got these really cute stackable baby freezer containers that I store it in. :)

View attachment 299800'
I'm reluctant to make 100% raw. Does this recipe work well cooked? I'm roasting plain, unseasoned chicken thighs & was going to do it that way.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
My recipes are intended for rotation. I mention this, because technically they are not 100% balanced on their own, though the closest might be the chicken blends. I alternate chicken blends every other day with the other meat blends.

That being said, these are my blends (grinds)
Add 3.5 TBSP Psyllium to each batch
I feed these to both cats and dogs

7 lb. Chicken, whole fryers, including bones
1 lb. Heart (bf/pk)
1 lb. Liver (bf/pk)
1 lb egg slurry (approx 10 eggs, cooked whites, raw yolks)

8 lb Pork shoulder, trimmed
1 lb kidney (bf/pk)
1 lb egg slurry

8 lb Beef (usually round)
1 lb pk melt
1 lb egg slurry

8 lb Lamb, trimmed
1 lb pk brains
1 lb egg slurry

My cats won’t touch fish for some reason. 🤷🏻‍♀️

marz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are there any cooked meat recipes people recommend? I had a not so good experience with packaged raw foods some years back and am reluctant to retry or make my own raw food but am fully willing to start with cooked. Any recipes out there in this wonderful community?

wrenka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are there any cooked meat recipes people recommend? I had a not so good experience with packaged raw foods some years back and am reluctant to retry or make my own raw food but am fully willing to start with cooked. Any recipes out there in this wonderful community?
May not be helpful, but this webpage has some cooked + raw recipes and info!

tavery313

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a omega 3 replacement. I found an article that recommends avoiding fish based oil if your cat has fish allergies. Fish Allergy in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

The replacement I found is algae capsules. They're not as good and might take some extra but it's better than nothing.
I was going to ask about a replacement for fish oil. My son is allergic to fish. So we don't feed our cat food with fish. Do you have a name of the supplement you use?