Post Urinary Obstruction Question.

MittenMeg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Raiden recently had a trip to the ER after a complete urinary obstruction. The urinalysis showed only a mild UTI, however, this was after the catheter was placed. The vet is unsure if the infection was pre-obstruction or post-obstruction acquired from the cath. Raiden has been doing well at home; Eating his MOIST only (new) diet and peeing about ping-pong ball sized amounts in the litter box about ever 2-3 hours. He's a little sore and is taking Buprenorphine and Gabapentin (both pain), Clavamox (antibiotic), and Prazosin (urethral spasms). He moans a little when the pain meds are finishing up at 8-12 hours (usually if he's stretching or jumping off the counter). The vet said as long as he's peeing and not showing any signs of straining he's fine. My question for people who have either had furry friends on drugs or urinary obstruction is that he's peeing/dribbling in his sleep. I keep pads under him because of this but he keeps just slowly leaking urine out onto the floor, bed, and even the litter box after he pees. He's showing no signs of a blockage but I'm concerned about the dribbling. I asked the vet and they said it's normal but to keep an eye on him. Anyone else have experiences with this?

Thank you.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no experience, just wanted to say i will keep your guy in my thoughts. That all is well, and he will have a speedy recovery! Im sure others with experience will come in on this. I am sending him my best wishes, that he is much better soon. And hugs for Raiden! :grouphug:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Raiden recently had a trip to the ER after a complete urinary obstruction. The urinalysis showed only a mild UTI, however, this was after the catheter was placed. The vet is unsure if the infection was pre-obstruction or post-obstruction acquired from the cath. Raiden has been doing well at home; Eating his MOIST only (new) diet and peeing about ping-pong ball sized amounts in the litter box about ever 2-3 hours. He's a little sore and is taking Buprenorphine and Gabapentin (both pain), Clavamox (antibiotic), and Prazosin (urethral spasms). He moans a little when the pain meds are finishing up at 8-12 hours (usually if he's stretching or jumping off the counter). The vet said as long as he's peeing and not showing any signs of straining he's fine. My question for people who have either had furry friends on drugs or urinary obstruction is that he's peeing/dribbling in his sleep. I keep pads under him because of this but he keeps just slowly leaking urine out onto the floor, bed, and even the litter box after he pees. He's showing no signs of a blockage but I'm concerned about the dribbling. I asked the vet and they said it's normal but to keep an eye on him. Anyone else have experiences with this?

Thank you.
I would call your vet on this one.
We had a guy....male cat... get completely, 100% blocked.
Of course this happened on a holiday, so it was an extra emergency visit charge (:p)
I do not recall any leaking or dribbling in his sleep. But I do recall inappropriate elimination by the teaspoon full after his hospitalization by our fantastic vets. Apparently, this was somewhat normal as he got over the cath and fluids, and his urethra/bladder started to "work" again.
I am ashamed to admit I saw him hop on a dog bed and as he lifted his tail and peed a few drops, I shouted. :disappointed: Bad Bruce.
From this experience, I don't "recall" any dribbling in his sleep but it's easy to miss sometimes.
I'm no expert, but urinary issues in cats are nothing to screw with IME and if you're unsure, call your vet in the morning, leave a message with the receptionist or technician to leave the vet a note. They should call you back that day (and keep your phone handy!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MittenMeg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would call your vet on this one.
We had a guy....male cat... get completely, 100% blocked.
Of course this happened on a holiday, so it was an extra emergency visit charge (:p)
I do not recall any leaking or dribbling in his sleep. But I do recall inappropriate elimination by the teaspoon full after his hospitalization by our fantastic vets. Apparently, this was somewhat normal as he got over the cath and fluids, and his urethra/bladder started to "work" again.
I am ashamed to admit I saw him hop on a dog bed and as he lifted his tail and peed a few drops, I shouted. :disappointed: Bad Bruce.
From this experience, I don't "recall" any dribbling in his sleep but it's easy to miss sometimes.
I'm no expert, but urinary issues in cats are nothing to screw with IME and if you're unsure, call your vet in the morning, leave a message with the receptionist or technician to leave the vet a note. They should call you back that day (and keep your phone handy!)
I called my vet today and they said it was normal but to just make sure he's making urine. He just came home on Sunday afternoon so you're right that his bladder might just be getting used to working again. I've also noticed it's when he's in a deep sleep (after the drugs are given).

MittenMeg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I called my vet today and they said it was normal but to just make sure he's making urine. He just came home on Sunday afternoon so you're right that his bladder might just be getting used to working again. I've also noticed it's when he's in a deep sleep (after the drugs are given).
Forgot to add: it is about a teaspoon amount.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's dribbling in sleep, he cannot help this.
If it continues, yes consult the vet!!
Glad to hear he's at least peeing a bit, even if it's an inconvenience.
I'd rather have them pee a bit during sleep after this situation vs. straining and producing nothing!

MittenMeg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he's dribbling in sleep, he cannot help this.
If it continues, yes consult the vet!!
Glad to hear he's at least peeing a bit, even if it's an inconvenience.
I'd rather have them pee a bit during sleep after this situation vs. straining and producing nothing!
Yes, he's even peeing in the litter box. He was just playing with his favorite piece of paper (crumpled up) and he dribbled on the pet pads. Looks like it's not intentional so at least he's peeing. He goes to my regular vet on Friday. The vet before was the ER vet... 4th of July of course so I understand your probable vet bill...:disappointed:

Fluffyfatty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I’m sorry if this is late but can I ask how is your cat doing? My cat is going through the same after his first cath. Did the dribbling eventually clear up for your cat? And has he had any issues after?