Post surgery incision

CoryTheCatMan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good evening,

I have never owned a cat until recently and I just got her spayed this past Friday The 23rd and was a little concerned about how her incision is healing. I’ve never cared for a post op animal so I don’t really know what to be looking for beyond the print out the vet gave me but it has no visuals for how the incision should be healing. I can’t really tell if it’s a scab or blood or a ripped incision. All the photos I’ve found on google I tried to use as reference showed severe tears so they weren’t much help to me. My cat has been fine otherwise. No issues eating or drinking, going to the bathroom, and she’s been very cuddly.
Any insight from the cat community would be very helpful.
I never expected I’d care about a cat as much as I care about my Cleo but she is literally my baby and I just want to make sure she’s okay and doesn’t need a trip back to the vet tonight just incase.

Thank you,
Cory the Cat Man

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CoryTheCatMan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was planning on giving him a call in the morning to ask for his email address to do that! The office closed before I checked the incision when I got home. That’s why I turned here for tonight while I wait. As I said, she’s acting fine and compared to the pictures I saw on Google, hers doesn’t look bad. It just looks a little red like you said compared to when I first brought her home but I can’t tell if it’s from oozing the vet told me may happen that had dried, or its a scab over a torn stitch, or if it’s just beginning to scab up already. I just wanted to make sure my little space monkey is doing okay and doesn’t need an emergency trip (which I don’t particularly think she does, but better safe than sorry especially when it’s pertaining one of your babies)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bless your heart for being so observant :)

I'm not a vet but I think that unless it changes quite distinctly (visible oozing, spreading redness), she should be ok until morning.

CoryTheCatMan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It LOOKS like dried serum, which can have a pinkish tinge to it around surgical sites. Do call him, and do let us know what he says! We'll fret.
That’s what I was thinking but as I said, never taken care of a post-op kitty before so I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t something else. I will keep everyone updated once I talk to the vet tomorrow!

CoryTheCatMan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update so far this morning:
Called the vets office and got their email. Sent the picture from last night with some new ones I took this morning. This morning, her incision looks a bit better. I can now more so tell it’s scabbing up, yet there’s a bit more ooze this morning than last night. Sent those around 8am and it’s now 1035. Will update again once I hear back

CoryTheCatMan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Final update:
Vet just emailed me back and said everything looks like it’s healing well as of now! Mamanyt1953 was right, a little dried serum but that’s normal in the scabbing process.
Thank you all for helping me to ease my mind last night!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was offline for a couple of days, and how lovely to come back to good news! ENJOY YOUR CAT! You got this!