Post surgery eating

Destinyyymarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all I just wanted to post about a little miracle I discovered with my cat. I was finding it difficult for my 6 month old to eat because of his cone he had to wear. I tried everything. Holding it up for him changing his bowls etc but I wanted to post about something I found that worked very well and it’s tubed cat food 😂. Sounds weird to me but he absolutely loves it and it’s so easy for him to be able to eat with his cone. If anyone has any advice on how to get him to take his liquid medicines I’m all ears but it’ll have to be creative because I’ve tried a dozen things.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Destinyyymarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have u tried snipping end off the packet, one with strongest smell,/flavour, mixing in meds, refilling tube? alternatively, syringe feed crushed/disolved meds ? You want to be sure they get in there
He definitely eats pills no problem! I’ve tried the mixing of the food with the liquids but he caught on rather quickly 😭 I can try it again tho! It’s been a few months

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So clever when they catch on to our tricks, huh? Glad to see you found something that works! May I ask - where did you buy these tube of food?

Also - depending on the reason for needing a cone, there are a couple other varieties of cones out there that are more comfy. I got something like this (EZ Soft™ Collar | KONG Company) when I had to cone my cat because she hated the plastic one so much. Also - she was very good at escaping it!

If your cat hates the hard plastic, too, could be a good purchase depending how long he needs the cone. My cat had a corneal ulcer and she wore a cone for 4-6 weeks while it healed so it was definitely worthwhile for us. We now have a couple in case she ever needs on again!

Best wishes for you and your adorable kitty!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if those Delectables are nutritionally complete food or simply treats. Check if the label has an AAFCO statement of nutritional completeness or alternatively, "for supplemental use only." You could get a pastry bag and fill that with cat food and then squirt that into his mouth much the same way. Or Tiki Cat makes Velvet Mousse pouch foods that are nutritionally complete and you could squirt into his mouth the same way.

You might be able to get his liquid meds compounded into another form like chews or transdermal. Depending on how much liquid, you might also be able to mix with a little cream cheese and poke that into his mouth with your finger. The tackiness of the cream cheese will insure that he won't be able to spit it out.

Destinyyymarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So clever when they catch on to our tricks, huh? Glad to see you found something that works! May I ask - where did you buy these tube of food?

Also - depending on the reason for needing a cone, there are a couple other varieties of cones out there that are more comfy. I got something like this (EZ Soft™ Collar | KONG Company) when I had to cone my cat because she hated the plastic one so much. Also - she was very good at escaping it!

If your cat hates the hard plastic, too, could be a good purchase depending how long he needs the cone. My cat had a corneal ulcer and she wore a cone for 4-6 weeks while it healed so it was definitely worthwhile for us. We now have a couple in case she ever needs on again!

Best wishes for you and your adorable kitty!
I got the ones pictured at a local grocery store but I ran out and just bough the tikis! We’ll see how he likes those. And thanks for the advice on the cone he only has to wear it for a few days and then I comes off!!

Destinyyymarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if those Delectables are nutritionally complete food or simply treats. Check if the label has an AAFCO statement of nutritional completeness or alternatively, "for supplemental use only." You could get a pastry bag and fill that with cat food and then squirt that into his mouth much the same way. Or Tiki Cat makes Velvet Mousse pouch foods that are nutritionally complete and you could squirt into his mouth the same way.

You might be able to get his liquid meds compounded into another form like chews or transdermal. Depending on how much liquid, you might also be able to mix with a little cream cheese and poke that into his mouth with your finger. The tackiness of the cream cheese will insure that he won't be able to spit it out.
just actually bought some tiki pouches at Petco that are in a tube!! We’ll see if he likes them! I’m sure he will!! They are definitely just treats and not a meal but it got his appetite going after surgery.
Cream cheese is a great idea! I’ll try that as well. The only thing I’ve ever seen my cat turn is nose to is that medicine.

Destinyyymarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So in reply to some of the advice I was given about liquid meds I finally (knock on wood) have tricked my cat. I take his tiki meat tube meat thing and empty it and split the treat into two. On one half I put all his meds and mix it together then I pick it all back up with the syringe and put it back into the tube. Then I top it off with the original treat and it tricks him! He definitely notices the change and looks around, then he finishes off the treat. He was catching on but I’m glad to finally have outsmarted him! Thank you all for the help and the advice.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, clever! Well done! I hope your kitty recovers from surgery well :)