Post Spine Injury- Bathing Question!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ElleRiggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is sweet Nala. Exposing her tum and red booty. She's pulling her legs up and curling her toes! Skin is still pretty red with scald but at least it's clean and dry.

ElleRiggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet/PT consult could not have gone better! He was incredibly kind to both myself and Nala. Did a ton of testing in office- she has a clean health bill (still going to finish out the anitb's and steroids) and he's very hopeful about her recovery. She made motions with her hind legs like she wanted to walk and we've worked on that this weekend. He's very educated as a vet surgeon and rehab therapist.
As cute as her little scooting around the house is, he said to stop her from that as much as possible so that she doesn't think that moving around like that is ok. She's officially desperate to be out of the cage- I've let her be on the couch with me but she's hard to keep there (good sign I'm thinking).
She starts PT tomorrow. 3 x wk for the next 2 wks. They keep her all day and are doing ESTIM, strengthening/treadmill, and then microcurrent treatment (which is very cool- we do that with our patients and I didn't know it could be done with animals; worth looking at if you're curious).
We're going to push her as much as she'll let us and should know at the end of these 2 weeks if we'll need any home modifications. PT tech very kind and educated as well. Positive vibes!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vet/PT consult could not have gone better! He was incredibly kind to both myself and Nala. Did a ton of testing in office- she has a clean health bill (still going to finish out the anitb's and steroids) and he's very hopeful about her recovery. She made motions with her hind legs like she wanted to walk and we've worked on that this weekend. He's very educated as a vet surgeon and rehab therapist.
As cute as her little scooting around the house is, he said to stop her from that as much as possible so that she doesn't think that moving around like that is ok. She's officially desperate to be out of the cage- I've let her be on the couch with me but she's hard to keep there (good sign I'm thinking).
She starts PT tomorrow. 3 x wk for the next 2 wks. They keep her all day and are doing ESTIM, strengthening/treadmill, and then microcurrent treatment (which is very cool- we do that with our patients and I didn't know it could be done with animals; worth looking at if you're curious).
We're going to push her as much as she'll let us and should know at the end of these 2 weeks if we'll need any home modifications. PT tech very kind and educated as well. Positive vibes!
Good news! :clap: :cheerleader:
Good luck tomorrow!

(Did you perchance ask that vet about the Animax ointment as a possiblity for Nala?)

:hugs: :hugs: :goldstar:

ElleRiggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wonderful news!! I am so glad you found a good vet, that is so important. I wanted to share an inspirational thread with. It has good ideas and suggestions along with names of people that are knowledgeable in dealing with this type of situation Kitten who can't move
Thank you for this link! I look forward to reading through it tonight. Had a great week with PT for the girl, but could definitely use more suggestions and advice. Looks like a great resource.

ElleRiggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news! :clap: :cheerleader:
Good luck tomorrow!

(Did you perchance ask that vet about the Animax ointment as a possiblity for Nala?)

:hugs: :hugs: :goldstar:
I asked our PT vet about the diaper cream and what he suggested, but she's been doing so well cleaning herself with the sanitary shave that he said she might not need cream going forward barring a flare up. He did say that Animax was his recommendation before I even brought the brand up!
Thank you for the well wishes... she's doing great!! Even decided to be playful and "bunny kicked" me the other night. I'll take some scratches if it means she's making strides.

ElleRiggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Thanks for checking in! Nala is blowing everyone away with her progress. Her PT and vet at the specialty clinic are so dedicated to her care. We are over the moon. She is walking on her own (like a little drunk kitty), which we didn't really expect and are all amazed with. She still scoots some so we're keeping the sanitary shave as she continues to need a little help cleaning back there. Bowel and bladder control are back in action, but until we feel confident in her using a litter box independently she's going to use the washable "potty palate" that I made her. We currently have the soft, blue cone of shame for a hot spot that came up from the scooting on her little fat roll (she's tubby) and keeping her from picking at it has been a challenge. Her progress has not plateaued in the least so we're keeping her in rehab until further notice.
We love all of you for your support!
:happycat::kneading::lovecat3: