Post Spay Surgrey

yasmincittaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten puma, who is 8 months old has recently had her spay surgery (on the 4th of this month) the vet said I should take off her e-collar once her incision was flat, I checked last night and it was completely flat the only thing left was her skin glue so I took off her e-collar. Obviously she was happy about it and so was I, but this morning when I looked at her tummy her incision was bright red! I'm so worried I might have jumped the gun on taking off her e-collar. I put her e-collar back on but I'm scared she might have injured her incision causing it not to heal properly! I'll add a picture of how her stomach looks now.
Any advice?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's very difficult to tell from that photo. However, it's been over two weeks from her surgery so it is highly unlikely she still needs the collar. Many people don't use them at all.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She was probably licking at it quite a bit since she could finally reach it. It sounds like it's healed up alright though, and should have by now. I'd keep an eye on her to see she doesn't scratch or lick it too much and see if it gets worse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yasmincittaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would you recommend taking off the cone then?

yasmincittaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

She was probably licking at it quite a bit since she could finally reach it. It sounds like it's healed up alright though, and should have by now. I'd keep an eye on her to see she doesn't scratch or lick it too much and see if it gets worse.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Her incision looks great!  I'd take the cone off and let her do her thing.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We can't see the redness in this photo; you can post another photo if you want input. Definitely take the cone off.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't notice any redness in this picture. Some redness is to be expected because of the procedure.  As long as it's not flaming red or angry looking and not warm to the touch, she should be okay.  From what I see in the pic you posted, it looks great.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't notice any redness in this picture. Some redness is to be expected because of the procedure.  As long as it's not flaming red or angry looking and not warm to the touch, she should be okay.  From what I see in the pic you posted, it looks great.
:yeah:
I agree, and would take off her cone.

yasmincittaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I took off the cone like you guys said and her wound is all healed now! It healed beautifully! But I do have one last question how long after the surgery can I wait to give her a bath?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the wound is healed you should be able to give her a bath.  Is there a reason that you think she needs one?  Most cats are pretty self sufficient in the bath department. :)

yasmincittaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't really like to take her a bath just because I feel like it's a bit unnatural for them but her fur is starting to smell alittle bad