Post Spay Surgery Lump

shannon3813

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I adopted a new fur baby named Dobby, and the next day she got spayed. It was about 9 days ago. About 3 days after surgery she developed a lump on her incision site. When we first brought her home she didnt eat until the second day, and since then shes eating and drinking and acting very normal. Is this lump normal? Should I take her to the vet?

The shelter said she is about 3 years old. She looks younger than that though.

Attachments

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That looks like a seroma, which is a pocket of fluid that can develop after surgery. My girl developed one too.

Call the vet and see if they suggest bringing her in or waiting to see if it goes down on its own. My vet drained the seroma (as part of a free follow-up exam, which many vets provide), but it didn't disappear completely for a couple of weeks. We used hot compresses to help it along.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some lumpiness at the spay site is normal and usually resolves. It is from the internal stitches being absorbed. The site looks good. If there was a problem there would be drainage and the site would be very red and hot to the touch.

Baya08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has a lump exactly this size! What did it turn out to be?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you post a picture of it? I wouldn't go off of what the OP's cats lump was. It can be very different things despite looking similar. A hard lump there is normal. So post yours and we can see what we think.

Baya08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you post a picture of it? I wouldn't go off of what the OP's cats lump was. It can be very different things despite looking similar. A hard lump there is normal. So post yours and we can see what we think.
Actually i just got home from the vet,i had to take her in because her lump just didn’t feel right and it turned out to be a fat hernia,she is having surgery right now and my heart is shattering..if you know anything about such situation please help i need all the reassurance i could get..

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that happens, it will be fine. There was just a space there and some fat came through the hole. Some people don't have it surgically repaired and eventually other things will start to come out...to put it lightly... so you are doing the right thing! It is more common than you think.

Baya08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh that happens, it will be fine. There was just a space there and some fat came through the hole. Some people don't have it surgically repaired and eventually other things will start to come out...to put it lightly... so you are doing the right thing! It is more common than you think.
The vet just called and said it was done and all is well for now,it calms me to know that it’s a common thing thank you ❤

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So happy for your little girl !! Did it take her longer to heal??
Yes, it took a couple weeks longer, and I kept her e-collar on for most of that time (I got one with a cloth neck and a clear section around the face so that she was more comfortable). She developed a seroma (pocket of fluid) in the same area, so I put a warm compress on it for about a week, and it eventually went down.

Baya08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it took a couple weeks longer, and I kept her e-collar on for most of that time (I got one with a cloth neck and a clear section around the face so that she was more comfortable). She developed a seroma (pocket of fluid) in the same area, so I put a warm compress on it for about a week, and it eventually went down.
Will take that into consideration,thank you!

Kittie_0413

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was going to make a similar post because my kittens were spayed on Sunday 9/15 and one of them has a lump under the incision.

71AC610A-6733-4267-951E-44D2ACDF912E.jpeg

These were taking on Tuesday evening. Tuesday morning there was no swelling though. So I’m not sure what happened within a few hrs

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was going to make a similar post because my kittens were spayed on Sunday 9/15 and one of them has a lump under the incision.

View attachment 300750

These were taking on Tuesday evening. Tuesday morning there was no swelling though. So I’m not sure what happened within a few hrs
Probably a seroma (pocket of fluid under incision site) that went down on its own.

Baya08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

View attachment 300750

It could be just a seroma but if it reappears and seems to be bigger do call a vet just to be safe