post spay rough housing? is it ok?

zazi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hi.

my kitten pixie was just spayed. now I have had all my cats spayed but the problem is that this time, i am going on a short trip (10 days) and leaving her and two other cats at home. My neighbour is coming to play with them every day and do the dailies but i'm a little concerned about this:

on the sheet that the vet gave us when we picked her up it said to keep her quiet for about two weeks!
I have no idea what they will get up to while i am away....
She's already on day 4 post spay. When i leave it will be 7 days post operation.....

Will she be okay? she tends to rough house a lot with one of the other cats,...

I;ve never had such strict warnings as to activity restrictions before and am just wondering if anyone can tell me if it's ok for her to race around and wrestle on from day 7 onwards. She's been doing it anyway but at least i am here to sort of watch in case anything goes wrong....

she's also in a collar so she can't lick....

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by zazi

hi.

my kitten pixie was just spayed. now I have had all my cats spayed but the problem is that this time, i am going on a short trip (10 days) and leaving her and two other cats at home. My neighbour is coming to play with them every day and do the dailies but i'm a little concerned about this:

on the sheet that the vet gave us when we picked her up it said to keep her quiet for about two weeks!
I have no idea what they will get up to while i am away....
She's already on day 4 post spay. When i leave it will be 7 days post operation.....

Will she be okay? she tends to rough house a lot with one of the other cats,...

I;ve never had such strict warnings as to activity restrictions before and am just wondering if anyone can tell me if it's ok for her to race around and wrestle on from day 7 onwards. She's been doing it anyway but at least i am here to sort of watch in case anything goes wrong....

she's also in a collar so she can't lick....
Zazi...I would be concerned that rough-housing with the other cats could open her stitches and cause an infection. I would recommend keeping her rough-housing and running around to a minimum.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zazi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That was my concern too..... but i can't do that if i am not here.

All in all she has been pretty quiet since the spay but today she had a bit of rumble around .... the collar has slowed her down a little but not much.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep her seperate from the other cats.If she gets to rough, then a stitch can come open and lead to BAD problems.Maybe keep her in a bedroom away from your other furbabies.

zazi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For how long?

I can't leave her in the bedroom for the whole ten days ....
she'll be miserable...

URGH.....

this is so distressing....

maybe just till day 10....?

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure, but I would think for atleast until day 10.Can you call your Vet and ask about it?I wouldn't want to give you out false info.
I've only had one female cat spayed,.She(Blaze) was an only cat at the time.I got Neela when she was I think 3 days post spay.She and Blaze weren't allowed to meet for the first 2 weeks that I had her.....due to slow introductions.
Lilly and Corwin go in to be fixed on Wed. so this will be a MAJOR concern of mine also............rough playing as they do that ALL the time.

zazi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well i will call the vet....
funny thing is i got conflicting info from them last time....

I'm also going to ask about tape
if i can tape over the area with that sticky stuff they usually use for wounds and bandages that will help significantly....

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thought, do you have a large dog crate?Maybe you could put her in it in the same room as your other furbabies are.That way she would be able to see and hear them,but not rough house with them.

zazi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i DO have one!

hmmmm

i have one that is abot 3ft x 4ft

maybe i can work something out where she spends day time in the crate and night time in the room.....

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She would do fine in the crate.As long as you put a litter box,food,and water in there for her.
maybe i can work something out where she spends day time in the crate and night time in the room.....
That sounds like a good plan too.Good luck and have a safe trip.
Also, if you can put a shirt in there for her to lay on that you've worn and has your scent on it, that may help keep her from being lonely.

zazi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
she hates the crate.... i did put her in the first few days if i went out for a while and i always would hear this pitiful miiiiiieeeeew miiiiiiiiiiiuuuuuuueeew as soon as i got to the door.

Lets see what the vet says.... and i'll figure out the crate situation before i go.....

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe start out slow with the crate.Like put a YUMMY treat in there for her.Show her the treat,while leaving the crate door open.Do this a couple of times a day so she gets used to the crate, and will associate the crate with only good things.That's how I got mine used to their carriers.
Maybe a special toy for ONLY while she is in the crate would help too.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever you find that works, PLEASE share it with me!! Because I will be going through this myself next week and I DON'T have a dog crate.But, I am a stay at home Mom,so I can keep an eye on all 3 of them.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep her in a seperate room, she may not be too happy with that but it's better than having the wound open up.