Post Spay Hernia (please Help!)

Baya08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello everyone! this is my first time here and i hope to find the help i’m looking for..
I spayed my 4 year old cat last saturday and all went well with the surgery,she started eating drinking and using the litter box normally about two days later and just generally acted like the sweet cuddley cat she always has been,on the fourth day i noticed a lump right under her incision and i tried to convince myself it was probably just a suture reaction since she was acting fine and it didn’t hurt her at all and the incision itself was healing beautifuly,the next day it looked a little bigger and that’s when i started getting concerned so i called the vet and he told me to bring her in and it turned out to be a hernia,some fat slipped through her abdominal wall and created that bulge,she is having surgery right now to get it fixed and will stay at the vet till saturday morning for monitoring.
The vet said she might have been too active and broke a stitch or two but she wasn’t active at all,i kept her in my room the whole time and i stayed with her,she only jumped on my bed to sleep with me and its not high at all.
If anyone experienced this please tell me how did it go? How was the healing? I’m DYING of stress i have never been so scared in my life!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, TAKE A DEEP BREATH! I know you are terrified, but, while this isn't normal, neither is it rare. It does happen, and the fix is pretty easy. He's right to keep her for a day or two, just to make sure that the site begins to heal with NO disturbance. And for some cats (not all, but some), even jumping on and off a bed, and landing wrong, could do this. The odds are VERY, VERY high that she will be just fine.

Almost every cat I have ever heard of who had this repair did well. Healing took a little extra time, but overall, they did well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Baya08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First, TAKE A DEEP BREATH! I know you are terrified, but, while this isn't normal, neither is it rare. It does happen, and the fix is pretty easy. He's right to keep her for a day or two, just to make sure that the site begins to heal with NO disturbance. And for some cats (not all, but some), even jumping on and off a bed, and landing wrong, could do this. The odds are VERY, VERY high that she will be just fine.

Almost every cat I have ever heard of who had this repair did well. Healing took a little extra time, but overall, they did well.
Vet called a while ago and said that the repair went well and she is recovering from the anesthesic,I’m trying my best to relax but it’s very hard because she is like a daughter to me and i’m very attached to her so needless to say,the fact that she is staying there alone makes me feel extremely bad any idea how long it might take for her to heal please? The vet said it was a small opening and he didn’t need to remove all the skin stitches...thank you so much for taking the time to reply ❤

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I almost hope he keeps her until Saturday, since she is one of those cats who can break stitches fairly easily! THAT SAID...my Hekitty is my baby girl, so I know what you are talking about. And I know that your house feels like the heart has gone right out of it while she is away. But...as hard as it is, she took the second surgery like a little champ, and will be home and being spoiled rotten in a short time.

Baya08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*Update*

Baya is home and recovering in her room (a much smaller room than mine with only her litter box,bed,food/water bowls) so her movements are alot more restricted than the first time,only problem i have is when i give her the antibiotic the vet prescribed,she basically does a little jump to try and get away from me and i’m scared that such sudden movement can tear her inner stitches AGAIN (i know i might be overreacting lol but you can never be too careful) that said...are such movements harmful? What can i do to make her stay still while i give her the medicine and avoid her moving too much? Any hacks for that?? Keep in mind that she spent the last 48 hours in a cage unable to do such movements so i hope it was enough for her tiny hernia incision to hold up a little bit..

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should probably scruff her and wrap her in a small towel first to keep her contained so you can give her the meds without her bouncing around and trying to escape.

Baya08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should probably scruff her and wrap her in a small towel first to keep her contained so you can give her the meds without her bouncing around and trying to escape.
Unfortuntly that also didn’t work :( she manages to escape every single time and i can’t force her or i’ll hurt her stitches :ohwell: at this point i’m just hoping the little jumps she does won’t affect the surgery site and i’m the one who is being too protective

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is wrapped like a burrito and scruffed how does she escape unless you are letting her go?

Baya08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she is wrapped like a burrito and scruffed how does she escape unless you are letting her go?
She somehow slides out of the towel (i do wrap her tightly) and like i said,there is no way i could use too much force,afterall she just had surgery...if i could that method would definitely work