Post Pu Surgery

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is he doing now?
Unfortunately we’ve had to come to the emergency vet as Yuri blocked again :( I think he’ll be having the revision surgery tomorrow, trying to be optimistic about it.
I'm so sorry to hear this! It's never easy to put the poor kitties through that experience again, so I understand the stress you're feeling and I'm with you. I can say that in what I've experienced, the second time around was easier on my boy. Mostly due to the fact that the surgery worked successfully, and he no longer was straining/suffering. I sure hope this is the case for you as well. If the surgery goes well (fingers crossed it will!), everything willl be so much easier for Yuri from now on. Do you know if the vet performing this surgery is board certified?

YuriPurri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess the surgery is tomorrow now but sounds like he’s doing well. Yes, the surgeon is board certified.

I'm so sorry to hear this! It's never easy to put the poor kitties through that experience again, so I understand the stress you're feeling and I'm with you. I can say that in what I've experienced, the second time around was easier on my boy. Mostly due to the fact that the surgery worked successfully, and he no longer was straining/suffering. I sure hope this is the case for you as well. If the surgery goes well (fingers crossed it will!), everything willl be so much easier for Yuri from now on. Do you know if the vet performing this surgery is board certified?

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess the surgery is tomorrow now but sounds like he’s doing well. Yes, the surgeon is board certified.
I apologize deeply for my late response on this. How is Yuri's recovery going from the surgery? I hope Yuri is doing well.

YuriPurri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That’s okay, thanks for asking :) the surgery ended up being last Friday evening, everything went well and he seems to be doing good! The recovery is so much better this time. He uses the litter box 1-2 times a day instead of 20+. I hope it’s all uphill from here!

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That’s okay, thanks for asking :) the surgery ended up being last Friday evening, everything went well and he seems to be doing good! The recovery is so much better this time. He uses the litter box 1-2 times a day instead of 20+. I hope it’s all uphill from here!
So so happy to hear this! Fingers crossed all continues to go well for Yuri! :)

ocdana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi... My 2 year old just had the PU surgery last Friday and seems to be doing well. My biggest frustration is trying to keep track of whether he is peeing or not. I've been using yesterday's news litter which is extremely hard to tell if he is peeing or not. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can monitor his pee a more accurately?

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi... My 2 year old just had the PU surgery last Friday and seems to be doing well. My biggest frustration is trying to keep track of whether he is peeing or not. I've been using yesterday's news litter which is extremely hard to tell if he is peeing or not. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can monitor his pee a more accurately?
Hi ocdana,

I'm so happy to hear your kitty is doing well following the surgery. To be honest, the only way I could closely monitor was by being around him all the time (I had to take tons of time off work which I know isn't an option for everyone), and every single time he went to the litter box following him, using a light to see the stream and how much comes out. I essentially did this for months straight, and at night he stayed in the room with us with a litter box so I could hear every time he went. Of course when it did happen that I was at work, I couldn't really monitor as well.

rogue22912

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought paper litter from walmart, it was a light blue color and when it got wet it turned a dark blue color and it would turn into mush. it help me to see how big his pee puddles were and if he did go. I dont remember the name of the litter but I think it was walmarts brand.

ocdana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I did that for the 2 weeks prior to the surgery when he was blocking. My vet thought I was nutty when I came in with tons of little ziplock baggies with the date and time written with all of his little pee balls. His kennel is in our bedroom so I can watch him at night. He seems to go in and out in and out and looks like he is peeing but I can't tell. I'm not sure if he is having problems or just being a brat b/c he is in the kennel. I have been so worried about him that I have lost 5 pounds. I just want him to pee!

ocdana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bought paper litter from walmart, it was a light blue color and when it got wet it turned a dark blue color and it would turn into mush. it help me to see how big his pee puddles were and if he did go. I dont remember the name of the litter but I think it was walmarts brand.

rogue22912

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I noticed when my boy had the pu surgery he would go in and out of the litter box as well I think his urethra is a little bit sore after the surgery and it still hurts a bit to pee so I think that is why he would do it. I kept mine in a kennel to til he was all healed

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I did that for the 2 weeks prior to the surgery when he was blocking. My vet thought I was nutty when I came in with tons of little ziplock baggies with the date and time written with all of his little pee balls. His kennel is in our bedroom so I can watch him at night. He seems to go in and out in and out and looks like he is peeing but I can't tell. I'm not sure if he is having problems or just being a brat b/c he is in the kennel. I have been so worried about him that I have lost 5 pounds. I just want him to pee!
Haha I understand those feelings! It's good to have it all written down though, so you can keep track of the change in their urination.

If you aren't able to see well, grab a flashlight, and get right down to where he is squatting to watch. That's the only way I was able to was to watch the stream output. It was incredibly helpful in knowing if he was straining with only drops coming out or an actual stream.

I understand how stressful it is, it was some of the worst months of my entire life and I'm so sad my situation didn't end with the outcome we wanted, but from the extensive research I've done regarding this surgery, it generally works well for cats and it's great you're monitoring him so closely. :)

Wow, I didn't know that existed. Great idea.

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I noticed when my boy had the pu surgery he would go in and out of the litter box as well I think his urethra is a little bit sore after the surgery and it still hurts a bit to pee so I think that is why he would do it. I kept mine in a kennel to til he was all healed
Yes, it's very common for at first for the cat to use the litter box a little more frequently due to the discomfort down there, etc. But it's incredibly important to make sure it's not straining and to see what is in fact coming out.

ocdana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haha I understand those feelings! It's good to have it all written down though, so you can keep track of the change in their urination.

If you aren't able to see well, grab a flashlight, and get right down to where he is squatting to watch. That's the only way I was able to was to watch the stream output. It was incredibly helpful in knowing if he was straining with only drops coming out or an actual stream.

I understand how stressful it is, it was some of the worst months of my entire life and I'm so sad my situation didn't end with the outcome we wanted, but from the extensive research I've done regarding this surgery, it generally works well for cats and it's great you're monitoring him so closely. :)

Wow, I didn't know that existed. Great idea.
I just found it! It's Hartz clumping paper litter.

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to update this thread with the outcome of my previous cat, PJ, for people dealing with PU surgery themselves and looking for others experiences.

Unfortunately, after PJ's second surgery going well, after about 1.5 months of a great recovery, he re-strictured out of the blue and had to be put down. It was at no fault of ours as we did everything humanly possible to help him out, but unfortunately it is just a possibility when going through this surgery. Especially twice.

I do not post this to sound negative, I am posting it so anyone reading through accurately knows my experience after having posted so thoroughly in the past on here. I only now realized I did not follow up with PJ's outcome.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand you hadn't explained what happened with PJ, but was aware of his passing. I had my own concerns with Tommy and his PU, but my boyfriend said that even if he strictured after the surgery, that we got the extra time with him that we wouldn't have, and that the funds were well spent.
Tom went through it just over two years ago, and he's still here, breaking my things.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:alright: I didn't realize no one followed up with you on this - I usually try to do that whenever I am engrossed in a thread like yours.

I almost feel as if I knew poor PJ's outcome. I think you might have told us of your heartbreaking loss in another thread?

Did you consider posting a homage and tribute to PJ in the Crossing the Bridge section? If/when ever you might be ready... RIP PJ - albeit belated..