Post Neuter....

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone. Dexter got neutered today, we went and picked him up around 4. He seems to be doing fine, aside from being hungry since he hasn't eaten since 10 last night...lol. He has already peed and pooped and is wandering around.

I need some advice on how to stop him from licking at his incision. He has a cone, but refuses to wear it. He slings his head around and I'm scared he will choke himself because he managed to get a front paw under the string holding it. So the cone came off. He constantly wants to lick the area. The vet also said to try and keep him "calm" for the next several days. We will see....

Side note: The vet has his age listed as 11 weeks?? I feel that that is simply not right. For starters, he is already 6 lbs. He also lost his canine teeth about a month ago and chews because of teething. Any input on that would be great too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the articles! Especially the illustrated article. I still stand by Dexter being older, I'm thinking closer to 5 months based on the fact that kitten lose their baby canine teeth between 3.5 and 4 months of age. Interestingly, his retained for a bit (he has 2 fangs on either side!) so that makes me think he was closer to 4 months instead of 3.5. I took a picture of when one fell out and it is dated December 1. As for his weight- he is a little Tuxedo cat, a mixed breed. Not a large breed at all, although he eats like a large breed cat....lol.
Furthermore, we have had him since the beginning of November and he was most assuredly NOT 4 weeks old when I found him.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe post some pics of him, as other members might be able to help determine his age. Plus, well, you can never post too many pics. ;)

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I jacked that up...and I can't figure out how to delete the big photos. Oh well. Enjoy my technology failure!

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
That's the thing...we had no idea how old he was. I found him as a skinny stray begging for food in a parking deck.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really have much to add, but I have to say, those are awesome photos! He seems to have quite the personality! :lol::redheartpump: