Post neuter surgical site

Martian Eye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! Wanted to get others opinions on this. Just had my 5mo cat neutered, and noticed some redness where they shaved the fur, not really near the incision site. Could it be iodine? Razor burn?

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Once I zoomed in, it looks like there's fur there, not bare skin so I'm thinking rather than razor burn it's a stain on his fur from something. How is he acting?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Martian Eye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
Once I zoomed in it looks like there's fur there, not bare skin so I'm thinking rather than razor burn it's a stain on his fur from something. How is he acting?
He is a little hazy, but more annoyed by his e-collar than anything else. Eating and drinking well so far. I don't know how I'm gonna keep him from being too active for the next 2 weeks lol.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Will he accept being in just a room, like your bedroom maybe to try and slow him down a little?

Martian Eye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Will he accept being in just a room, like your bedroom maybe to try and slow him down a little?
Oh no, he is beyond stubborn. Since he's gotten back he hasn't stopped trying to take his collar off.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I dunno, it still looks like a stain on the fur. Can you double check with the vet?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be staining from Betadine or whatever the vet used to disinfect the area as part of surgical prep. You can try gently wiping at the stain with a damp wash cloth to see if it comes off.

Neutered males bounce back quickly. I wouldn't even try to discourage activity for 2 weeks, let alone 2 hours. Just try to discourage licking as a cat tongue will irritate the surgical area and saliva may cause an infection. Many people don't bother with the cone post-neuter.

Martian Eye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be staining from Betadine or whatever the vet used to disinfect the area as part of surgical prep. You can try gently wiping at the stain with a damp wash cloth to see if it comes off.

Neutered males bounce back quickly. I wouldn't even try to discourage activity for 2 weeks, let alone 2 hours. Just try to discourage licking as a cat tongue will irritate the surgical area and saliva may cause an infection. Many people don't bother with the cone post-neuter.
How would you discourage licking the wound without a cone?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Use typical behavior tactics: a firm NO and distract the cat with a toy. Repeat as needed.

Martian Eye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Small update: the redness has started to fade, so I think it was just some sort of disinfectant they used for the surgery. It's all good!