Post Neuter Care.

Knight's Cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its been 12 hours since neutering.
I just got my 6-7 months old male cat neutered at 4p.m on 21 Dec.
For the next 6 hours he was sleeping and around 10 woke up to have some food and water which he last took the night before.
Its 4a.m and he is still sleeping but he tries move out of the room from time to time.
During the night I noticed that his movements are quite uncoordinated and his eyes are quite shiny (Might be an ointment the vet put). But I also feel that he is not able to see things properly.
Also when he sleeps his eyelids are not closed completely and nictitating membranes are visible. Also he sleeps while sitting.
I am really unsure now whether going for op was the right call.
Any idea from your past experiences that till when will he be like this and any thing else that I must do for him?

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did they give him something for pain? There are some things that can make a cat loopy like that. I'd double check that with the veterinarian when you let them know what's going on with your kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Knight's Cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, the doctor said that he has given him a pain killer shot.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It takes awhile for the effects of anesthesia plus pain killers given right after surgery to wear off. Twelve hours is around the time it should start disappating, so if he doesn't seem to be getting better, definitely give the Vet a call and ask what you can do. I'm not aware of anything you can do at home, but they might be able to give him IV fluids to try to rid his body of the drugs more quickly. Is he wobbly on his feet? That's another sign that it's drug induced issues, which should wear off.

Knight's Cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes he was wobbly with his walk around 10 but now he seems quite confident. But sometimes his rear left leg twitches and moves forward before it was intended to.
Also his Eyes are dilated to the level where they nearly cover his eyeballs. Is this normal?
Any advice on litter usage after surgery?

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The biggest danger in neutering is the anesthesia, if the cat still seems off after so many hours, he is having issues with the anesthesia it seems, and should go back to the vet.

I do rescues, aside from having over 20 of my own cats, and out of all the fixing I have done, one ever had an issue with the anesthesia, and though she had different symptoms than you describe, there is still a thread of similarities, so I would take back to the vet first thing, because it is not normal what you are describing.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes the anesthesia can take a day to completely wear off. Also if he has had a pain shot he’s going to be a little disoriented. He should be fine but I’m sure your vet can help.

Knight's Cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its been 15 hours since neutering.
Leo has started walking normally and from what I notice his senses are also back to normal.
He still has those extra large pupils.
Since I have to take him back to the vet for 2 injections for post op care, I will let him know of his behavior.

Knight's Cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just to inform.
Thankfully the surgery went extremely well and he is now well and good and playing as good as he used to.