Post Lion cut/my 4.5 year old still not the same

merlinsmom

Mom to Moose, Squirrel, Dougie, Betty and Ferals
Adult Cat
Purraise
On January 11, I took my two 4.5 year old sibling boys to the groomer for the first time. The groomer is at their vet and they had a full work up and updated vaccines before they were groomed. They didn't have to be sedated and seemed to do fine. Squirrel, only had his belly shaved and his legs trimmed up, but my Moosie, my Alpha male and my strong baby, had a lion cut. After the initial vaccine sleepiness and getting over the ordeal, my squirrel and moose both were ok, though Moose seemed a little embarrassed and out of sorts at first. As the days have progressed he seems to be getting more and more lethargic. I had read and been told by others that had cats that had lion cuts that sometimes they can get depressed by the change etc. I assumed he was just cold and have made every effort to keep him warm with extra time in front of heaters, blankets etc. I have a sweater on order for him. But he just seems to be getting more and more lethargic and today he isn't even eating too much. I even shook the treat bag and he is my biggest treat hound and wouldn't even run for that. He is drinking, but I"m not sure how much he is eating.

Could he be having a latent reaction to the vaccines or is this really about him being depressed. I have hesitated calling the vet because overall he was ok, just acting a little weird and sleeping a little more which could be explained by him being cold. He isn't hiding or being aggressive, on the contrary he seems more patient and even sleep cuddled up to my 4 month old male kitten most of the day. Can him being cold really make him this tired all the time? I keep my house on the cool side, usually in the high 60s and I'm in a cold climate. I know cats can be weird about change and with him being the alpha in my house I just wonder about him. I've given him lots of extra attention and cuddles, but tonight he has me worried. I'm calling the vet when they open to see what they suggest, but I am really worried about him. He is one of my OG babies and if something like going to a groomer, that could have been avoided, has caused something serious wrong with him, I would just be crushed. Any ideas?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Two things - one, he hates the sweater being on him.
or
the other yes, delayed vaccine reactions can occur. My girl gets very lethargic, very out of character. They now give her a Benadryl injection beforehand, which has helped a lot.

If it were me I'd have the vet check him out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merlinsmom

Adult Cat
Purraise
He doesn't have a sweater yet, so not that. I am wondering if he has a fever or has caught something. Yes I'm calling the vet tomorrow

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good on you for calling the vet tomorrow. :) I'm a groomer and it's not unusual for a cat (or dog) to have a short clip and act weird for a few days (the sensation of air hitting their skin, when previously it was a thick coat, can sometimes feel really weird to them.) Have you noticed any redness or marks on where he was clipped down, or has he been licking a certain area? If not, my guess is either he is having a longer mild reaction to the vaccine or maybe picked up a bug at the grooming place. How old is he? I'm sure the vet will be able to help. :hugs:

merlinsmom

Adult Cat
Purraise
No red marks, no. I looked him over. Not licking either. He is 4.5 years old.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

merlinsmom

Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried to entice him with treats etc a bit ago, but he wasn't interested. Maybe tomorrow he will be. But he almost acts like he has a bug.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I tried to entice him with treats etc a bit ago, but he wasn't interested. Maybe tomorrow he will be. But he almost acts like he has a bug.
Does he like wet food at all?

merlinsmom

Adult Cat
Purraise
yes, he does, but he doesn't seem interested in anything right now. He acted like he wanted to but wanted to go back to sleep

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is he separated from the other cats so you can leave it down and see if he has any interest overnight?

merlinsmom

Adult Cat
Purraise
No, he isn't. He was earlier, today, but not now. I'm letting him sleep for now

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good idea. I hope the vet can see him tomorrow.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He doesn't have a sweater yet, so not that. I am wondering if he has a fever or has caught something. Yes I'm calling the vet tomorrow
Misread that part!
It could just be coincidence of timing but only that he's sick with something, it happens.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The groomer is at their vet and they had a full work up and updated vaccines before they were groomed.
If I read your post correctly, did the cats get an exam then vaccines and immediately following get groomed all in the same day?
If so, this was too stressful for them and I'm not surprised Moosie is very lethargic. Also do you know if the groomer used a loop around the cats neck? This could be an additional factor as to why he's acting out of sorts. I'm glad you will be calling the vet tomorrow and please keep us updated on his progress. :alright:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I read your post correctly, did the cats get an exam then vaccines and immediately following get groomed all in the same day?
If so, this was too stressful for them and I'm not surprised Moosie is very lethargic. Also do you know if the groomer used a loop around the cats neck? This could be an additional factor as to why he's acting out of sorts. I'm glad you will be calling the vet tomorrow and please keep us updated on his progress. :alright:
A grooming loop belongs on leash trained dogs and never, ever a cat. Some groomers will use harnesses (safer, I don't as most cats we see aren't harness trained), but this possibility is a great catch neely neely .

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Was this his first lion clip? They didn’t sedate? Do you know if he fought them at all? Try lifting up his lip and looking at his gums. Are they punk? If pink, take your finger and press till the gum is white, count how many seconds till it goes back to pink. Was he bathed?

merlinsmom

Adult Cat
Purraise
I have no idea how he was restrained. I’ll check his gums. He acted better when he was first home than now actually. I don’t know if he was bathed. I’m sure it’s in the notes somewhere. I have an appointment for him this morning at 9 am for the vet. His brother who only got a trim and belly shave is fine though.

merlinsmom

Adult Cat
Purraise
Just got home from vet. He has a UTI and he had a fever. He had lost over a lb in two weeks, so he hasn't been eating right. They gave him sub q fluids, antibiotic as a shot (didn't want to upset his stomach) and an appetite stimulant and anti in flammatories. I also bought some of the IQ wet food because I know how cats are with food if they get sick. I put some of that down and he went to it right away and ate it like crazy. I put on his appetite stimulant and have him in his own room for a bit so he can relax and I can monitor his food and urine output. Thanks for supporting me!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a little sweetie!

Glad you got him in to the vet; UTIs can be a real bear if they aren't caught early. And a cat not eating is always a cause for concern.

Margret