Post Dental Surgery

Lhaff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello- my 15 y/o cat had dental surgery 4-5 days ago (4 teeth removed) and was put on bupanorphine for pain. It did not seem to be giving her much relief so vet prescribed her small dose of gabapentin (25mg) in addition to the bupanorohine. She has been having severe diarrhea since about day 2 after surgery but I am told by the vet that neither of those medications should be causing the diarrhea. I have been feeding her pro plan wet food shreds in sauce which she seems to be eating ok, as long as she is on both meds. Does anyone have experience with diarrhea after dental surgery, or from either of the two meds? Vet prescribed her metronidazole to help with the diarrhea but when I gave her a dose with the gabapentin it seems to make her symptoms of wobbly/out of it much worse, where she is almost non-responsive. I stopped the metronidazole because I read some bad reviews and I was nervous with her reaction to it. Her diarrhea has still not gotten any better and I’m worried if I stop the pain meds she won’t eat. How long are pain meds usually given with that level of dental extraction. Thank you all in advance for any advice

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My experience with brupenorphine is terrible.
My cat was kind of stoned for nearly two days after just one injection of it, so the vet said no to repeat it the next two days. She was in pain due to a pancreatitis.
Other users in this forum had similar experiences with the same drug.

As for the dental extraction, I have an outdoor cat who had a full extraction a year ago, but as long as I remember she wasn't put on pain killer, but I could be wrong. She was on antinflammatory (prednicortone), though.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our cat was on Buprenex post-dental surgery and fortunately did not show any signs of diarrhea but definitely some lethargy. Both Buprenex and Gabapentin have side effects, one of them being diarrhea, so perhaps the combination of both those meds or the dosage is the culprit. You could try adding a little pure pumpkin to her food since the fiber in it can help with diarrhea. However, I would recommend contacting your vet and discussing your cat's side effects with them. Best of luck! :alright:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have found that drug induced diarrhea is often helped by using FortiFlora. Not always, but often. If not that, you might try Proviable for cats. These are both Probiotics, so IF you are also giving antibiotics (which can also cause diarrhea), be sure to give the probiotics at least two hours before or after the antibiotics

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible the vet gave your cat a long-lasting antibiotic shot if you weren't sent home with one to give her. Ask the vet about this. If you have an itemized bill, it may show up as "Convenia".

Gabapentin and buprenorphine often cause constipation. The anesthesia can sometimes cause some poop disturbances. But those resolve quickly as the anesthesia clears her body. With Krista, her first poop after anesthesia was usually "interesting" in one way or another--sometimes looser, sometimes harder depending on other meds she might have been given. If nothing else was bothering her gut at the time, this usually resolved by the next poop.

Sachharomyces boulardii is a much better probiotic for drug-induced diarrhea. Because it is yeast-based, it is not affected by antibiotics (which target bacteria.) Therefore the recommendation to separate probiotics and antibiotics by a couple of hours does not apply to s. boulardii. You can give her as much as a half capsule every few hours until the diarrhea resolves. Then half a capsule once or twice a day if she needs a maintenance dose. Many cats like the taste making it easy to mix into food.
My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lhaff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all! A few things I should have included: she was taking bupanorphine prior to surgery for about 2 weeks for pain until we could get some test results back and get the surgery done. It had no negative effects so I don’t think that is the culprit. She was given both convenia and meloxicam during surgery. Both of which I’ve heard mixed reviews…Thinking one of them may be the cause of her stomach issues?

As an update, her vet suggested taking her off the gabapentin and re-starting the metronidazole, both of which I did yesterday. She seems to be much more alert/herself but is still having diarrhea, although not as often. I was instructed to give it to her until Saturday night (3 full days) and see if it clears up. The vet also said I should not need a probiotic unless this all continues after Saturday. Luckily she is drinking and eating some, although not as much as normal which I think is to be expected. Hoping her diarrhea clears up with the metronidazole in the next few days, as I’m a bit concerned about dehydration since it has been going on for about 5 days.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah. The Convenia is most likely the suspect. Unfortunately, that's a long lasting antibiotic that can last 6 to 10 weeks. I had "No Convenia" put into Krista's file. Although it's convenient to not have to give antibiotics by mouth, especially after oral surgery, the only course for its side effects is to either play whack-a-mole with other meds (and their side effects) or ride it out. As you know, diarrhea is dehydrating, and shouldn't just be ridden out. But I don't know that metro is the answer either. Finish up the metro as prescribed because you don't want to breed antibiotic-resistant super bugs with a "too short" course. But I also encourage you to pick up the s. boulardii and give that anywhere from a half capsule every few hours to twice a day depending on how frequent and urgent the diarrhea is. There's nothing contraindicated (no interactions to worry about) that would prevent you from giving s. boulardii along with the metro.

This is the recommended brand of s. boulardii. You should be able to find it anywhere human probiotics are sold. Even though it doesn't require refrigeration, you may still find it in the refrigerated section with the other probiotics that do require it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013OVW0E/?tag=thecatsite

Here it is at Vitamin Shoppe. You may have one near you if you can't wait for Amazon's shipping.
Vitamin Shoppe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lhaff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is really helpful, thank you! I’ve heard lots of good things about s. boulardii but wasn’t sure which brand to get. I will try that!

MamaMačka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Give some good cat probiotics to cat. My cat had diarrhea 2 days after dental surgery but I think it was due to antibiotics.