post dental surgery question

KikiKami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my female cat (4yrs) got a broken fang removed on thursday, may 11. the vet told me it is normal for her to not have a bowel movement for a couple days due to the anesthesia and pain medications she was on. she had one bowel movement on saturday, may 13. it was quite large and wet but still solid. however, she has not had another one since. that means she is approaching 3 days with no poop. she is urinating like normal, eating like normal and only eating wet food currently.

when i asked the vet about it, she said she would not be concerned unless my cat doesnt poop by the end of the week. that would mean 6 days without a bowel movement if i waited and she doesnt go. does this seem normal? i am considering taking my cat to another vet if she doesnt go by tomorrow morning just to make sure.

the vet reccomended adding pumpkin to her diet, and when i mentioned miralax she said she would rather wait and let things happen naturally.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I personally think it seems like a bit long to wait. However, in addition to the anesthesia and pain meds, if your cat is used to at least part of her food being dry, a totally wet diet may also be impacting the amount of stool she will produce - especially so if she is eating less as well.

Is she still taking pain meds? Does she normally have daily BMs? Are you giving her pumpkin?

Maybe if she has not had a BM by tomorrow, call the vet and tell them how long it has been, and ask if she still wants to wait before trying some Miralax. Perhaps, she will reconsider, and let you try just 1/8 tsp added to her food. Most folks mix the Miralax with a tiny bit of water before adding to food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KikiKami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I personally think it seems like a bit long to wait. However, in addition to the anesthesia and pain meds, if your cat is used to at least part of her food being dry, a totally wet diet may also be impacting the amount of stool she will produce - especially so if she is eating less as well.

Is she still taking pain meds? Does she normally have daily BMs? Are you giving her pumpkin?

Maybe if she has not had a BM by tomorrow, call the vet and tell them how long it has been, and ask if she still wants to wait before trying some Miralax. Perhaps, she will reconsider, and let you try just 1/8 tsp added to her food. Most folks mix the Miralax with a tiny bit of water before adding to food.
she strongly prefers dry food and would eat about 130cals of that and 50-60cals of wet. shes on wet food only restriction for the next couple weeks tho, and has managed to get 140-180cals per day. so i guess she is eating less. she did not come home with any pain meds, but got a very strong topical one called zorbium that is supposed to last for 4 days, in addition to an onsior injection.

i am planning on running to the store after class and starting the pumpkin. i'm also thinking about buying miralax anyways, but i dont necessarily want to go against what the vet said... she isnt my normal vet, but one who has a clinic specializing in dental surgery.

roommate is watching her like a hawk to see if she goes while im gone. she does normally have daily bowel movements, maybe 36hours every once in a while. i just feel that if food is going it, it should be coming out. i certainly wouldn't want to go 6 days without "going", lol

KikiKami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
to add, i really doubt she's going to eat the pumpkin. shes extraordinarily picky and has refused it in the past when i got some for my roommates boy cat

KikiKami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat wouldn't likely eat pumpkin either! Would she eat her dry if you moistened it with water?
a few bites, but not more than that. shes difficult when it comes to food. i'll still try it, and ive been giving her delectables bisque treats since theyre basically pure liquid. hopefully a bit more time will get things moving, im just extremely paranoid about my kitties