post delivery bleeding in cats

Meme chan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:hellosmiley:

Meme delivered last Friday 6 healthy and beautiful kittens but this pregnancy was difficult on her, its the 1st time she was very weak before giving birth .. we noticed today that bleeding dots whenever she leaves the place, we thought at first its food leftovers (she tend to eat on the floor and make it messy sometimes) but it is blood dots, we are taking her to the vet tomorrow .. but what could this possibly be? and how to care for her for the meantime until tomorrow.

note:
her appetite before giving birth was much better and she takes vitamins once a week
now her appetite is good and she goes to the litter box as before
she doesn't drink much water as expected after each delivery (only first day she drank water heavily).

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are the kittens gaining weigh as they shall? The health of kittens is indirectly indicium for moms health... Her temp is normal? You can measure it in armpit of foreleg. Just observe its a little lower there than in the behind: 3F or 1Celsius.

You can always give her kmr or goats milk, with such a big litter she need every extra.

Good you are going to the vet. If your gut feeling tells something is amiss, better to to vet and make sure, than wait see and hope for the best...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meme chan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are the kittens gaining weigh as they shall? The health of kittens is indirectly indicium for moms health... Her temp is normal? You can measure it in armpit of foreleg. Just observe its a little lower there than in the behind: 3F or 1Celsius.

You can always give her kmr or goats milk, with such a big litter she need every extra.

Good you are going to the vet. If your gut feeling tells something is amiss, better to to vet and make sure, than wait see and hope for the best...
thank you very much for your reply
the kittens are slowly gaining weight, i kept them in a warm place and check them everyday.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is normal for mom cats to bleed for 7-10 days after delivering kittens. The blood does not sound like much if it is dots.

It should go from red to pink to brown and dry up completely over a few days. This is normal while the uterus heals.

A vet trip may not be necessary right now since she is otherwise acting normal.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How slowly? The average should be gain about 10g a day. May be more but shouldnt be much less!

thank you very much for your reply
the kittens are slowly gaining weight, i kept them in a warm place and check them everyday.

Meme chan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How slowly? The average should be gain about 10g a day. May be more but shouldnt be much less!

first two days they gained weight slowly but now they are much more heavy and stronger they even crawl..i don't know how much gram are they i only observe them from afar :)

Meme chan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is normal for mom cats to bleed for 7-10 days after delivering kittens. The blood does not sound like much if it is dots.

It should go from red to pink to brown and dry up completely over a few days. This is normal while the uterus heals.

A vet trip may not be necessary right now since she is otherwise acting normal.

thank you for your reply :)
the bleeding stopped the next day, i went to the vet right after that and he told me the same thing you wrote here that its alright for them to bleed after delivery ..
now she's doing great .. back to normal :)