Possibly Ringworm?

frankieloothy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll preface this by saying I just had my kitten seen by a vet and I've had her for 2 weeks. She was adopted from the humane society.

My kitten had been scratching her ear the last few days and today I noticed she'd scratched a raw spot on her ear so I took her to the vet. They said it may be ringworm but based on the visual examination they said it also may not be ringworm. She is being tested and I hope that it isn't ringworm as the whole disinfecting process would be awful.

I just wanted to post here and see if anyone has any experience with ringworm and could help ease my mind about it. I'll have confirmation in a few days but I'll post some pictures of the raw spot on her ear. Does it look like ringworm? The vet said it didn't look like ringworm but wants to get a test to be sure.

The vet mentioned it may just be allergies!

I also understand that any below responses are opinion and as I said before, she had been seen by the vet, has been prescribed some ointment for the raw spot on her ear, and is being tested for ringworm. However, any information to educate me on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Ringworm: A Serious but Readily Treatable Affliction

Ringworm in Cats

Ringworm and Cats: It's Not That Scary – The Barn Cat Lady

There are two articles here on The Cat Site under "Cat Articles" at the top left and for some reason those two, alone, are not accessible to me. You might have more luck. Of the two links I posted, I think that the VCA one is more informative and gives more help with the immediate environment. Ringworm is contagious to humans but with precautions should be preventable.

Yes, it looks as if it could be ringworm but I am not sure any more than your vet was. Vet did a skin scraping so you should know soon?

di and bob di and bob LTS3 LTS3 ?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be, but I'm seeing that other spot in the middle that looks like it could be a wound.Of course it could be allergies, but somehow doesn't look like it. Lets really hope it's not ringworm, but I wonder because it would have spread by now. I've seen it go from 1 spot to 6 or 7 in one day. Definitely keep putting the salve on it. If she gets another it most likely is ringworm. All the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frankieloothy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ringworm: A Serious but Readily Treatable Affliction

Ringworm in Cats

Ringworm and Cats: It's Not That Scary – The Barn Cat Lady

There are two articles here on The Cat Site under "Cat Articles" at the top left and for some reason those two, alone, are not accessible to me. You might have more luck. Of the two links I posted, I think that the VCA one is more informative and gives more help with the immediate environment. Ringworm is contagious to humans but with precautions should be preventable.

Yes, it looks as if it could be ringworm but I am not sure any more than your vet was. Vet did a skin scraping so you should know soon?

di and bob di and bob LTS3 LTS3 ?
Thank you for the articles and resources! I'll give them a good read! Vet said they should know the results in a few days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frankieloothy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone who responded! The vet called and said she doesn't have ringworm! He said she might be allergic to something so now I just need to figure out what she's allergic to! I'm glad it isn't ringworm though!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, that is one big relief. Hopefully you will be able to figure out what is the cause of this and it will soon be over.