Possibly Another Cat Dumped, Unsure What To Do

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Alright please don't judge me, this is making me feel sick as it is, and I feel guilty for even considering it. I haven't actually see the cat, just signs of there being one hanging around my house, paw prints in the snow, remains of a squirrel, stuff like that. I already have 10 cats, and I really don't think I can keep taking in dumped cats, I'm honestly not sure I can afford another animal right now. Is it wrong for me to just feed it, but leave it outside? There are 2 empty large dog houses outside (two of my dogs stay inside), both with hay inside, that it can stay in but as far as I can tell doesn't (I think it's currently sheltering in my roof). I can even get my husband to make a smaller cat size house for it, but do you think it's cruel of me to just let it live outside? I live in Northern Alberta, so it does get very cold here in the winter, even my outside dog comes inside at night when it gets really cold.

Or should I just accept that I have another cat, and get the cat trap baited and set, and the room prepared again for the new addition. Taking it to a shelter is not an option, the shelters around here are already overflowing with cats, they aren't accepting any at this time, some have even temporarily stopped even putting people on a wait list to get cats into the shelter or foster home. That is probably the reason why yet another has been dumped here, I live on an acreage out in the middle of farm country.

I know it's not my fault it got dumped here, it shouldn't be my responsibility, but I can't just do nothing, and turn a blind eye. Well, I mean I can, but the cat will likely die. I can't save them all, but what am I suppose to do?

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cared for a feral cat who wouldn't come inside, and he survived some brutal winters--a few had stretches of Temps in sub zero with snow and ice. He survived fairly comfortably because I provided him with a good shelter (a wooden cat house) on my porch. After a few years of using a self-warming thermal pad with straw (not hay, that retains moisture), I got him an outdoor pet heating pad for his house. He loved his little house, and when it snowed I placed a sleeping bag over it allowing enough room for him to crawl in and out. I fed him a lot. So it's possible for you to care for a cat outdoors. There are a number of threads on this forum discussing outdoor shelters, and some people make their own. It would be great if you can get the cat spayed or neutered, but you'll want to hold off on that if it's a female who needs to have her belly shaved since it's winter and she needs that fur. My neighbors and I have taken in many stray and feral cats in recent years, but the current one on our block we are caring for outdoors. She's in a heated dog house and is fed regularly. The vet believes she's already been spayed, and she gets monthly Frontline. She seems content outdoors, but if she were skck or injured, one of us would bring her inside. We are not awful people for not bringing her inside now, and neither are you if you don't bring cat number ten inside. It's great you're caring for these cats. We do the best we can with the resources we have.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a feral tom that has lived outside for ten years. Your new little one will do fine if it has enough food to keep warm. I have a electric water bowl and got an extra to put the food in too during the really cold days. A smaller house with straw would be fine, I wrap mine in old quilts. I have electric outdoor pads in mine and they are always in use during the really cold parts of winter. My heating pads have lasted for 5 years now, so a good investment, I get mine on Amazon or on sale at a local farm supply center.
Don't feel guilty, there is a limit on how many cats you can help, and ten is a lot of responsibility. Just put out a shelter, leave food, and know he is eternally grateful for your help. It can seem overwhelming at times, I know, but usually it somehow works out. I have buried a lot of these innocent angels, (due to the road) but am happy knowing I at least made their time here on earth a little happier. Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I cared for a feral cat who wouldn't come inside, and he survived some brutal winters--a few had stretches of Temps in sub zero with snow and ice. He survived fairly comfortably because I provided him with a good shelter (a wooden cat house) on my porch. After a few years of using a self-warming thermal pad with straw (not hay, that retains moisture), I got him an outdoor pet heating pad for his house. He loved his little house, and when it snowed I placed a sleeping bag over it allowing enough room for him to crawl in and out. I fed him a lot. So it's possible for you to care for a cat outdoors. There are a number of threads on this forum discussing outdoor shelters, and some people make their own. It would be great if you can get the cat spayed or neutered, but you'll want to hold off on that if it's a female who needs to have her belly shaved since it's winter and she needs that fur. My neighbors and I have taken in many stray and feral cats in recent years, but the current one on our block we are caring for outdoors. She's in a heated dog house and is fed regularly. The vet believes she's already been spayed, and she gets monthly Frontline. She seems content outdoors, but if she were skck or injured, one of us would bring her inside. We are not awful people for not bringing her inside now, and neither are you if you don't bring cat number ten inside. It's great you're caring for these cats. We do the best we can with the resources we have.
When i say very cold, I am talking -40s or below is not uncommon especially in January and February. There is currently 1-2 feet of snow on the ground, it's been here since Nov 1st and will likely stick around until June. This would also be cat 11, I have 10 cats in the house already. I would use straw if I could find it, it was either use hay for my dog houses or nothing. I also have no way to transport straw even if I found it, my husband's truck is broken, so all we have is a small car right now. I have a small (couple acre) hay field so hay is plentiful. I can get my husband to make a shelter, we have wood and even fiberglass insulation and sheets of foam insulation that we can line the walls with (wood/insulation/wood). Of course I will get it to the vet, when I can, but I don't know if it's male or female, and probably wont unless I catch it since I haven't actually seen it, just signs of it.

I have a feral tom that has lived outside for ten years. Your new little one will do fine if it has enough food to keep warm. I have a electric water bowl and got an extra to put the food in too during the really cold days. A smaller house with straw would be fine, I wrap mine in old quilts. I have electric outdoor pads in mine and they are always in use during the really cold parts of winter. My heating pads have lasted for 5 years now, so a good investment, I get mine on Amazon or on sale at a local farm supply center.
Don't feel guilty, there is a limit on how many cats you can help, and ten is a lot of responsibility. Just put out a shelter, leave food, and know he is eternally grateful for your help. It can seem overwhelming at times, I know, but usually it somehow works out. I have buried a lot of these innocent angels, (due to the road) but am happy knowing I at least made their time here on earth a little happier. Keep us posted!
I don't think I can get a heating pad that plugs in, I only have one outlet outside, and there is already a lot on it. I can try finding one of those self heated pads though. I can't get straw, any other ideas for bedding? I am using hay because that is what I have. There is already a heated water bucket outside, my cats use it too. It might be a few week before I can do any improvements other then giving it food, I have to wait for my husband to have a day off again.

There is also a real possibility it could leave anyway, most I've seen over the years I see once and then never again. Or I do see them again but they meet unfortunate ends, I know two were shot, one was run over (all by the same neighbor). My cats also normally chase off other cats or my dogs scare them away, and as I said my human neighbors have been known to shoot strays on their property. This area is also not lacking for animal predators either. This one has been around for at least a week or two though, so my dogs haven't scared it at least. I've been trying to convince myself it's just my cats, but things like paw prints appearing in the fresh snow when my cats are inside doesn't add up. The last cat I took in was in October last year and I am just now able to pet her, when she allows it. The one I took in a few years ago still doesn't allow human contact, but also has no desire to go back outside.

I'm sorry for the long post, I just feel conflicted. I keep thinking, what is one more? Why does one cat deserve a chance at a comfy spoiled life but the next one doesn't? It's not fair. :(

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you been leaving food out for the cat? Perhaps a starting point would be to put food out for it and make sure it really is a cat and not some other small animal. If it's 40 below zero then I don't know how any cat could survive that long outside. But a starting point would be just to make sure it is a cat, see what kind of shape he is in, and provide him with food and water.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you been leaving food out for the cat? Perhaps a starting point would be to put food out for it and make sure it really is a cat and not some other small animal. If it's 40 below zero then I don't know how any cat could survive that long outside. But a starting point would be just to make sure it is a cat, see what kind of shape he is in, and provide him with food and water.
Yes I have been leaving food out the past few days, I left a couple cups worth of food out last night in a container and this morning there was an empty spot in the middle of the food
like that, lol. It looks like it came back and ate some more since this morning too. I'm also not sure what else would leave cat shaped paw prints in the snow, so I'm pretty sure it's a cat. I also keep thinking I see a small black cat for a second, but then it's gone, but it could just be shadows playing tricks on me.

It's not -40 yet, just saying that it can get that cold in the winter here. It's been warmer so it's only down to about 15F (-9C) outside right now, but just couple weeks ago it was down to close to -20F (-28C).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Perhaps you could trap the cat, bring him inside for the winter, see that he's neutered (or spayed), and take it from there.

You might feel less conflicted knowing the cat is safe and warm!

A home can be found later. Negative 40 is brutal weather!

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Alright, after asking around and getting opinions, I've put the trap outside with food in it, but not set yet. If the cat goes in to eat tonight I'll set the trap for real tomorrow. If nothing else I'll have to get it checked out, fixed, and shots so it doesn't cause any problems for my other cats. I'll see what happens, at most I can trying calling the shelters if I have to and let them know I can care for it until they have an opening if they are willing to take it.

I'll keep you updated on my progress, with pics too when I catch it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First off, thank you for taking in and caring for your current 10 cats. And for your concern about the newbie. :hearthrob:

As the owner of one inside cat, that I chose to adopt, I'm certainly not the person to give you advice. However, it does seem that if you have space, and your other cats won't get stressed, bringing the newbie inside would be the less expensive solution, especially with winter already in your part of the country, thus the need for a safe and warm shelter.

It's so sad that there's so many cat owners who don't care, and think it's fine to dump their "problem" for someone else to worry about. :petcat:

I hope the trapping goes well, and the kitty is in good health. Thanks again for caring. :catrub: And, yes, post pics when you can. :camera:

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update, still no cat in the trap. It must have gone in the other night because the food was gone, so I set it with wet food yesterday, but it was very windy, like house rattling windy, so it was probably hiding. I put a very small amount (maybe a few dozen kibbles) of dry food in last night in case the wet food froze, no cat, but it looks like mice ate the dry food. I dumped the wet food in the indoor trash this morning, it had mouse poop in it :barfgreen:, and replaced it with fresh.
I also just noticed long soft whitish fur all around the cat door leading to the area the trap is too (we put a door closing off one half of the lean to were the firewood is, with a hole cut out at the bottom for the cats). None of my cats are white (two are long haired tuxedo, but the fur doesn't match and there is only white fur), so either my collie stuck his head in the cat door, or the new cat is at least mostly white.

More worrying though, I saw a coyote earlier today near a clump of trees about 100 ft from my house, running away from the direction of my house into the treeline. Coyotes are a very common/normal sight here, and I hear them every night, so it could be just coincidence.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know it's only been a couple days, and was windy the other day, but I'm starting to second guess myself. Since I set the trap I have only seen evidence of mice eating the food, could it have been mice all along? Could mice really eat a cup of dry cat food in a night? Also any idea on deterring the mice? I didn't mind feeding a stray or feral cat, but I would prefer not to be feeding the mice.

I have yet to actually see the cat, I know it can take time to trap a cat, but normally I at least have seen it. I mean I saw cat paw prints when it snowed last week, so I know there at least was a cat here, but maybe it's gone now and I have just fooled myself into thinking it's still here because mice are eating the cat food. How long should I wait before deciding that the cat is probably not here anymore?

My husband is thinking the white fur is just my collie's fur, until proven otherwise. It could have been wishful thinking on my part, I want a white cat (or really anything other then brown or black for a change), lol. Since he hasn't seen the cat either he doesn't seem too convinced there even is one.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that this cat may have been trapped before? Do people in your area trap cats or do TNR? If that is the case, most cats who have been trapped will not go into a trap again. If the weather is brutal, one thing you might consider doing is putting out a bowl of dry food beside the trap so the cat won't starve, and put some smelly food like tuna fish inside the Trap. Then sit vigil through the sunset and early night hours, watching through your window to see whether or not the cat is coming by, or if it is another creature who has been eating the food. I am assuming the Trap is within view of your house? If not, can you place it within view? I have always sat vigil when placing a trap for a cat so I could immediately get the cat to the vet, or bring the cat inside my warm home, so the cat wouldn't have to panic for long inside of the Trap. I suppose if the cat has moved on, or it wasn't a cat in the first place, you will have relief and peace of mind. But I think you will need to know for sure before you stop leaving food or a trap out.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just went to check where I saw the coyote the other day, and it clearly caught something over there... it could have been a rabbit or something, but it also could have been the cat. Cat food was being eaten every night, I put trap out and food was eaten, set trap and see coyote, and food now only eaten by mice. This does not sound good. I guess I should have just set the trap right away... :( Unless it was greedy mice all along, and the cat prints I saw in the snow last week are from a cat that was here but left, and the dead squirrel was from maybe a weasel that got scared off after the kill? I'm so confused. :confused:

People in my area shoot cats they don't want, so no they don't do TNR, unless it was trapped by someone elsewhere and brought out here. I live out in farmland, so some people have barn cats, but since strays tend to cause fights with their cats due to invasion of territory the farmer's solution is to shoot them. Others just simply don't like cats, I have one neighbor that will even shoot dogs. The only "trapping" going on around here is fur trappers and that is a completely different trap. Something went into the trap the first night I put the trap out, before it was set, and ate about a cup of dry cat food, but since it's been set I only see nibbles taken here and there clearly from mice (mouse poo everywhere). I've been putting smelly fish cat food in the trap and dry food as well, I even sprinkled cat nip in and on the trap yesterday.

The weather right now is actually nice, upper 30s F, which is part of my impatience, my cats want out, lol. The warm weather is bring mice out of hiding and my cats have a job to do and are eager to get to work. I currently have the trap closed so I can let the cats out, I'll open it again tonight or when they come inside for the day. The trap is in my front lean to/porch area ( I really don't know what to call it, veranda maybe? it's an extension of the roof almost the length of the house outside the front door where we can park the car under) I have half, where the trap is, mostly closed off so it's out of the wind and snow and it's where we store the firewood for the wood stove. I have to go outside to see it, all windows look out into the yard or driveway, and I don't want to put the trap in the snow. I've been wanting to get a security cam, and am hoping to get one for Christmas, but that doesn't help me right now.

I'll try for a bit longer setting the trap at night, let my cats out during the day to hunt, but I don't want to be wasting food feeding mice.

I guess if nothing else I got my answer, which is, no I can not just feed a stray in the winter if I can't provide a heated shelter. I guess I forget that although other people around here have outside only barn cats, they also have heated barns!